ms361 teardown - "while I'm in there"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrobie79

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first post. Been reading a bunch and just picked up a new to me ms361, it is absolutely filthy, so far I've probably picked off, wiped, scraped about a full pound of crap. So i started stripping it to clean it. See below:

41782041571_0c96b9e5ed_z.jpg

27913828658_0526194c3c_z.jpg

Before I started tearing it apart I took a compression reading, and got just under 120psi. Is this acceptable? Haven't run the saw at all so I never took a warm reading:

27913825448_efbec6e974_z.jpg

The Piston looks ok from the exhaust and intake side (I'll get some pictures of that later).

My question is, what should I change while I'm in the process of putting everything back together since it'll be most stripped down? When I work on my car if I have to take a bunch of parts off I might as well swap in new smaller parts (hoses, plastic bits, etc...). I was thinking maybe some seals, rubber bushings, hoses, etc.

I've been using the factory service manual and this forum to take it apart and look forward to my new addiction and bring more active on this forum.

p.s. does anyone offer powder coating services? I'd like to get all the Stihl grey pieces refinished as I'm going to tackle the orange plastic restoration myself.

Fuel and impulse line. Piston rings. Possibly piston if the skirt wear is excessive. Crank seals. Check the crank bearings for play.

Fuel and impulse line. Piston rings. Possibly piston if the skirt wear is excessive. Crank seals. Check the crank bearings for play.
Yep.
Check intake boot and oil worm gear as well. Been into a few of these 1135s, worst one had bad bearings and a cracked flywheel (extremely unlikely). Others had typical fuel line/filter and carb issues.

Make sure your tester has a Schrader valve at the end. Traditional auto testers will show a low reading on saws.

on the end that gets inserted into the cylinder correct? If so, yes my tester does have it, it is an automotive one though.

so I never got the compression over the 120 from my first picture.

I stripped it a little more, took the cylinder off and snapped a few photos (is this piston cooked?) I will snap a few photos later on tonight of the inside of the cylinder.

I also noticed there is side to side play in the rod at the crankshaft (shown in photos below), is this normal?

Took a few other photos of the clutch side, lot of worn out powdercoating, so I'm gonna split the case and get it done by Glock37

@cuinrearview
@drf255
@BuckthornBonnie

27089783297_8a34bfc900_z.jpg
xxxxxx
40152008450_7db05710a8_z.jpg

x
27089783617_7ab915d64f_z.jpg
xxxxxx
40152009550_1905841f58_z.jpg

Assuming the piston is cooked, should I get a genuine Stihl, good used OEM one, or any recommended aftermarket brands (I've seen people suggest meteor?)

Should I use upgraded (ceramic) bearings? Also, in the IPL it lists two size cylinder gaskets, what's the deal behind one or the other?

The base gaskets are of 2 different thickness. .5 mm and 1mm. It will depend on your squish measurement on the piston/cylinder. Many remove the base gasket and use sealant to bump compression up a bit.

If the cylinder looks fine, I'd just put new rings and run it. Polish the piston a bit if need be.

If it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

The side play is normal, like Clint said.

As long as you plan on keeping the saw, I’d reuse that piston with some cleaning and new rings. The sides of it look great and that looks like carbon scoring to me.

You’re gonna have to clean the jug up good. They definitely like a compression boost, so you can try custom gaskets to get to .017 squish. Use good oil that won’t ash a lot, like Motul800 or Belray H1R.

Latest posts

Back