Im not one to rip on someone...... but.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"It's all a matter of perspective."

Well, looking through this computer: slow as hell, potentially dangerous, and what was the other thing... oh yeah, slow as hell.

Point is, still needed a saw to cut down the tree. (unless he chewed on it like a beaver which wouldn't really shock me at this point) Just keep using the same saw to cut the rounds, would be much faster. I don't see one benefit in this thing, other than: "Mine is bigger than yours." :bang:

My uncle has a blade about that size on the front of his Massey Harris. It's run off the pto belt. It has no blade gaurd. I've run it with him one time, and I'll never do it again. I've never been so scared of a saw in my life, and I use saws every day at work....

How long has your uncle ran this rig?

How long has your uncle ran this rig?

As long as my dad can remember. The Massey was his dad's (my great grandfather). My uncle restored it in the early 90's. I hope the pics turn out. They're from a cell phone. He lives in Gibbon, BTW.

attachment.php

attachment.php

grgbandkng, It's called a buzz saw and years ago almost everyone around here had one, anyone that was serious about wood cutting anyway. I've ran several different ones and in fact bought and resold one last year. The Amish shop not too far from here builds new ones that are mounted and powered by skid steers. They will cut alot faster than a man and a saw, on branches and small wood anyway. And they are just as safe as a chainsaw. What do you think the first viewers(then axe choppers or handsaw) of the first chainsaw thought? Bet they thought it was dangerous too. I've been loooking for a decent pto driven buzz saw and would love to find one like your uncle's rig for a good price.

I ran one like that...

..for years. Cut a zillion fence posts with it, and pointed them freehand. You "point" one end, flip it around, point the other, then slap it on the table and cut it in half. You know have two fence posts.....

Yep, dangerous as snot....very very fast once you get used to it. also used that saw for firewood of the smallish diameter but long log or branch size. Drag in a huge stack of smaller trees, run them up on the table, swing/cut, slide down, do it again.

You know.....we can say a lot about what's wrong here. Any of you take a look at some of the older machines that required the operators skill? Without those machines we wouldn't have what we have today. The start of most of the older machines were built like these guys. Here’s what I see. There’s a log rack with logs waiting. He has a powered log advance. He has a powered clamp to keep the log in position. Who knows how long he’s been working on this. Maybe a splitter is his next build.

Did any of you notice the guard he has to keep things away from the blade? I think that from the camera angle he looks a lot closer. I had to take another look.

Yes the thing is burning a lot more fuel than a saw would. Yes it's slower than a sharp saw. The guy will probably figure that out and build something else with the iron. Any one know what this thing was in it’s former life? He probably had most/all of the materials for this machine laying around the farm

The guy had an idea and went for it.

I'd like to see some of machines the responders to this thread have built. What type of work did they do? If they’re already on YouTube, post a link.

I’m not trying to start a fight. It’s just easy to bash someone from a keyboard.

While I will agree with your premise, the "technology" the guy uses is FAR outdated.

He underpowered the saw.
It is painfully slow.
The log advance doesn't even have a reverse.

IMO, what the guy did, was akin to building a bow from a stick and baler twine, only alot more dangerous.

"It's all a matter of perspective."

Well, looking through this computer: slow as hell, potentially dangerous, and what was the other thing... oh yeah, slow as hell.

Point is, still needed a saw to cut down the tree. (unless he chewed on it like a beaver which wouldn't really shock me at this point) Just keep using the same saw to cut the rounds, would be much faster. I don't see one benefit in this thing, other than: "Mine is bigger than yours." :bang:
maybe he is planning on buying cull logs from somewhere that would eliminate the need for a chainsaw

grgbandkng, It's called a buzz saw and years ago almost everyone around here had one, anyone that was serious about wood cutting anyway. I've ran several different ones and in fact bought and resold one last year. The Amish shop not too far from here builds new ones that are mounted and powered by skid steers. They will cut alot faster than a man and a saw, on branches and small wood anyway. And they are just as safe as a chainsaw. What do you think the first viewers(then axe choppers or handsaw) of the first chainsaw thought? Bet they thought it was dangerous too. I've been loooking for a decent pto driven buzz saw and would love to find one like your uncle's rig for a good price.

I know there is danger in using a chainsaw (the reason that i wear chaps). I don't doubt that a saw such as this can be used safely. My uncle was more that comfortable using it and he is 83. I was just amazed at this thing in a world where I can't buy a mitre box without all kinds of gaurds and safety features. Truely a very cool ald technology that I'm glad to say I got to use during my lifetime...

Back