If not 5100s, then...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darl Bundren

Darl Bundren

ArboristSite Lurker
Hey, all. My local (only) Dolmar dealer said he'd order me a 5100s and that it would be in "sometime next week." Well, it's almost the end of the week he referred to, and he hasn't called yet. I am going to call down there this afternoon to see what's up. Is a wait for a Dolmar saw typical for dealers? He said the 5100 was their most popular saw.

I am getting tired of waiting and am looking at Stihl and Husky saws. I am looking for a comparable, all-around saw for firewood--I like the 5100s because of the combination of price and performance.

I am looking at the MS280, the Husky 353, 359, and 346xp. If you could own one of these saws for general firewood cutting (probably infrequent felling), which would you choose, and why?

I'll probably only ever have one saw at a time, I don't really want to mod anything, and I want to have a local dealer. I am hoping the 5100s will be here by this weekend.

I have searched and read most of the threads on these saws and appreciate your patience with another "which saw for me" thread. I had it all figured out, and now? Well, it may not all be figured out anymore...

Peacock

Peacock

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'd wait on the Dolmar.

But....... if I had to choose between the saws you listed I'd go for the 359 or 280. More cc's and more torque. I prefer a bit more grunt when cutting firewood. I understand that the NE346 has more torque, but it would have to be a LOT more torque than the old 346 had.

sugarbush

sugarbush

ArboristSite Guru

shouldn,t take that long, if I order by 3:00 i'll have it by the next afternoon.
-- but then again he should have that saw in stock. call him up and light a fire under him. no excuse for that kind of service.

HUSKYMAN

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Mine had to be ordered, and it was there the next day. 2-3 days should be the max.

Tell the dealer you really want a 5100, but he needs to get off his ass or you will go elsewhere.

BTW the 5100 is worth the wait

Toyjunkie

Toyjunkie

ArboristSite Operative
I ordered mine on Monday around 2pm and the UPS man will here today. At least that is what the on-line tracking is saying. :clap:

It's like Chistmas all over again, but this time I get something that I wanted.

dugide

dugide

ArboristSite Operative
I ordered mine on Monday around 2pm and the UPS man will here today. At least that is what the on-line tracking is saying. :clap:

It's like Chistmas all over again, but this time I get something that I wanted.

where did you get it from, the cost? that sound's like good service.

Toyjunkie

Toyjunkie

ArboristSite Operative
Well it's not being shipped to me here in Canada. I had it sent to my father in Arizona and it was coming from Tulsa. So I guess he will get first hands on with it. Not that it would be any good to me right now with it being -30*c and 3' of snow.

I couldn't justify buying it here in Canada with the dallor at par I was quoted $166 more here for it(then tax on top of that, gst-pst). So after the all the dust has settled the difference is $226.00 saved.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
.... I understand that the NE346 has more torque, but it would have to be a LOT more torque than the old 346 had.

It does, and is na bit lighter also - it is the obvious alternative to the 5100S.

The 359 may have more torque, but is also a lot heavier.

The 280 is also heavier, and may well loose on both power and torque, to the NE346. It is also a lesser quality saw, due to its design.

Just forget the 353, it is way behind the 346 on both power and torque.

The MS361 will beat the 5100 with a wide margin, but is a larger and more expensive saw.
It is my personal favourite, though.

Last edited:
Festus Haggen

Festus Haggen

ArboristSite Operative
What, does he sell saws from his van or something? My dealer is literally in the middle of nowhere, 3 or 4 miles out a dirt road in the woods. He can get parts and saws in 2 days, so a week or more ain't believable. And yes, a dealer should have saws in stock, like more than one! Yes, the 5100 is the big seller, but there isn't a shortage, that was one of my specific questions to my dealer a couple weeks ago. If my dealer jacked me around like that, I'd already have the Husky or Stihl. For the same money, it's tough to match performance in the Stihl lineup. I believe the closest in price (DSRP) to the 5100 is the 310, which isn't much of a comparison.

I have a 346XP, the "old edition", and love it. But if I wanted to buy one and the dealer grab-arsed around for a week, somebody else would get my business in a heartbeat.

Ok, now go get that MS361! :monkey:

Last edited:
Darl Bundren

Darl Bundren

ArboristSite Lurker
What, does he sell saws from his van or something? My dealer is literally in the middle of nowhere, 3 or 4 miles out a dirt road in the woods. He can get parts and saws in 2 days, so a week or more ain't believable. And yes, a dealer should have saws in stock, like more than one! Yes, the 5100 is the big seller, but there isn't a shortage, that was one of my specific questions to my dealer a couple weeks ago. If my dealer jacked me around like that, I'd already have the Husky or Stihl. For the same money, it's tough to match performance in the Stihl lineup. I believe the closest in price (DSRP) to the 5100 is the 310, which isn't much of a comparison.

I have a 346XP, the "old edition", and love it. But if I wanted to buy one and the dealer grab-arsed around for a week, somebody else would get my business in a heartbeat.

Ok, now go get that MS361! :monkey:

The 361 is too expensive (and probably too much saw for what I need). The shop is a small one a couple of miles away from where I work. I wonder if the quick turnaround on ordering and receiving is due to geographical location.

I'm getting antsy, though, and I hope it's here tomorrow.

Latest posts