Illegal BAR ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just took the 026 with the bow bar to get a chain made up at my Stihl dealer.Was told it was an illegal bar and he couldn't touch it.Liability .:censored: So I said ok I need a sprocket small spline for .375 and about 90DL of .375 chain.He said no .375 chain available just .325 , 3/8 and .404!I explained to him that .375 is 3/8.And I needed presets and tie links for it,nope can't sell chain parts only made up chain.And he didn't make up chain.At that point I gave up!Hard to buy local when they're that lawyerphobic.He even took my name and phone number ,I've bought from him before, even saws,so I really didn't care!Whats he going to do , call the chainsaw police?So after I'm through ranting ordering from Baileys,it'll be cheaper anyway!Don't reckon it would be a federal offense being across state lines and all?Unbelievable!!:chainsaw:

:monkey: :ices_rofl: :monkey: :ices_rofl:

Dip$hit manager of the box farm store I work in said we could not sell an Oregon chain to a customer because the model "XYZ" saw that the customer had was not listed on the package. This is after I counted the drive links and measured the pitch and gauge to verify the new chain was an exact match to the worn out chain that the customer brought in.

Policy.

All these idiot manager types know is the crock of $hit that the corporate offices pass down.

This and the abundance of trial hungry lawyers will be the downfall of commerce in this country!

<whew>

I'm better now!

I explained to my now closed hardware/farm supply store that was my "Husky" dealer for a while, about chain size and guage, and about safety chain. Also how to read the label on the chains to tell what size it was and how many links. I taught those kids about everything they knew about saws. That was after the one insisted that my 3120 was a 137 (didn't have it with me, didn't figure I had to prove it to him to get parts) and didn't want to order the air filter for it because I was "wrong".

Mark

Whereabouts in Indiana are you?

From Richmond myself. We have a decent number of Hoosiers in here...:cheers: :cheers:

I'm in a little town called Guilford,close to the gambling boats and the ski slopes.
Russ

Well this has been me laugh for the morning, do chainsaw police and dream police drink in the same bars? dunno. Yesterday my mom gave kid and me a few x-mas presents to take back home for under the tree and tells me that if the power goes out there is one we can open early with a wind-up radio and wind-up LED flashlight in it, cool says me, BUT she says, 'There is a warning lable on them that says "May cause cancer." !!! No ****, like this is covering yer butt overkill or what?! :dizzy: 'May cause blindness.' I could understand sheesh, could be somethin' lost in translation? dunno again...................:censored:

:cheers:

Serge

HAHA.....

I had the parts guy at the marine store tell me the water pump i bought wouldnt work cuzz the boat motor spins the other way......(im usin a automotive one,only difference is i had to cap off the heater hose inlet.$110.00 vs $23.50)

Moron.

:givebeer:

The motor doesn't go backwards but if your boat has v belts and the pump you bought was meant for serpentine belt then the pump will be going backwards.

We don't have a lot of saw shops around me, and the small engine/lawnmower shop I went into yesterday to get a piece of rope for a recoil starter pulled out a piece of tiny rope, and I asked him if he had anything bigger. He asked me saw make and model, to which kind of confused this 20 year old. Asked again and he pulled out some larger, told him I would take 10 feet and he said "how big is that saw"??
Then I asked if they carried 404 chain, and he wanted to know what size bar...and when I said bow, he immediately said they are illegal and they don't work on them!! I asked "illegal to own, or illegal for you to work on or illegal to sale"??
At that point, he called his dad, who told him that they didn't have 404 chain anyway, so what was the problem"?
I would still like to know where everyone gets this stuff!!
David from jax

We don't have a lot of saw shops around me, and the small engine/lawnmower shop I went into yesterday to get a piece of rope for a recoil starter pulled out a piece of tiny rope, and I asked him if he had anything bigger. He asked me saw make and model, to which kind of confused this 20 year old. Asked again and he pulled out some larger, told him I would take 10 feet and he said "how big is that saw"??
Then I asked if they carried 404 chain, and he wanted to know what size bar...and when I said bow, he immediately said they are illegal and they don't work on them!! I asked "illegal to own, or illegal for you to work on or illegal to sale"??
At that point, he called his dad, who told him that they didn't have 404 chain anyway, so what was the problem"?
I would still like to know where everyone gets this stuff!!
David from jax
The big brand dealers can’t work on bows do to liability and their policy from what I understand this has been in place since the anti kickback laws came around.

I see an old thread has been brought back from the dead...That is a good thing as the issues are still very relevant. I see several had talked about needing chain for a bow bar and others saying don't tell the shop what it is for. That is fine but a lot of times folks will pick up a used bow somewhere and they do not really know how many drivers to tell the shop to spin. That is one reason no matter how junk or rocked out a chain is you should not toss it (unless you have a ton) Over the years I have ended up with hundreds of loops of used chain. If it has a bit of life left i will put it in a ziploc and label it. When trying to adapt some oddball bars or some of my whacked out ideas it is always good to have chains in virtually every driver count to test fit. As simple as it is to say just measure it, or measure twice cut once, I can easily admit to being off a driver on many occasions especially when you get into the larger pitch chain. Another option is to just keep about 20 ft around already broke into various short lengths and test fit it together. Obviously this is far from perfect as the used chain will be stretched and not fit like new chain but it will still help.

Had a local Stihl Tech (young kid,,,, the old man(dealer) is on the ball) tell me there are no gains to be had muf-modding an MS-361 :dizzy:

So I sez to da guy, I sez care to make a frendly wager on that? Told him I would race him new loop of chain on his shelf-stock 361 - new loop of chain on mine, i would keep the chain if I won,,,,, pay twice the price if I lose, and I would spot him a couple seconds on there 24" Doug-fir test log since my saw is broke-in. His comeback was that he didn't want to take my money, 'cause used saws don't run as hard as new saws' he sez. :dizzy:
Don't be mad at him, he's just in know-it-all training.

Latest posts

Back