Impulse buy 6421 from the depot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotedustr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was at home depot today and they were having a tool sale. Long story short I walked out with a used 6421 makita for $200. I think it was a decent deal. Anyway I know that there used to be big bore kits for the 6401's and this thing has a cat muffler. Can I use a big bore kit on this or is the carb and muffler too different?

You can use the big bore kit

The carb is the same

I put a regular muffler on mine but could have used the cat muffler.

A friend took his cat muffler apart and removed the cat - then welded it back together

run it till it grenades....which will not be soon....then BB it if you really want to spend some money.

your gonna luv that saw either way.

That's my plan for it. My dad has some hunting land and I plan on just leaving it in the shed up there. I'll run it for now like it is, but I may put a kit in later on. Would be a good winter project.

Being a used saw, anything other than cleaning the aircleaner I should be doing to it? It looks like it may need a bar in the near future.

I was at home depot today and they were having a tool sale. Long story short I walked out with a used 6421 makita for $200. I think it was a decent deal. Anyway I know that there used to be big bore kits for the 6401's and this thing has a cat muffler. Can I use a big bore kit on this or is the carb and muffler too different?

You need a non-cat muffler and a decent top end. The aftermarket bigbore kits need some porting work to perform well, as I understand it - an OEM 7900 kit likely is the best option if no porting is involved.

I went to great lengths to modify the cat muffler on mine. Wont do it again. To make a long story short, I would grind the crimp off of the muffler (if you know a good welder), and clean the honeycomb out of it and put it back together. It is a 4 peice muffler, and heavy. But, you will atleast cool it down. I wasnt worried about the performance as much as I was the heat.

I ground the crimp, split the muffler. Removed the 2 inner sheilds inside of the muffler, moved the baffle over to the inner half of the muffler (welded back in), welded washers on the inner mounting brackets to make up for the material lost on the 2 inner shields (for fitment reasons), fitted the muffler back together (took a little time for fitment), and welded the seam back on the can in place of the crimp. Super clean job? You bet. Worth it? I dont think so. Wish I would have made a thread on it, but I wouldnt recommend anyone going to the hassle.
As for the big bore kit? I would hold off unless you NEED the displacement. The casting, nikasil, and fit/ finish of the 6401/6421 cylinder is superb. The NWP kit, isnt all that bad- but the nikasil is not all that good. Would I do another? If I NEEDED the extra displacement... but in my opinion, the 64cc Makita is like owning a 70cc saw to begin with. Good snag either way.

I prob won't need anything more powerful, I really don't see putting anything bigger than a 20 inch bar on it, maybe a little bigger. what I use a saw for is fire wood and dropping trees in the woods. My other saw is a 346xp with a 16 inch bar so this with a 20 or so will get everything I need cut up. It is alway easier to leave well enough alone, but it is also fun to get more horse power as well.

You need a non-cat muffler and a decent top end. The aftermarket bigbore kits need some porting work to perform well, as I understand it - an OEM 7900 kit likely is the best option if no porting is involved.

last time I checked the 7900 top end is more $ then he will have invested in the saw as it is now...and its running well. a 6400 is a great smooth running German made saw. if your into firewood it will out cut you and me. if your into picking up chicks at the local Dairy Queen then by all means swap the top. oh and be sure to tell them about your big "bore"...that gets em every time... :)

I have a BB Mak and a regular 6400. run them both at will . luv them both, would welcome another anytime I can find one cheap or easy to do.

You can use the big bore kit

The carb is the same

I put a regular muffler on mine but could have used the cat muffler.

A friend took his cat muffler apart and removed the cat - then welded it back together

Yes the carb is the same as the 7900 but the late model 6400 / 6421 have sealed adjustments.

last time I checked the 7900 top end is more $ then he will have invested in the saw as it is now...and its running well. a 6400 is a great smooth running German made saw. if your into firewood it will out cut you and me. if your into picking up chicks at the local Dairy Queen then by all means swap the top. oh and be sure to tell them about your big "bore"...that gets em every time... :)

I have a BB Mak and a regular 6400. run them both at will . luv them both, would welcome another anytime I can find one cheap or easy to do.

I just answered his question, and the saw is way to large and heavy for what the original open port engine will do.

I cant add anything technical or useful to this thread really, but i will say that i rented one from home depot once and beat the ever living dog poo out of in the 8 hrs that i had it.

If you got a home depot tool rental saw, i would look at it real close to make sure that somebody like me got to it first.

I cant add anything technical or useful to this thread really, but i will say that i rented one from home depot once and beat the ever living dog poo out of in the 8 hrs that i had it.

If you got a home depot tool rental saw, i would look at it real close to make sure that somebody like me got to it first.

Trust me I did think about that. Just take a look at the people running around the store and say, hmm would I lend them my saw....

But they had two for sale and this one was the nicer one and I figured worse case it will need a top end and a bar and chain. which is why I asked about the big bore.

sorry i meant to say that you should "take a close look at it to make sure that somebody like me DIDNT get to it first".... but i think you got my point anyway.

Its not really that i dont know how to run a saw, or that i dont take exceptional care of my own tools, its just that when its home depots saw, and you're renting it, ..........

Yeah, i say run it till it grenades and then put a new top end on it.

The tool rental guy can do a search on the computer to see if any other Home Depots are selling a specific tool you may want. I saw the screen and there were 3 for sale within 30 miles.

I had noticed they had a brand new saw, so I asked if one was for sale and it was sold. But, he said, if we get a new saw then other stores do too and thus the search.

I decided against buying one and I bought a trimmer instead. My next saw is going to be a leaf blower. That's how I deal with CAD...

I've had a few of the HD rentals and the powerheads always seem to be in great shape. It would be a good idea to check the washers that are on the clutch drum, pretty common that they're not right.

The last couple had some pretty wild burrs on the bar, serious filing required. The fact that they use the makita's as rentals says something about their toughness.

I have been trying to get my hands on one of the HD rentals for over a year now. I never catch them. I just saw a Dolmar 7300 on CL for $490.00 with 24" bar. I may just give up on the Makita and grap this Dolmar.

and the saw is way to large and heavy for what the original open port engine will do.

And that is your oppinion. I think for a firewood saw costing $200 that will probably have a great service life...weight and power may not be the most important reason to spend 2x your initial investment to improve that ratio. Firewood is one thing Felling is another. Hard to find another firewood saw for $200 that will run with a 6421 day and day out.

Well, I didn't have too much time to play with it yet, but I did just run it through a couple of logs I had laying around. It does run well and has nice power. I think this will be a good saw as is for a while. When it eventually does go down on power, I will put some kind of a top end kit on it, either a 7900 or one of the Chinese big bore kits, I guess I'll see what happens.

Latest posts

Back