I'm famous(sort of)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yesterday at the Santa Ana botanical gardens, after finishing up a large oak that fell over in the biggest rain storm we've had in the last ten years, A reporter came out and Interviewed me and took my picture. Its in our local paper today. He missed the whole crane removal and rigging that went on, so all that was left was me cutting up a few rounds.
He got the company name wrong, which didn't make the boss happy. I also left out the details of why I thought the tree fell. They had built a new entrance right next to the Oak. All the roots had been cut on that side,or so it appears.
My few minuets of fame.
Any one else ever get their pictures or a write-up in the paper or on the news?

Merry Christmas to you all. Beastmaster

I had a writeup in one of the country papers about 30 miles out of the city. It was a nice writeup about my service.

When I was doing storm work with a crane a few years back my customer came out and said the local news was on their way out to film us... You should have seen the crane operator and site manager scrambling for hard hats and looking everything over to make sure we were OSHA compliant... :D

The news crew never showed.

Just last week a local paper had an article about trees v power lines, but wait whats that I see the picture used was mine. No name no royalties wus I just robbed. And of course the guts of the dispute is dumbed down so as to meaning less.

More often media articles I write are cut n edited so poorly by the air head PR spinners they end up useless. Now I for fun when they ask me for stats or info I tell em crap see if it gets printed. Yes sir that tree is "lie" and its that old "untruth" and "fib" that high..

Last edited:
Its funny, the first thing the boss said when I told him the newspaper shot photos was "did you have your hard hat on". Just bought a new rockman, and was wearing it proudly.

Local news has a story that they are going to do called "Uncertified Arborist" about when the spring storms hit, the hacks come out in force. I asked them to change the name, as it does not actually apply, as there are guys who do good work, but haven't taken the test. They wont. They want me to explain the difference, PRO vs. Hack, NO PROBLEM! So I might get a little local fame myself, probably get a pic of me picking my nose.

I got a pic once, front page actually. It was After work in upstate NY while setting a deer stand. I'm walking out of the woods during rifle season for whitetail and I see this white patch bobbing through the thicket. Gun loaded and up I see it is an older man with white hair wearing a tan vest and brown slacks. He says to me "Mind if I ask you a few questions?". I reply with only if I can ask you one. With that I ask if he is looking to die and his eyes pop out of his head. I continue with the fact that it is indeed deer season and he looks like a target from a distance. Now he tells me he knows and is doing a story about opening day in the southern zone. I told him that is great but you still look like a target. He saw the risk and put me on the front page the next day.Either way it was front page even though I was in camo.

I do a lot of BBQ stuff. I've been in the Kansas City Star, Oslo, Norway paper, CBS Sunday Morning, a few BBQ shows, and a few local papers. I shoot pictures for a couple of BBQ publications. It is a big deal at the time, but it goes away very quickly.

Been in different newspapers over a dozen times, been on the news and once a radio interview a half a dozen times. Great free advertisement.

was gettin coffee for the crew one day and the local home handy tips guy was in line beside me, i was friendly and all he noticed my attire and we started to chat. he asked me if i wood do a segment! i agreed. So later that summer he called and asked me to do it, i bought a nifty tilley endurables hat for the filming. I was asked to explain there black spots all over the norway maples, well...i explained it the best i could, told the camera what people could do to control it and so on. then i went home and was a local celebrity since.:D

Front page of the 4 Jul 89 issue of whatever the paper is in Butte, Montana (Montana Standard ?)
stepping off the ramp of a CC-115 Buffalo 12,500 feet over the biggest open pit mine I ever have seen, praying that the spot was dead on.It was and we landed in a mall parking lot after a final over I-25.

I had my own radio show once...for three whole programs. It all came to an end when the radio hostess got fired. Hopefully, I wasn't the cause. :hmm3grin2orange:

I got a call one day from this lady wanting to know if we had a lawn expert that was willing to appear on her program. I talked to her a while; apparently sounding articulate enough to fill the bill, and a few days later, I was on the air. Too bad it didn't last, 'cause it was lots of fun.

I got interviewed for a TV news spot once, but it never aired. The ignorant reporter kept trying to get me to say things that weren't quite accurate, and she wouldn't tell me what the real story was supposed to be about. It wasn't tree stuff anyway; it was about weeds in lawns.

I was on the news in Tulsa and in Oklahoma city, as well as newspapers all over the state for helping to pull a guy out of a burning car. 6 died in that accident. The driver was dead in the car we were trying to get the man in the passenger side out of. The woman we pulled out of the back seat died right before my eyes. 4 young adults who were returning from working as councilors at a church camp were burnt alive in the other car that was hit head on. A woman who was also involved and who's car burnt up survived.

Me and 6 other large men were trying to pry the passenger side door open where the man was trapped in the burning car. I tried to pull him out over the back seat but he was pinned by the dash which had been pushed back on him. I finally got my bull rope out, tied it to the door frame and snatched the door open enough to get the guy out with my truck. 8 people involved, only two survived. I will never forget the smell of burning flesh as long as I live.

I was on the news in Tulsa and in Oklahoma city, as well as newspapers all over the state for helping to pull a guy out of a burning car. 6 died in that accident. The driver was dead in the car we were trying to get the man in the passenger side out of. The woman we pulled out of the back seat died right before my eyes. 4 young adults who were returning from working as councilors at a church camp were burnt alive in the other car that was hit head on. A woman who was also involved and who's car burnt up survived.

Me and 6 other large men were trying to pry the passenger side door open where the man was trapped in the burning car. I tried to pull him out over the back seat but he was pinned by the dash which had been pushed back on him. I finally got my bull rope out, tied it to the door frame and snatched the door open enough to get the guy out with my truck. 8 people involved, only two survived. I will never forget the smell of burning flesh as long as I live.

You were a hero Larry.

I'll tell you what is weird is I pulled a baby out of a baby seat in a car that had rolled about a mile down the same highway two years previous from the other accident. Her mother was thrown from the car and broke her neck. Others were giving her assistance on the side of the road. When me and my brother pulled up I could hear the baby crying in the car. I was scared to death of what I might find when I looked in that car but the baby was in the baby seat crying without a scratch on her. We showed the mother her baby and she was instantly at ease. I don't know how she made out after that.

The stretch of highway that comes through where I live is the deadliest stretch of highway in OK.

Yesterday at the Santa Ana botanical gardens, after finishing up a large oak that fell over in the biggest rain storm we've had in the last ten years, A reporter came out and Interviewed me and took my picture. Its in our local paper today. He missed the whole crane removal and rigging that went on, so all that was left was me cutting up a few rounds.
He got the company name wrong, which didn't make the boss happy. I also left out the details of why I thought the tree fell. They had built a new entrance right next to the Oak. All the roots had been cut on that side,or so it appears.
My few minuets of fame.
Any one else ever get their pictures or a write-up in the paper or on the news?

Merry Christmas to you all. Beastmaster

Congratulations I have been in papers a few times over the years and on tv a few times in tornado's and ice storms. I also have trimmed and cut trees for several famous individuals!

When we were first married, my wife was the new editor for the local small town paper. I had my picture in it a couple of times (usually as filler) and was the subject of a couple editorial columns.

Had a picture in the local paper while doing Xmas tree chipping with the local Scouts.

Latest posts

Back