Impressions of my Husky 562

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl Robbers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
As some may have already known, I purchased a Husqvarna 562XP from a US dealer. This was at great personal risk to myself as I was warned by my more local dealers of much worry, woe and wringing of hands if I did so:frown: Still, what's a bit of worry and woe when you save $600 including freight!
Anyway, the saw arrived 9 days after I placed the order, well packed and damage free.
First impression was that the saw felt so light, compact and lively. I duly assembled the bar and chain - a Husqvarna 3/8 .058 20" with Husqvarna 3/8 round chisel and was impressed with the balance. I also noted that this saw was shipped with the flocked air filter, rather than the nylon mesh type - BONUS!
The following day I purchased some fibre filter oil in an aerosol and gave the filter a good soaking, fueled and oiled the saw and prepared action. After priming the saw, I set the choke and pulled twice, the saw popped and I reset the controls for half throttle. One more pull and we were away. Most impressive for a saw that had never been fueled and run before.
I then sank the bar into a chunk of white gum that was probably 1/2 green and of sufficient size to bury the bar fully. Half way through the cut and the saw popped and then stopped. Many pulls later and it fired again, somewhat reluctantly. Another couple of cuts and it did it again!
OH NO! What have I done!!! :msp_ohmy:
All the negative thoughts rushed through my mind. Imported saw, no warranty, the reported starting and running issues are real!
Anyway after a couple of deep breaths and a few more pulls away we went. Since then the saw has not missed a beat and I can only surmise that the filter oil was still a bit wet, (I did give it a really thorough soaking), and was sucked into the saw which of course would have done wonders for the mixture control.
Now 5 tanks on, I am increasingly impressed by the torque of this saw. As many will know, cutting Australian hardwoods is not the province of a saw that is a mere screamer, rather it requires torque. Fuel consumption has improved - it was a thirsty little bugger at first. I will be very interested to run it along side my mates MS310 and compare fuel usage- two very different saws, but both in the 60cc range.
One thing I don't like is the absence of an outer dog, it is an option and I have one coming, but it should be standard. I haven't done any falling with it as yet, but I suspect that I may find the dogs a little small for my taste. As others have already noted, the air cleaner could be a lot better, but I have not experienced the issues that some from drier parts of Australia have but I will keep a close eye on the intake side of things, (I have a spare air filter as I had already ordered one before I realised that this saw would come with the flocked element).
Overall, I am left with the same warm feeling that I experienced when I bought my 394XP and stepped up from a 268. I would put this saw up against any other 60cc saw and I reckon that with 20" bars it will run with the vast majority of 75cc saws.
This one is definitely a keeper and it has become and will remain my main firewood saw. These Auto Tune saws have rewritten the book on saw performance.

Last edited:
Those filters are made to be run dry, without oil.
Maybe so, but I and many others have found that these filters fall short when dealing with the fine dust our hardwoods produce, particularly when dry. I freely admit that I overdid it and did not leave sufficient drying time before use. I have not had another problem since. Even the excellent HD filter on my 394 gets an occasional treatment with filter oil. So does my 3120.
I make sure to use one recommended for flocked elements.

The first 5 minutes you run the 562..... To set the auto tune....aren't you supposed to run it wide open under load?
I was told if you drastically change elevations you're supposed to repeat the 5 minute under load processes to set the Auto tune to the new elevation???

I ran mine for about five minutes on a 30"Red Oak, Never letting off the throttle..whether that was the correct way of doing it or not I not sure, but it runs great..

Those filters are made to be run dry, without oil.

And we oil them JJ otherwise the amount of crap that goes clean through in our conditions has to be seen to be believed. Matt and I have been doing it for a few years now on anything with a flocked filter, and it appears Karl does too.

The Dolmar/Makita HD filter and the new Stihl HD filter are the only things that seem to work as an air filter here, anything is else is just a chip/rock catcher.

FWIW Husky mandate filter oil on the flocked filter for the 3120 here if you want to maintain warranty.

Back