Immaculate Pro Mac 700

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Kudos to AS member Stipes. For some crazy reason he felt it in his heart to package up and ship me this beautiful Pro Mac 700. What you see here is pretty much the condition I received it in. I did very little cleaning to it. This old saw hasn't seen a lot of use. It starts, idles, revs, and cuts like a new saw. It came with a GB sprocket tip bar. I'd love to find a McCullough bar for it. He also sent me a can of Stihl grey paint and two good chisel chains. Hit this man with some rep would ya!!!

Does anyone have the proper instructions on tuning this thing? I'd appreciate the info if you do.

472878374_mtikz-M.jpg
472878458_srfQb-M.jpg

472878369_he658-M.jpg
472878459_H4K69-M.jpg

472878519_kPxfH-M.jpg
472878521_XvxcU-M.jpg

472878567_UKV7s-M.jpg
472878583_Ty6sm-M.jpg

Very nice!

VERY NICE! :jawdrop:

Did he give you any history, where he got it?

:clap:
Dan

Is the bluing around the ends of the clutch shoes normal? It looks like the shoes aren't making full contact to the clutch rim.

472878567_UKV7s-M.jpg

Last edited:
Kudos to AS member Stipes. For some crazy reason he felt it in his heart to package up and ship me this beautiful Pro Mac 700. What you see here is pretty much the condition I received it in. I did very little cleaning to it. This old saw hasn't seen a lot of use. It starts, idles, revs, and cuts like a new saw. It came with a GB sprocket tip bar. I'd love to find a McCullough bar for it. He also sent me a can of Stihl grey paint and two good chisel chains. Hit this man with some rep would ya!!!

Does anyone have the proper instructions on tuning this thing? I'd appreciate the info if you do.

Cool saw Brad.

As far as tuning--as you probably already know, the old saws generally ain't too critical about their tune. Clean the points and regap, reset the coil air gap, and carb kit. Tune by ear. You may want to check and/or replace the exhaust/muffler gasket--I've seen even well preserved saws with the exhaust gasket pretty crispy......

I use a Dupont product called Kryton on gaskets. It's made for O-Rings under high heat. It definitely helps to soften up all the intake gaskets and I've used it on gaskets in other places of my old saws with no apparent ill effects.

I'm working on a Super Pro 70 right now--basically the same motor as the PM700...........I have a leak somewhere in the fuel tank......:cry:

Casey

I think I seen that saw before.....

I bought that saw last year and the gentleman that owned it before said it wasnt used alot..
The blue spots on the clutch was my dumb mistake...I wasnt used to havin a Mcc with a chainbrake and forgot to take it off,,didnt take but 3 seconds to realize though....Only way you would stall that saw out was to pinch the bar..As far as tune up,,and the electronic ignition,,just needs to be leaned up a tad,,I ran it rich,,too rich last time I ran it and smoked pretty good...
Karma been good to me lately...My girlfriend said the SuperPro 125 came in last night,,,so I'm pretty damn excited about that!!!!!
Got my Mcc 7-10 a the older generation of the Pro Mac 700,,so I thought Brad needed a 70cc Mcc for his collection..So glad he is happy with it.... :cheers:

Pre 1982 PM 700's had points, after that they came with electronic ignition.

They also have different model numbers for the conventional vs electronic versions, but the same series numbers........

Casey

It smoked like a steam engine when I first fired it up. I had to run the L needle WAY in. Smelled like castor oil. mmm:). It runs perfectly and is so clean that I'm not going to do anything to it other than look for a nice OEM bar.

The 600061 model I think is the early points version--regardless of serial prefix.

The 600116 model number I think is the electronic ignition.

Also, the older version usually had the black oiler button instead of the newer green button......usually.

Casey

Excellent. Thanks for the link. The 600 in the model number had me worried it wasn't a PM 700. I don't see anything in there that indicates if mine is points or electronic.

Scroll through the IPL--it's showing conventional points for that model number.

Personally, I would rather have a Mac built during that time--I think the quality control was good as ever for Mac production. Beyond 83-85 I think things dropped off some for Mac quality........

Casey

VERY NICE! :jawdrop:

Did he give you any history, where he got it?

:clap:
Dan

Is the bluing around the ends of the clutch shoes normal? It looks like the shoes aren't making full contact to the clutch rim.

472878567_UKV7s-M.jpg

I am familiar with clutches.....and not just an ordinary dummy.:) If the clutch shoes were making full contact the whole surface would be blue....not just the ends.

Latest posts

Back