If you don't know how to use a saw don't embarrass youtself on Youtube.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how many here have done similar stuff, it just wasn't recorded... If you do it enough (even correctly) sooner or later the turds are gonna unexpectedly hit the fan.
Well, early on I was felling leaners without proper technique to avoid a chair, and once had the 20' top of a pine snag fly back at me after hitting a tree half way down (tapped my left arm and knee and snapped the chain brake handle), but that's about it. Plus numerous small errors (that could have been worse) that I noted and corrected. Seems to me that, ongoing, a lot depends on who you work for. When I worked for a logger briefly, the guy had great technique and judgement, and it was a good experience. Working for this guy, who has his homegrown methods, has its risks:
BucketLadder.jpg OakChair.jpg
Here, he's cutting from the backside on top of the ladder (no face cut), having put the tree in tension with the line to a backhoe (bottom left). Numerous other examples of hung and/or chaired trees. Can't work for him anymore.

I have never known anyone to be able to do barber chairs 100% of the time. Wow this guy's should play the lottery.

At least half the splitting is done for him already. You have to be tough if you're going to be stupid.

It's like playing billiards or pool or snooker (or whatever it's called where you live)
You play bad till your third beer, then it all goes great till you hit the 10th, and it's downhill from there

Tree felling is the same!

Back