If Dolmar is so good, then why so few dealers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply SawTroll. I did not think to check if there was a 5000 model Dolmar. One thing though, I think the Makita 5001 has a slightly different handle and clutch cover compared to a pic of the Dolmar 5000.

I have attached a link.

http://www.dolmar.com/site/managed/images/8832/source.jpg

How does the Makita compare to your 5100 in that respect. Is it likely the Makita could be the 5100 or is this just cosmetic. I know I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, but I would like to hear your opinion.
:confused:

Dolmar has Marketing ?:confused: Could have fooled me. When I was in the market for 2 saws and specifically wanted to buy a Dolmar 5100 & 7900 none were available locally and on line sales officially a no no :dizzy: I bought Husky and know that 2 lost sales will not break Dolmar but magnify that times the number of others who wanted to buy Dolmar. Evidently Dolmar USA doesn't care if they sell saws or not. I still may buy a 5100 & 7900 when I find someone willing to sell. I'm not going to beg a Dealer to sell me a Dolmar, do a secret handshake or meet them in the parking lot at midnight. Just a Dealer who is willing to sell a product at a reasonable price and honor the product warranty. I do not live in a city but in a very rural environment and almost all of my neighbors own chainsaws. This is the market I'd want to be in if I was Dolmar and have positive word of mouth advertising. Instead, they have very little market share, little name recognition other than the Dolmar/Sachs name and an out dated dealership list that do not even stock their products.

I think that the 5100 & 7900 are fine chainsaws but evidently Dolmar is content with being legendary (in their own mind) and not supplying the chainsaw mass market with a quality product. I even thought about calling New Jersey but figured I'd get Tony Soprano sitting at his desk at Bada Bing or out front at a pork store with the FBI taping the telephone call. :dizzy: So we both lost; I didn't get the saws I wanted and Dolmar lost 2 chain saw sales. Not a very good way to run a business in my humble opinion but what do I know and before I hear the jeers, I'm not knocking the Dolmar product but I am strongly criticizing the lack of an adequate marketing sales strategy.
:greenchainsaw:

Just as fast as a 346 in 2" pine In 12" the Dolmar will smoke it. Steve

Yes, unless the 346xp is a New Edition 50cc one.

One of the "unmentionable" top saw modders beat his 5100Ss on his first attemt on the new 346 (Rocky Js saw).....

We have both, stock minus the spark arrestors, but they aren't run in because of our health problems this summer, so I will not compare them yet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply SawTroll. I did not think to check if there was a 5000 model Dolmar. One thing though, I think the Makita 5001 has a slightly different handle and clutch cover compared to a pic of the Dolmar 5000.

I have attached a link.

How does the Makita compare to your 5100 in that respect. Is it likely the Makita could be the 5100 or is this just cosmetic. I know I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, but I would like to hear your opinion.

The 5000 has a "Plastic" handlebar, and the 5100 a metal one, if that is what you refer to.
The clutch cover on that Dolmar 5000 looks exactly like the one on Witchys 5100S.

Dolmar has Marketing ?:confused: Could have fooled me. When I was in the market for 2 saws and specifically wanted to buy a Dolmar 5100 & 7900 none were available locally and on line sales officially a no no :dizzy: I bought Husky and know that 2 lost sales will not break Dolmar but magnify that times the number of others who wanted to buy Dolmar. Evidently Dolmar USA doesn't care if they sell saws or not. I still may buy a 5100 & 7900 when I find someone willing to sell. I'm not going to beg a Dealer to sell me a Dolmar, do a secret handshake or meet them in the parking lot at midnight. Just a Dealer who is willing to sell a product at a reasonable price and honor the product warranty. I do not live in a city but in a very rural environment and almost all of my neighbors own chainsaws. This is the market I'd want to be in if I was Dolmar and have positive word of mouth advertising. Instead, they have very little market share, little name recognition other than the Dolmar/Sachs name and an out dated dealership list that do not even stock their products.

I think that the 5100 & 7900 are fine chainsaws but evidently Dolmar is content with being legendary (in their own mind) and not supplying the chainsaw mass market with a quality product. I even thought about calling New Jersey but figured I'd get Tony Soprano sitting at his desk at Bada Bing or out front at a pork store with the FBI taping the telephone call. :dizzy: So we both lost; I didn't get the saws I wanted and Dolmar lost 2 chain saw sales. Not a very good way to run a business in my humble opinion but what do I know and before I hear the jeers, I'm not knocking the Dolmar product but I am strongly criticizing the lack of an adequate marketing sales strategy.
:greenchainsaw:

I'm busted Yep, I'm the one that has the secret handshake and yes we meet behind the local Wal-Marts ( everybody knows where they are ). :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

No Really, I agree with you about their marketing etc. I am given NO Money to spend on advertising. I really don't think they give a :censored: about their dealers. I'm not a small dealer of their's nor the largest but the communication I have is limited to my Dist salesman. Dolmar USA can only send me messages by them. I have called Dolmar USA for technical advise only to be told I need to call my Dist. I guess they are to busy to Talk with me or call me. They have sent emails to my dist. and then the Dist fowards to me. One way to communicate I guess. By the way my Dist didn't know the answers so I figured it out on my own. I believe in the product and sell it without question because it's good stuff, we just need more communication from Dolmar. In order to get more dealers Dolmar will have to hire People that would help Dealers. If they don't address these small issues they will never be a competetive threat to Stihl or Husqvarna.

I have attached a link.

The 5000 and the 4600S are Europe versions, the 5100S is the US one, and preferable in this case - that is why Witchy made me order one from Scott & Steve at The Cutting Edge....

They are really nice guys to deal with!! :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
All interesting posts but in my area I call a dealer and ask if they have a saw in stock give the part number then get a reply what! Maybe now that are Dollar is worth more than a Yankee buck I will order me that 7900.

A quiet afternoon. I read through the this thread and it still sounds as if Dolmar has changed little from a year or so ago when I was looking at them. I went with a 346xp. For under 5 inches, it works fine. Just curious if Husky noticed the 5100 also and upped their 346 a little. If so, it was a good move. Maybe a new 346xp in my future..

A quiet afternoon. I read through the this thread and it still sounds as if Dolmar has changed little from a year or so ago when I was looking at them. I went with a 346xp. For under 5 inches, it works fine. Just curious if Husky noticed the 5100 also and upped their 346 a little. If so, it was a good move. Maybe a new 346xp in my future..

I think that was exactly what happened, but they put some EPA friendlyness into ot as well, to keep it on the market a bit longer. Mine does not have a cat muffler, but they all have in Sweden, and in the US as well, I believe.....:cheers:

Last edited:
Yes, unless the 346xp is a New Edition 50cc one.

One of the "unmentionable" top saw modders beat his 5100Ss on his first attemt on the new 346 (Rocky Js saw).....

We have both, stock minus the spark arrestors, but they aren't run in because of our health problems this summer, so I will not compare them yet.

Were they both stock. Lots of people don't spend 2,3,or 4 hundred to get a saw modded. Didn't Husky up the cc's to make up for EPA? Steve

I have read elsewhere where the new 346 cylinder porting inside resembles that of the 5100S.

Thought the 346 had 4 port cylinders already.

Not like that.

MODDER- When I look into this motor I get the feeling someone had looked inside a 5100 because there are things that are kind of the same between new 346 and 5100, now this saw does not have as low of porting numbers to start with but they are not that far away from the 5100.

Last edited:
Thought the 346 had 4 port cylinders already. Maybe wait and see what a stock 346 50cc does againt a 5100s Dolmar. Steve

Choose the saw you like and whatever brand gives you the best service in your area.............they won't be that far apart!!!

Choose the saw you like and whatever brand gives you the best service in your area.............they won't be that far apart!!!

+1
From what I read Rah is right. stock and modded they are so close I think it would come down to operator and chain.
Get the best bang for the buck with dealer support if you need it.

Still sounds like the ole 346 in the 8x8's for gtg's is the go getter and limber still when modded.

Last edited:
im guessing you can find a dealer locally

All interesting posts but in my area I call a dealer and ask if they have a saw in stock give the part number then get a reply what! Maybe now that are Dollar is worth more than a Yankee buck I will order me that 7900.

I had the same initial response from larger stihl & husky dealers until I met a local smaller shop [grants small motors in Sidney] who advertised a dolmar weadeater. I asked about a chain saw and he was incredulous that I would want one; he had just days earlier flat out told the dist rep no way. At my insistence he brought in a full wrap 7900 and a couple 5100s for me. I pointed him and the bemused dist rep to this site.
Grants decided to stock them...
He has since been moving them as other tree co owners wander in and ask about them. Another saw shop in town is carrying them as well.

On a side note, I have been using saws for 16 years and the 5100 has impressed me the most. Just don't let them sell you that junk anti kick back chain with it...

Back