IEL Pioneer Find And Need Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damocles

Reaction score
Hello to everyone here. I'm new to the site and I am new to a saw that I just picked up. I am reaching out to any of you who can offer me your words of wisdom. Here's my story:

Each Thursday on a random month there is a local guy outside of town that has a sale out of his barn. He cleans out storage units, rentals, you name it, and sells what he hauls in. And quickly for cheap because he gets a lot of stuff. This Thursday I went early and saw my saw.

I didn't know what it was at first. It looked like a fuzzy ball of dirt with a handle attached and looked roughly like a large engine with a tiny chainsaw bar extending from it. I confirmed my suspicion when I found a handle, pulled it, and the chain blade spun loose from the dirt. Indeed, a chainsaw! I also spotted another saw at the same time I was asking what he wanted for the first. He said, "I can’t say it will run. I'm selling it as yard art. People put this stuff in their yard and let it rust as art. You can have it for five bucks and the other one for five". The other is a Homelite 150 Automatic, and frozen solid, so I told him I would pass on that one and take the big ball of dirt. He then told me to take them both and just give him five dollars total.

So here is what I have. It’s a very complete IEL Pioneer HM model. It was covered in very old oily saw dust and after brushing off the bulk of it, it looks like it kept it pretty much free from rust and corrosion. In fact, it still has the orig. decals. The problem is that the paint and the decals are lifting off of the aluminum and that’s just dusting off the dirt dry with out any cleaners. I took the before pictures because I’m pretty sure I’m going to loose these. And I hate the fact the decals are going to be lost. I will post after shots if anyone wants me to.

Here are the things I’m looking to learn:

-How do you work the carburetor? I understand some of the basics of it, but not all. The gas tank is full of dry shellac, too. So I’m guessing the carb will need to be taken apart and cleaned along with the tank. Can I get a rebuild kit if I need to? Unless there is a trick to flushing it out, I would like to know.

-Is the copper fuel line orig? I see restorations and they all look like they have been updated to rubber tubing.

-Seeing that this saw hasn’t been run for a LONG time, I bet every moving part in it is dry. Any advice on fluid types and where they need to go would be appreciated. I don’t want to burn the machines guts out before I even get a chance to really run it.

-The clutch bulging out of the side…is it safe to remove and clean w/o a bunch of irreplaceable parts shooting out? I know it sounds stupid, but I’m not familiar with it.

Please feel free to dumb it down for me as much as possible and give any extra pointers you have. I am seriously a babe, lost in the woods, with a chainsaw.

Latest posts

Back