I'm Tired

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
Reaction score
Slept in until 6:30.

Took the tarp off the pile of splits to let them air out.

Finished my axe handle, split the quarters in the cart.

Emptied the manure spreader, brought the wheel Horse down and hooked it up to the wood cart.

Took out the torch and burned off the dried Japanese stiltgrass that had grown up all over the white oak in my field. The field is practically mud right now, but the weed was dry. It worked perfectly - there's a lot more wood left up there than I thought. But it's too muddy to get a cart up there now.

Used the 142 to cut up a bunch of the oak branches I couldn't see before and made a nice pile of smalls.

Cut up a bunch of small storm dropped trees that were in the way around the edge of the lower field.

Went over to a spot where I have a bunch of large ash chunks split in half, and finished splitting a bunch of them. Was using the 142 to noodle a couple of twisted crotch parts (I've never done that before!), and noticed the 142 chain was spinning at startup.

Heard my daughter yelling about something, ran down to the house to find the dishwasher had flooded the kitchen floor. Fill valve was stuck open. Shut off the water and shop vac'd the floor.

Went out worked on the 142 - clutch spring broke. Took one off the Wild Thing that's out of action at the moment, fixed that.

Put up a ladder and climbed up to check the chimney top. There's a tree in the way and I have to put it up a bit steeper than I'm comfortable with - I HATE climbing it that way, feeling like if you lean back too far it might come off the house. About 24' up. Not too bad up there.

Moved the big stove in the basement and leaned the flue, shop vac'd out the top of the stove. Moved it all back and put it back together.

Took the dishwasher apart and fixed the fill valve - well, I didn't really "fix" it because didn't really find anything wrong with it, so it will probably do it again. But it works now.

Wife went out so I fed the dogs and my son and me.

Fired up the little stove again.

Do other people live like this? I heard a story once that some folks spend their time watching other people play games with balls and drinking beer. Wonder what that's like?

Hello,

I feel the same way !!!! Now I live on 18.5 acres and I don't have any close neighbors, but I used to live in a community where I could see my neighbors. I would always be outside doing something....cutting up firewood, stacking, building firewood racks, raking the yard, mowing the grass, painting the house or just repairing something on the house.....always working. I hardly ever saw any of my neighbors doing......anything !!!!! I could never get over why I was always working and noboby else was !!!!!! It's funny, I still keep in touch with one of my old neighbors (he actually did do some work) after I moved and he tells me that he hardly ever sees the people that bought my old house. They must stay in their house like everyone else !!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Busting Ass.....

I feel the exact same way! If I am not working at work, I'm working at home around the house. Days usually start at 5am and go until dark during the week. On the weekends I get to sleep in until 6am or so, thats my treat to myself. My wife is the same way as I, she's always asking me why all these other people have time to go shopping and sitting watching football or some other useless activity like that. I tell her: "Don't mind them, just keep working". Gotta love a woman like that!!

My dear old grandfather used to tell me: "Boy, the more you own, the more it own's you". He was a wise old man!!! I will never forget that, because it is so darn true!!

Well, I'm wasting time here on the computer, I'm sure there's some work for me to do somewhere......

Craig

Well, I'm wasting time here on the computer, I'm sure there's some work for me to do somewhere......
LOL - I'm played out now. The stove is crankin' and I'm gonna get a shower and hit the hay. Tomorrow's a stacking day - not my favorite chore. I'll have to take a break now and then to run a saw or swing the axe.

My dear old grandfather used to tell me: "Boy, the more you own, the more it own's you". He was a wise old man!!! I will never forget that, because it is so darn true!!

Even stuff that you are saving for retirement to rebuild.. It weighs on your mind.. In the winter its not as bad cause its just a pile of snow :hmm3grin2orange: ... I have two jeeps and a car to restore IF err when i get to retire...

Yes, your possessions possess you. I got rid of my project Jeeps a couple of years ago and I don't regret it at all. I don't expect to ever be able to "retire" (a recent concept only made possible by the energy of fossil fuels), and I view anything that uses petroleum as a temporary thing - useful for now, but if it doesn't do something I really need then it's a burden I cannot afford. I can barely keep what's left working.

Most people my age are too busy going out drinking and partying. I'm 23 years old. Bought a house this year, got married 2 months ago, my wife and I both go to college. She goes full time and graduates in March. She can't work much because Dental Hygiene school is very difficult. I fully support that. I go to school 2 days a week to become an Electrician and work 3rd shift as a maintenance man. Trust me, I wouldn't be going if my employer didn't pay for it all. I've already went to college once.

Since February, it feels like I've aged a good 20 years or better. I've remodeled, re-roofed, rebuilt this, restored that, rebroke this, refixed it again, re-floored that, and on and on. It never ever seems to end.

I started burning this year. I look back on the previous years that I've spent 80% of my time in the woods hunting everything that walks, and wonder how I will ever be able to do it again with all this work. Once winter breaks, I plan on getting all my cutting/splitting/stacking done before the heat of summer gets here.

Oh, and did I mention I've been flat broke for about 10 months? :hmm3grin2orange:

Most people my age are too busy going out drinking and partying. I'm 23 years old. Bought a house this year, got married 2 months ago, my wife and I both go to college. She goes full time and graduates in March. She can't work much because Dental Hygiene school is very difficult. I fully support that. I go to school 2 days a week to become an Electrician and work 3rd shift as a maintenance man. Trust me, I wouldn't be going if my employer didn't pay for it all. I've already went to college once.

Since February, it feels like I've aged a good 20 years or better. I've remodeled, re-roofed, rebuilt this, restored that, rebroke this, refixed it again, re-floored that, and on and on. It never ever seems to end.

I started burning this year. I look back on the previous years that I've spent 80% of my time in the woods hunting everything that walks, and wonder how I will ever be able to do it again with all this work. Once winter breaks, I plan on getting all my cutting/splitting/stacking done before the heat of summer gets here.

Oh, and did I mention I've been flat broke for about 10 months? :hmm3grin2orange:
:hmm3grin2orange: just another 60 years and you and the misses can retire.. :hmm3grin2orange: hang in there bud.. it's not as rough as it seems at the beginning.. :biggrin:

And......wait until the kids come.......any time you have now will be spent on them!!!

I feel the exact same way! If I am not working at work, I'm working at home around the house. Days usually start at 5am and go until dark during the week. On the weekends I get to sleep in until 6am or so, thats my treat to myself. My wife is the same way as I, she's always asking me why all these other people have time to go shopping and sitting watching football or some other useless activity like that. I tell her: "Don't mind them, just keep working". Gotta love a woman like that!!

Craig

My brother from another mother! Sounds exactly like my life, and my wife.
I can't remember the last time I went on vacation. 1997? 98?

I have to yet watch a football game this year. I often wonder where people get all their time to lay around.

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using Tapatalk

I have to yet watch a football game this year. I often wonder where people get all their time to lay around.
It's a mystery, isn't it? It's OK, I got used to living in another universe a long time ago. At work in those Monday morning discussions about what people did over the weekend, people ask me just for the sense of contrast, and everyone knows not to bother to ask if I saw such-and-such show or ball game.

It's a mystery, isn't it? It's OK, I got used to living in another universe a long time ago. At work in those Monday morning discussions about what people did over the weekend, people ask me just for the sense of contrast, and everyone knows not to bother to ask if I saw such-and-such show or ball game.

I like the look on some people's faces when they ask if I follow football or such and I tell them no. Most people just don't understand.

its a good thing for men to stay busy...

it always baffles me when you see these young well abled men sitting on the sofa watching football on a beautiful sunday afternoon popping anti depressents because all they do is sit their in boredum and think about how bad they got it instead of doing something.

If I run out of projects and everythings done Ill get in my truck, ride over to lowes, buy me a 100 dollars worth the lumber, or insulation or paint and start another one

I go crazy if i dont have something goin on to keep my mind occupied. Thats the way my dad and grandad were and thats the way im going to be

Last edited:
And......wait until the kids come.......any time you have now will be spent on them!!!

and in some cases when the kids get older you will spend time avoiding them... I know the old guy next door does that..

Back