I'm looking for a competent builder, and for your thoughts!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenSVT

Where did all these saws come from?!?
Reaction score
Help me spend some bonus money!

You've probably seen my recent threads. The Clif notes, in case you haven't:

I'm newer to chainsaw ownership. I've snagged a lot of great bargains on Stihl saws. The highlights: 026, 361, 046.

The 046 needs the cylinder cleaned up and a new piston, then a good overall cleaning. The 026 still has an issue idling well. Probably the dreaded flywheel side crank seal or the carburetor, since I've replaced all the rubber parts on it. I'll be installing the carburetor kit this week and going from there. The 361 runs like a dream so far.

Soooo that brings me to the present. I'm looking for a reputable, fair saw builder to take on one of these three fine saws. I'd like some port work done to bring out some of the hidden potential.

Knowing what you fellows know, who's the guy for the job, and which saw should go under the knife?

I'd port the 046,it will gain the most from a woods port.
A 361 can be strong but it needs a bigger carb and boot to do it and that takes some work.
Port the biggest one because it will run a longer bar plus any bar you will run on the 361 or 026.

I'm leaning toward the 046 personally, but there are issues. As shown in one of my other threads, I purchased it as a parts saw and there were previous issues. The cylinder needs cleaned up, and then the issue that led to the burnt cylinder needs diagnosed (and fixed). It will no doubt need parts, aside from the missing recoil start assembly.

Is there a builder who can/will oversee such a build reasonably? If not, I pass on the 046 for a bit till I can do a lot of leg work to get it ready.

That would probably put the 026 up as the prime recipient of a port job.

I'm leaning toward the 046 personally, but there are issues. As shown in one of my other threads, I purchased it as a parts saw and there were previous issues. The cylinder needs cleaned up, and then the issue that led to the burnt cylinder needs diagnosed (and fixed). It will no doubt need parts, aside from the missing recoil start assembly.

Is there a builder who can/will oversee such a build reasonably? If not, I pass on the 046 for a bit till I can do a lot of leg work to get it ready.

That would probably put the 026 up as the prime recipient of a port job.
I have a starter if you still need one

I know of 2 builders right here in Ohio that could do what you want and you might be close enough to one of them to take your saw to them instead of shipping it all over.

If you get a chance, send a message my way. I'm weighing my options right now. Thanks.

I appreciate all the responses I've received so far, both in the thread and via PM.

I've gotten a few quotes as well. If the 046 goes well, I'll be saving up funds in the toy budget for the 026 to be worked on as well.

You guys are the best!

The 460 ported is pretty darn close to stock 660 power, I've even go as far to say faster with a short to medium bar.

Latest posts

Back