If Dolmar is so good, then why so few dealers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also wrench my own saw and every thing for that mater!I don't want to buy a life time supply of air filters when I buy my saw, and what if I break something, even a side cover I am up **** creek with out a paddle

Not really..........the parts are there...........just a little harder to get!!!

Had a Husky homeowner customer here this morning ranting on how he WON"T buy another Husky. I dont know the model but it was less than a week out of warranty period and had a Air Leak somewhere that was a sealer not a gasket issue and his dealer nor husky would not do anything for him. They told him to throw it away cause it would cost too much to fix it. He comes here to me looking for a non throw away type of saw and is deciding between the PS6400 and the PS5100 and will be back tomorrow to make his purchase. Sure I could have pushed him into a sale today but im not that pushy of a guy..

Part II
Well this customer came back in the store about 3 hours later.. And had walked himself up to the PS7300 20" Here's the catch you husky lovers the Quote Throw away Husky was not a Husky at all It was a Jonsy 2050e which did have a major air leak.. I took it in trade and sold him the new Dolmar he is a very satisfied customer. A rookie sure..... I took some extra time to show him basic maintenance of the saw also a sharpening lesson. Now hes ready for the forest..

Scott

I agree with everyone on this post. Not a single person has said that Dolmar doesn't build a great saw at a solid price. The biggest concern lies with the dealers (or lack thereof) and distribution of parts and saws here in the US.

We have been with the big D since 1993. No way near as long as the Boys up to the Cutting Edge, but long enough to know that we like Dolmar equipment...all of it.

Ever hear a PS-341 / 401 out of the box? Have you ever heard a toothpick cutter with that solid mellow tone? Smooth power for a small saw and stupid easy to start?

On the horizon I'm seeing a re-vamp of the 341 and 401 to look a lot like the 460-5100 models. Most saws are starting to have available full-wrap handles and heated handles slow but sure. We'll see the first 4-cycle chainsaw from Dolmar soon enough.

Better dealers are needed. Stop in to your local place that you love for mower service, or you saw shop that maybe doesn't sell a major brand. See if you can make a dealer. I know that we are having a hard time keeping 5100 and 7900 in stock. Also the 341 / 401 are doing well. We only stock the 341-5100 and the 7900. We're holding up our order until the fall program comes out for Dolmar. Hopefully we will see some specials along with new saw models for the 07/08 season.

DolmaratO's:

If Dolmar were to offer new models or change existing ones, what do you think they would offer/do?.

Possibly add another saw or two in the lineup as well as maybe decompresion on the 5100's?

Word on the street is a 34 and 40 cc saw that is basically an 8-9 lb, 2.1-2.5 HP version of a PS-460.

I've never seen a need for a decomp valve on a 5100.....but I agree with Scott that it could be an option. If I sold more saws I'd set a few up with valve cylinders and charge the difference as an upgrade price. The problem would be a surplus of extra cylinders because the darn saws don't seem to nuke a cylinder like a shiny new Husky. HaHa.

As far as I'm concerned Dolmar doesn't need more saws in their line-up. They could actually eliminate some saws like the 7300 model and bring the price of the 7900 down a bit to make less of a gap to the 6400.

I prefer as few saws as possible to cover the bases. Stihl has a cajillion models of saw. Most of them overlap each other at some point. I stock 7 models of Dolmar saw (excluding the 3410TH no arborist customers yet) PS-341, 401, 460, 510, 5100, 6400, 7900. I haven't found a real need for any others. We offer all the B/C combinations for every saw in stock and also handle the VERY kick-azz electric saw.

I'd like to see all the 3 cube and under saws come with a case from the factory. Also, I'd like to see Dolmar or even the IDN putting some $$$ in advertising not just to dealers but to the end consumer!

Better dealers are needed. Stop in to your local place that you love for mower service, or you saw shop that maybe doesn't sell a major brand. See if you can make a dealer. I know that we are having a hard time keeping 5100 and 7900 in stock. Also the 341 / 401 are doing well. We only stock the 341-5100 and the 7900. We're holding up our order until the fall program comes out for Dolmar. Hopefully we will see some specials along with new saw models for the 07/08 season.

There were a few Sachs-Dolmars floating around here in the mid 80's, but they have been virtually unheard of since then. I got a 7900 off of ebay, and loved it so I talked the guy who has the firewood lot I sell to into becoming a dealer. I sent several people to him who bought saws, and I bought a couple. Now (and I wont pretend to know all the details) he, and Dolmar are having a falling out. Something about he isn't selling enough saws to get the prices they told him origionally.
If this is right, I think it is a mistake on Dolmar's part. This is an established Stihl, and Husky market, and they are trying to break into it with a saw that most people have never heard of, and the rest of us haven't seen in 20+ years. I feel that if these new dealers are going to stick their necks out to try to break into a market, then Dolmar should do all they can to help them out. My dealer no longer stocks any saw's. If you want one he will order it for you, but he's not pushing them hard anymore.

Andy

Rog, where do you find dealer support here in the PNW... I have yet to even see a Dolmar/Makita saw, little alone a dealer.

I would try a Dolmar before a Husqvarna anyday.

Gary

While there is a Dolmar dealer near me (North City Mower and Saw), they've sold few saws....and if I need something, I call Bailey's.

All I care about in a saw line is how they run, work, and last. It doesn't bother me that Husky sells to box stores, or that Dolmar's dealer network is poor. Husky has awesome saws......to me the 335/338's are as good as 200T Stihl, the 346 is better than the 260, 357 and 361--- close call, 372 better than 044, lighter than 046. The 3120 is fine, but the 088 is prolly better. 066 is lighter than the 395...385/390 I have no interest in.....Durability issue is moot....they all work..and last. and occasionally break down....

While there is a Dolmar dealer near me (North City Mower and Saw), they've sold few saws....and if I need something, I call Bailey's.

All I care about in a saw line is how they run, work, and last. It doesn't bother me that Husky sells to box stores, or that Dolmar's dealer network is poor. Husky has awesome saws......to me the 335/338's are as good as 200T Stihl, the 346 is better than the 260, 357 and 361--- close call, 372 better than 044, lighter than 046. The 3120 is fine, but the 088 is prolly better. 066 is lighter than the 395...385/390 I have no interest in.....Durability issue is moot....they all work..and last. and occasionally break down....

Awwww Rb, better watch out for da westcoast Leopard, he'll be haunting you....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

.... Possibly add another saw or two in the lineup as well as maybe decompresion on the 5100's?

It is an enigma that it is not offered yet. The European PS5000 use the same cylinder, and has been offered with a decomp valve as an option for years.
I think I read that Cuttinscott has put that cylinder on some 5100Ss that he has sold.....

Anyway, it isn't needed - the 5100S is an easy starter, imo, and I am not a "Super-hunky"...:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

Last edited:
Wowzer RB!!!!!!

All I care about in a saw line is how they run, work, and last. It doesn't bother me that Husky sells to box stores, or that Dolmar's dealer network is poor. they all work..and last. and occasionally break down....

Dont you have a 5100s w/a pipe that you climb with??? have you had a parts issue with your Dolmar yet?????? just curious????

Last edited:
Whats a DUB BTW???? :monkey: :monkey: :monkey:

A rim > 20". Like the ones on this car. You know you want some!:laugh:

406231_3_full.jpg

Dont you have a 5100s w/a pipe that you climb with??? have you had a parts issue with your Dolmar yet?????? just curious????

Nothing serious, Rick.....I've rarely needed parts. A coupla times, though, it took Bailey's quite some time to obtain the parts. No problem for me, as I have enough saws to run two or more crews..but only have one, 99% of the time.

The piped 5100 aloft is just for shi t and giggles, and bragging rights.

Latest posts

Back