Input on a good set of chainsaws plz.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff1988

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I do cut a pretty good amount of firewood off my father's property every year in the fall and winter. I sell to a contractor that sells to St. Louis and of course my old man buys some off of me too. His 041 has been retired for a few years now, I been using a craftsman I bought at a yardsale and a 290 farmboss I also got at a yardsale. The craftsman is my limbing saw and the 290 is for my bigger cuts...luckily havent had a tree over 38 inches in diameter yet.

Anyways the craftsman wears me out more starting it then the splitting process if you know what I mean...and the farm boss...its heavy for what power it has. And I was looking into dropping some serious money for some REAL saws. I was hoping you guys would help me pick 3. I have 3 dealers nearby so they don't have to be the same brand.

For the lightweight saw, I was thinking either a 346xp or the new echo cs500p (which is a shindaiwa) design. Both are in the same 50 dollar range the husky being a littler higher.

For the 70 cc saw, I was looking at the 372xp or the stihl 460 magnum

and the largest saw I was thinking either a 395xp or a 660 with a dual port muffler.

Probably use a 16 inch bar on the small, a 20 on the 70cc and a 25 or 28 on the 90cc.

Could I please have an input on these saws?

My initial choice was the cs500p, the 372xp, and the 660 magnum dp muffler

Any and all are good choices... I would park a 36" bar on the big saw though... The 500p or 346 will be your go to saw... You may only use the big saw 10 days out of a year, but they're awesome to have when you need em'...:rock:

realistically how often will you need a 395 or 660? Sure, it's nice to have the power but that's some major coin to try and recoup in a firewood business. The 346 is a great choice (its what I have)...but I do almost all my limbing with my 338. It's a ton easier and lighter(kinda feels like your weilding a light saber). Anything over 12" gets the 346 and anything over 16-18 all the way up to 36-40" get handled by the 372 wearing a 24" bar. By the way, none of these saws were purchased new. All were ebay finds in one level of disrepair or another and all purchased and fixed for less than half of what they go for new.

the 346xp is a good saw. I use a 357xp for most of my work. I also have the 338xp for limb and small log work, although its really not powerful enough for more than delimbing. I used the 338xp today on maple and oak logs that were 15'-18' in length and 5"-10" thickness. It bogs down a bit in the maple because of the bites it takes, so its a bit slow. Its great for removing limbs but slow for blocking. I ended up grabbing the 357xp to finish the job.

I just bought a 3120xp and its a dream to use. Man is it fast.

the 346xp is a good saw. I use a 357xp for most of my work. I also have the 338xp for limb and small log work, although its really not powerful enough for more than delimbing. I used the 338xp today on maple and oak logs that were 15'-18' in length and 5"-10" thickness. It bogs down a bit in the maple because of the bites it takes, so its a bit slow. Its great for removing limbs but slow for blocking. I ended up grabbing the 357xp to finish the job.

I just bought a 3120xp and its a dream to use. Man is it fast.

That's a bit like driving a yugo and an F150, then deciding to just get a Peterbuilt for kicks!!!
Hahahaha!!!! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin about!!! :rock:

That's a bit like driving a yugo and an F150, then deciding to just get a Peterbuilt for kicks!!!
Hahahaha!!!! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin about!!! :rock:

You are close. The 338 is more like a Prius.... :jester:

I could not pass on the 3120. I was looking for a saw to run a 28" or 32" bar. I found an unused, old inventory 3120 with 28" bar and chain at half the cost of a new one on sale. Still cost a few pesos, but man is it sweet. My 357xp has a 20" bar and is my workhorse. I used to use a 350 but the 357xp blows it away. I tried it with a 24" bar but the 20" is the way to go. The 3120 with the 28" bar cuts ash and oak like its butter. :bowdown:

Yeap I agree 346 with a 16 inch bar and the 372 with a 24 inch. If you need bigger you could run a 36 inch on the 372 for the couple times you need it. You could also run a 20 incher if you want. I don't think you'd need the bigger saw.

I have a 372 xpg and 257. The 372 is a great saw, if it won't cut it you don't want to split it. Mine is over 12 years old and still runs great with no major issues, cutting 50 - 60 cords a year.

I have no intentions of starting a fight here, but somehow I just know I will.

I’m totally baffled by your choices… Really? An Echo, a Husqvarna and a Stihl?
Why would you get three new saws from three different dealers? If you’re gonna’ buy three new saws, why wouldn’t you buy three of the same color? Just one dealer to mess with… one source for all your parts… etc.

Me? If I was gonna’ go and buy a new stable of firewood saws… Well first, I wouldn’t even consider an Echo or Husqvarna. I go straight to the top-shelf… I’d be strollin’ into my Stihl dealer and pickin’ up a 261 (with two bars, 16 and 20) and a 460 (with two bars, 25 and 32)… and skip the bigger saw altogether… I’d spend some money on a couple dozen chain loops and an MS 192 T instead.

I have no intentions of starting a fight here, but somehow I just know I will.

I’m totally baffled by your choices… Really? An Echo, a Husqvarna and a Stihl?
Why would you get three new saws from three different dealers? If you’re gonna’ buy three new saws, why wouldn’t you buy three of the same color? Just one dealer to mess with… one source for all your parts… etc.

Me? If I was gonna’ go and buy a new stable of firewood saws… Well first, I wouldn’t even consider an Echo or Husqvarna. I go straight to the top-shelf… I’d be strollin’ into my Stihl dealer and pickin’ up a 261 (with two bars, 16 and 20) and a 460 (with two bars, 25 and 32)… and skip the bigger saw altogether… I’d spend some money on a couple dozen chain loops and an MS 192 T instead.

What you're calling top shelf ain't necessarily so... The 261 is fine, but would be my third choice... The 192t is fine, but would be my 4th choice for a top handle...
And yes, I've run them all... But I just like saws... Got some dandy's... But before someone calls me a saw snob, my limbing saw is a Mac 3200...
Hey, no laughing...:msp_sneaky:

Three saws

My .02 ... Stihl MS192 or 200 if you can handle the extra bucks for the pro 200T w/ the extra .4 HP for a limb/climbing saw, then for a mid range saw (please don't laugh guys), a Husqvarna 455 . You can get them @ Lowe's for 399.99 and anyone can come up w/ a 10% off coupon. Its a rock solid saw and very dependable. We have one 7 year old 55 and two 2 year old 455's. The chain oiler problem seems to have been fixed sometime in 2009 according to my Husky dealer. For the third saw, I can't say enough about the Stihl MS660. If you want a light, very powerful saw that you can run all day with B/C combinations from 20" - 36", then that is my favorite. And if you ever get to point that you actually wear out a saw and have to rebuild it, the Husqvarnas are more like a flat head ford to rebuild and the Stihls are like a V-12 Jag engine. I rebuild 'em all...but if you take care of any top-notch saw, they will run for a decade without needing an overhaul.

I'm gonna buck the trend here.

Get a good 50cc saw like a MS261 or Husky 346xp, and a Dolmar 7900. The two will cover everything except gall bladder removal and the largest of trees.

The dolly weighs about the same as a 440 or 372 and will run a 28" bar with authority, so there is no need for a thumper.
Same with the 261 and 346. Both will pull a 20" bar and anything they wont handle readily, requires the 7900 anyhow.

Spend the difference on chain, and PPE. ;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I only ever use two saws , I use a Husqvarna 142 with a 16" bar for limbing up to 6" Or when it's broke down like now...lol I use my Poulan 306A with a 16" bar , anything bigger than 6" I use Stihl 066 with a 20" bar makes fast work of anything I cut.

I just cut 2 1/2 cords today , 2 white Oaks 12" to 14" diamiter and a big Black Walnut 34" diamiter.

I would never go out and just buy 3 new saws but thats just me , If I did buy another saw it would be a Stihl 026 or a MS 260 to replace the Husqvarna thats always breaking down, Only saw I ever bought new and it's J U N K sure it's nice and lite and ease to use when it works but it never works for long and I have to pull out the old Poulan 306A to finish the job at hand.

So I guess if you have to get new saws just get a MS 260 or the new MS 261 and a MS 660 2 good saws is all you need for cutting fire wood.

l3lue :blob2:

I skipped all the other answers, because I'm sure it's all good advice. I probably cut 15 to 20 cord a year for me and friends. I use 3 to 5 cords myself and sell another 3 to old customers. Then I fell and buck up similar amounts for friends, I don't have to split it, just make it so they can handle it. I have a Farm Boss 290 also and love it for a little saw. The rest of my saws are all old Pro Homelites from the 70's. Two 100 CC 1050's, a couple XL924's and Xl700's. They all start easy and run like "striped arse apes". I'm 56 and can handle the weight with no problem. The XL's have bars from 20" to 30", and the 1050's have 36" and 24".

The only reason I posted this is it scares me to think you are going to drop several thousand dollars and you're not a Pro in business. On the other hand, if you take care of them, in 40 years you can write this same reply to some young guy. Good luck, and cut 'em up, Joe.

Get yourself a 7900, and the need for a 660/395 disappears. If you need a bigger saw go straight to the top, 880/3120 - but if you're cutting firewood, I guarantee you don't NEED a saw that big (Git it if ya want it, but ya dont NEED one). 79ccs, acts like 85ccs, weighs the same as 70cc saws, and a bit cheaper to boot.

I don't use a 50cc saw as a small saw, I have a nice PS-5100S that I keep around just in case I need it, but I limb and trim with a PS-420, and the bigger work goes to the PS-7300 (7900's little brother, NLA, and all I could justify at the time I bought it. I don't regret it and will put it against any 441 or 372 stock-stock.).

If you really need a longbar saw now and then, save most of the cash, watch epay and c/l and get a Jred 900 series, Pioneer P-50-60, 084 Stihl, Husky 2100, or any of the bigger McCullochs. They're all old iron, but they will get the job done for 1/4 or less the price of a new 6 cube saw.

Back