I'm gonna become A mountain hermit!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crops and Ponds..

ropensadle: My dad was thinkin the same thing on the catfish except he want to raise them for his own food. they can be purchased very cheap for fingerlings and they grow quick. I was selling Koi fish and was left with about 500lbs of pond food but if you had enough room you can grow corn, grind it up and then feed them with that.
Major cash crops vary from region to region so you would have to visit your local Co-Op to find out whats selling good now days.
Something like corn will take ALOT of acreage to turn any profit but you might also think about greenhouse items like tomatoes and cucumbers that are hard to come by in the fall/winter.
My misery is diminishing not that I have had all this reading to do, I second the notion of starting A homesteading thread, I think everyone got my point on the economy and I feel lots better, I'm ready to go out and make it happen!
Thanks for sharing!

ropensadle: My dad was thinkin the same thing on the catfish except he want to raise them for his own food. they can be purchased very cheap for fingerlings and they grow quick. I was selling Koi fish and was left with about 500lbs of pond food but if you had enough room you can grow corn, grind it up and then feed them with that.
Major cash crops vary from region to region so you would have to visit your local Co-Op to find out whats selling good now days.
Something like corn will take ALOT of acreage to turn any profit but you might also think about greenhouse items like tomatoes and cucumbers that are hard to come by in the fall/winter.
My misery is diminishing not that I have had all this reading to do, I second the notion of starting A homesteading thread, I think everyone got my point on the economy and I feel lots better, I'm ready to go out and make it happen!
Thanks for sharing!

The cash crop on my farm is rocks, although they grow very well, have
not quite figured a good selling technique :laugh: I have quartz and many assorted rocks and shale topsoil is very very limited.

well we were born and raised in las vegas my wife and i were in our mid thirtys three kids both self employed hit the real estate market just right sold out everything had a freind living in middle tn. we bought 18 acres for 33.000 so thick with hardwoods and brush you couldnt walk the property! i started clearing land myself with machete,chainsaw,and dr brush mower to start building a house the five of us lived intravel trailer quite intresting:) i had checked out mentally of the rat race years earlier but wife had not so instead of building sensiable size house we build 40x80 pole house six feet off ground (did not want to crawl on ground to run everything ) plus it has 13 foot tall vaulted ceilings throughout. i have built this monster by myself with exception of the trusses and roof this is our third winter in it the first winter we about froze to death! the second winter it was cold but better i bought a us stove the biggest one they make its designed to go in a basement as a piggyback but set it up outside with a 16 inch duct running into the livingroom still bout froze to death due to lack of insulation and ducting. well this year will be great was able to brainbleed a heating and cooling guy was able to get rough idea on how install the duct system it is working good my wife actually opened a window the first night we used it. got all my insulation blown in we should be nice and snug this winter. cut wood last winter got about 20 cords cut and split ready to go this year.

what i have learned from this experince!!!
most places where land is cheap theres a reason! the econmy is horrible here even in good times .

when you not working money goes fast.

not all locals will except you no matter how nice you are we got lucky we fit in and opened a pizza shop most have been real nice but your always the new people

dont try to change how the locals think no matter how backwards you think they are :)

and while it might seem cool that the nearest wal mart etc is 35 miles its a pain in the arse!

if you have kids they get bored no matter how great the great outdoors is.

i could go on and on but i would not trade it for anything its the hardest i have ever worked . sometimes its depressing knowing all that you have in front of you but i look at it like eating an elephnt just take one bite at a time

cant seem to get pictures to load they either fail or are to big help!

Whiting, you are living my dream. I'm goin to wait for the next civil war, then I'm goin south to fight with the rebels.

Whiting, you are living my dream. I'm goin to wait for the next civil war, then I'm goin south to fight with the rebels.

The diferance between a yankee and a dam yankee is one
visits then leaves the other stays:laugh: I would try to say
go for it we ain't all bad but I would not suggest fighting us
as we are well oiled battle worthy sob's :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back