Inherited a McCulloch Eager Beaver

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy Hell Never want to try swapping a chain anytime soon... Is there a better way to change the chain than taking the clutch off? also it looks like my grandfather had accidentally bought a 16" chain for it and never used it, and put it in a 14" box, or it was that way from the store he bought it from ~20 to 30 years ago.

how easy is it to remove links? would I get myself in trouble / destroy the chain?

Holy Hell Never want to try swapping a chain anytime soon... Is there a better way to change the chain than taking the clutch off? also it looks like my grandfather had accidentally bought a 16" chain for it and never used it, and put it in a 14" box, or it was that way from the store he bought it from ~20 to 30 years ago.

how easy is it to remove links? would I get myself in trouble / destroy the chain?
You don't have to remove the clutch just keep moving and wiggling it and you will find the right way to get it off, it's the joys of an outboard clutch on a tiny saw

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

For the carb, how much adjustment is on the idle adjustment screw? I think I have it tuned right now, but getting it dialed in was a b**** and ended up flooding the engine coming out of WOT a few times.

The only problem with a mini mac is that if you don't get it right you have to take it apart and start over again..there are other saws that are this way also. It would have been nice if they had made it with the carb exposed so you can at least work on it without taking the covers off.

How many pulls would you say is too much to start a saw? it took me a good 5 minutes to get it going this weekend. could it be that i'm flooding the engine or don't have something tuned right? what are the factory adjustments on this saw?

On the H and L screws I usually start at 1 1/4 turns out from lightly seated. Just choke it and pull the rope until you hear a burbling noise, take the choke to about 1/2 and pull until it starts, then take the choke to off. Most chainsaws start about the same way.. If you have it flooded, make sure the ignition is on then turn the choke off and pull the throttle trigger with one hand and pull the rope with the other until it starts. If you have to pull the rope very many times you generally have something wrong with the saw, like no spark or compression.

Ok, thats what I thought. I had to run at half choke for a few minutes until it warmed up. i'll check the high and low again. after the first few minutes it runs great. its just the startup that seems to be the bear.

For the carb, how much adjustment is on the idle adjustment screw? I think I have it tuned right now, but getting it dialed in was a b**** and ended up flooding the engine coming out of WOT a few times.
I usually adjust them with the idle up quite a bit then lower it until the chain stops turning then a little slower..

Latest posts

Back