In tree use only??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldchuck

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am shopping for a good quality light saw to use mostly for limbing. I notice in the Stihl catalog that their top handle saws, MS192 and MS200 T, specifically state "For in tree use only." I'm wondering why. Is there something wrong with using these saws on the ground for limbing?

What happens when a top handle saw get used for groundwork is that it's light weight and good balance leads to using the saw with one hand. The possibility of injury goes way up one handing, so to avoid liability the makers state "for in tree use only".

What Ddhlakebound said plus you can get more ground saw for the money with the 260Pro. You pay extra for the compact design of the MS200T and on the ground it's compact size is of little or no advantage. IMO the climbing saw is of such importance and cost that it should be spared of all but a bare minimum of ground cutting.

+1
of course to satisfy the multitude of non-stihl users I will say there are other rear handle saws in similiar class to the 260 that will serve the same purpose.
:)

There are also rear handled versions of the 192 and the 200, if you want mid or high quality in a saw smaller than a 260. They are both great saws.

The only time the top handles are usefull is when you have to cut with only one hand or occassionally when cutting in a tight spot where the rear handle would get in the way.

What Ddhlakebound said plus you can get more ground saw for the money with the 260Pro. You pay extra for the compact design of the MS200T and on the ground it's compact size is of little or no advantage. IMO the climbing saw is of such importance and cost that it should be spared of all but a bare minimum of ground cutting.

For once I agree with Treeco, get a 260pro and save the 200t for the tree.

And a rear handle is gonna be safer for ground work, also.
In case of kickback, your hands are too close together.
It makes the pivot very quick indeed.

Okay, I think I'm seeing the physics of it. Rotation, leverage in the event of a kickback.

So, I'm still looking for the lightest possible quality saw for limbing purposes. MS260 = 10.6 lbs. MS192 = 6.9 lbs. Don't need a lot of HP to limb but weight is an issue for me. Suggestions?

Okay, I think I'm seeing the physics of it. Rotation, leverage in the event of a kickback.

So, I'm still looking for the lightest possible quality saw for limbing purposes. MS260 = 10.6 lbs. MS192 = 6.9 lbs. Don't need a lot of HP to limb but weight is an issue for me. Suggestions?

Get the 192 rear handle.

Thanks for all the advice. I belive I'll go pick up the 192 rear grip tomorrow. $330. 7.4 lbs. Husky 346 = 10.6 lbs.

For a small saw OldChuck your choice of a 192 will serve you well. For larger limbing or firewood the 346 ne would be perfect. For my wife the 339xp saw is my choice, but the price is more than a 346.

ultimate in small saws is MS200T in rear handle form. most will not pay the $$$...

be sure and check out MS180

Latest posts

Back