If ya didnt start yet, get with it........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngzcaz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The saps running here in NE Pa. which means if you want to burn wood this year, get them before the saps all up in the trees. The weather here yesterday was cold as S&*% with 20 to 35 mph winds. Don't think so... Today supposed to be 30 with less wind. Sounds like a good day to drop a couple and let them lay until spring. And I still haven't seen a definitive ( or even a good guess ) as to how much less moisture and consequently less drying time it is doing it now rather then waiting until the leaves are out.

Of course you guys in the upper P of MI would have been out yesterday. : - )

:)

Don't have to worry about what the saps doing. Still have the next two winters wood in my yard either cut to length or split and under cover. Anything cut now is for the 2011-2012 winter, if not the winter after that.

Been noticing the ends were starting to show sap lately too. I think we are going to be good for another year. Been cutting all winter, some dead stuff to sell , some green stuff to season out, some Hedge for posts to sell and then Cedars. What wasn't straight enough for posts made firewood. I ended up with a lot of firewood.

Now if I could just find a use for 12" to 16"+ Cedars before we set a match to them.

Last edited:
get them dropped and cut to length as soo nas possible it will atleast start the drying process and whe nthe weather is more favorable snag them up and split them this spring

Still working on those 1,800+ tops left from the harvest 2 years ago. The good stuff is still solid and should last another year or two before it gets too punky. Haven't ever had to cut anything alive but I may in a few years if timber prices don't pick up. Not worth selling anything now, but it will certainly be ready down the road.

Been noticing the ends were starting to show sap lately too. I think we are going to be good for another year. Been cutting all winter, some dead stuff to sell , some green stuff to season out, some Hedge for posts to sell and then Cedars. What wasn't straight enough for posts made firewood. I ended up with a lot of firewood.

Now if I could just find a use for 12" to 16"+ Cedars before we set a match to them.

use them for poles or outdoor furniture. I lost a couple in the ice storm and then will end up as benches I believe.

Don't have to worry about what the saps doing. Still have the next two winters wood in my yard either cut to length or split and under cover. Anything cut now is for the 2011-2012 winter, if not the winter after that.
:censored: for what i'm thinking but damn good job, wish we could just get one winter stored up but with only me doing all of it now, that's rough :(

Still working on those 1,800+ tops left from the harvest 2 years ago. The good stuff is still solid and should last another year or two before it gets too punky. Haven't ever had to cut anything alive but I may in a few years if timber prices don't pick up. Not worth selling anything now, but it will certainly be ready down the road.
if you start getting worried about those tops rotting away let me know i can help ya clean um up :D

Last edited:
Hi ngzcaz.

Where you at in NEPA. I'm a 1/2 hr. north of Scranton.

The first metal I ever hit in a tree was a tap inside a sugar maple. I still have that piece of wood with the tap still in it.
Conversation piece.:)

Kevin

Latest posts

Back