in the market for chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paper specs:
Stihl 361
3.6 ci
4.4 hp
12.3 lbs.
16 to 25" bar(manuf. recomendation)
$610.00+/-

Dolmar 7900
4.8 ci
6.3 hp
13.6 lbs.
20 to 32 bar(manuf. recomendation)
$ I've seen a varity of ranges($630.00-$725.00)

Weight to HP for the money there is no comparison!

id like a good product , that with a little maint here and there will last me a while, im thinking my budget would be anywhere from 275 to a ceiling of 350.weight really isnt important to me,

Since weight isn't important to you, I'd advise looking at the Stihl MS 290. I had one and loved it. I now have a smaller Husky and love it too, but if you're going to be cutting 24 inch trees, I think you'd be happier with the extra power of the MS 290. If there's a Stihl and Husky dealer in the area, go to both. Grab a 290 and see how it feels in your hands. Do the same for the Husky 350. I found the ergonomics to be different. You may strongly prefer one. Whichever, you won't go wrong with a Husky or a Stihl. Try hard to buy from a dealer. They price their Huskys the same as Lowes and can help you a LOT after the sale. Husky dealers don't much like seeing people walk in for service with a saw that came from Lowe's. Can't say as I blame them, either.
--Tom

Don't buy a small cheap saw, you will just be upgrading next year. The Husky 350 with a 18" bar is a good saw for about $350 now they call it a 450, that is what I started with, I cut over 10 cords with it last year no problems, This year I bought a 372xp a great one two combo punch. You will find all your big cutting with the 372xp and small logs and limbing with the 350/450.
WARNING : buying saws is addicting once you use a 372xp the others will seem like little kids toy's.

I like my ECHO's!! (stir the pot)

It's all about support find a good dealer.(no matter what brand you choose) I like my ECHO's!!

CS-370
36.3 cc
14", 16", 18" bar
Dry Weight without bar: 10.0 lbs
$269.95 @ Baileys

CS-400
40.2 cc
16-18" bar
Dry Weight without Bar & Chain:10.1 lbs
$331.41 @ Baileys

If the maximum of your budget is $350 you really only have one choice. A Husqvarna 350. They sell them at your local Lowes, but do yourself a favor and find a local independent dealer who will offer it at the same price as well as makes sure it's properly assembled and give you some tips to boot.

Stihl makes an excellent saw but I really can't think of a comperable saw that will get you out the door for the same price. Oh yeah try to stay away from Poulan. Good luck.
Agreed. You cannot afford a Stihl to cut what you want to cut. Echo CS 400 is the only other option, and unless you spend more than $350, Husky is your best alternative. At one time, McCulloch was there, but it's not there anymore.

BTW, if you are truly cutting 24" trees, get a 20" bar. I think the Husky 353E can pull it. If you can get one for close to $350, buy it. If not, get the Echo CS400 with an 18" bar.

Last edited:
The town between our two towns has a Dolmar dealer. He is also a Stihl dealer, and a generally good guy. Right on Route 5 in East Windsor, next to the High School, A+B. Nonetheless, don't buy junk, Husqvarna 350, Echo, Stihl 290, Dolmar 5100, all great saws. You will spend your limit wihtout a doubt. The TSC in your town is actually pretty nice, but I would shop around.

By the way, are you getting logs or entire trees? If it's logs, go for something BIG, and don't look back. If trees, then you are going to have to limb too, and that's where size does matter...

By the way, are you getting logs or entire trees? If it's logs, go for something BIG, and don't look back. If trees, then you are going to have to limb too, and that's where size does matter...[/QUOTE]

:agree2:

The 10# and lighter (powerhead) are a treat to use when wading into the canopy of a tree you just dropped. These saws generally aren't quick at cutting anything over 12", so thats where the bigger saws earn their keep.

Another option would be to shop around for a used saw, many times you can buy a lot of used saw for the bucks. Try looking in the trading post on this site, sometimes you can get a great deal. A model that came to my mind was the husky455 rancher. I have one, and couldnt be happier with it. although mine was retired from every day use, it wasnt because of it being a lousy saw.I upgraded to a bigger saw, the 357xp for more power in bigger stuff.
Here is a pretty good deal from a fellow AS member. Looks like he wants 175 bucks for a 455 in what looks like good shape.

http://www.arboristsite.com/pp-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1764&cat=6

Pick up a new or remanufactured Makita 6401, you can get them for $300-$350. By far the best bang for your buck. It's a pro level saw and can be upgraded to the 7901 (7900) for $210 by changing the P&C should you want even more power in the future.

I am a newbie at this but here is what I have in the two years I have been cutting. I started out with my dads old saws and had them gone over and fuel lines, ect,ect. They are stihl 021 and jonsered 450. Nice saws but I wanted something a little bigger for the bigger rounds. So I went and bought a stihl ms 310 wow what a difference alot more power and with the 18 inch bar could cut alot bigger trees. but still found myself getting bigger trees given to me so this year went and bought stihl 361 with 25 in bar and it is a step up again. SO if you only want one saw this is my amateur opinion. Get the 361 with two bars a 20 and a 25 for the big stuff. I am glad that I have multable saws but if you want one good saw. do it right the first time!! my two cents

thank you all.
ecess- most of what im doin is taking down like 24" trees and limbing them, and cutting logs for splitting.
i think im leaning towards the husqavarna 350, thanks for the advice huskystihl,
i like the 455 rancher with the 20", but i think its too much saw for what i need. saturday morning will be the purchase day/woohoo!
as of right now , im thinking the husqa350 will be coming home with me.
any objections?:chainsaw:

the only other question i have is-
lowes and tractor supply both have the 350 for 349.00
i was told that husq makes a residential version for lowes,(like john deere makes for home depot) and makes a commercial version for other places.
both saws are the same price and look to be the same saw. but the are in completely different boxes.
any comments?

thanks a lot guys.
:monkey:

i was told that husq makes a residential version for lowes,(like john deere makes for home depot) and makes a commercial version for other places.
both saws are the same price and look to be the same saw. but the are in completely different boxes.
any comments?

thanks a lot guys.

If you're planning on using the saw for anything more than 20 hours a year you should really look at a pro saw, they cost a bit more but are worth it. Some good pro saws that are reasonably priced are the Husky 346XP, Dolmar 5100. If you want a bigger saw to handle bigger stuff look at the Stihl MS361, Husky 357XP or Dolmar 6400

any comments?

thanks a lot guys.

If you want to pay more money for a lesser quality, lower powered saw, by all means... the 350 is a fine choice. :)

aod and wet , thanks...do you guys like husq's at all ?
do u think all husq's are under powered and over priced, or just the 350?:cheers:

aod and wet , thanks...do you guys like husq's at all ?
do u think all husq's are under powered and over priced, or just the 350?:cheers:

What? Thems is fightin words!

Stihl and Husky run neck and neck for quality, price, and over all good saws. Sure, they make some junk, just look at the 137 I got kicking around here for my wife. Pure junk.But every brand now makes some junk that they can pass off to some unsuspecting nut who wants a saw to trim a few branches.
Price wise, if you compare Stihl to Husky, you might have a tendency to pay a little more for a Stihl, but very little.

thanks avalancher, hows your husky 445?
for 299.99 i like the looks of that saw a lot.
do you think that would be a great all around saw?:greenchainsaw:

thanks avalancher, hows your husky 445?
for 299.99 i like the looks of that saw a lot.
do you think that would be a great all around saw?:greenchainsaw:

If you mean my 455, then yeah, I like it. If you can find it for 299.99, its a bargain. I paid almost 375.00, and have been very pleased with the saw. Its a consumer grade saw, not a pro saw, but it has been very reliable and I have had no problems with it all after 4 years cutting a little over 30 cords a year. Not all that wood has been cut with that saw, my 372 takes most of the big stuff, but anything less than 20 inches goes to the 455. I have replaced it with the 357xp for only one reason, more power.
its light enough not to wear you out, and I have taken it up into a tree many times.With a 20 inch bar its fast enough to be considered good enough, any bigger than a 20 and you are going to be dragging.
If I had a compaint about this saw, its the fuel capacity. It holds less than a pint of fuel, which means more time spent refueling than I like.
This site sells them with up to a 24 inch bar, but I wouldnt advise it.

http://www.wisesales.com/Huskysaws.html

Last edited:
Your budget also needs to include room for:
round and flat files to maintain the chain
spare chains
possibly a file guide to help keep your cutters consistent.
any safety clothing that you feel necessary, a good helmet system is $60, chaps are $65, some gloves.

Regardless of the saw you do buy, stop in to let us know how you like it, and when you'll be budgeting for the next one.

Cut safe and have fun.

Latest posts

Back