Insect Repellents

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fwf

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This thread is for anyone to post their experiences with insect repellents. Here is my story.

I've used Deet for years with pretty good results but never really cared for the stuff. It can be messy and you have to remember to apply and reapply it. About a month ago, I began using a permethrin clothing treatment for my work closes and this stuff really works.

The product I found is called "Durvet Tick & Mosquito Repellent". You use it by spraying your clothes until saturated, then letting them dry for 2-4 hours before wearing. The treatment lasts for 2 weeks and remains active even after several clothes washings. The active ingredient is permethrin at 0.5%.

I've been using it for about a month now with superb results. I work in the deep woods 40-60 hours a week, and have always been a magnet for insects, but in the past month, I have had exactly one bite and no ticks.

The regimen I am using is to treat my work clothes, boots, and caps every other Sunday and let them dry. Then for the next 2 weeks, I wear a clean set each day and wash the dirty set normally.

The cost of the repellent is $6.00 for a 6 oz. aerosol can. For me, two cans will treat 3 shirts, 3 pairs of pants, 3 caps, and a pair of boots, so the cost is about $6 per week.

There are other brands of permethrin clothing treatment on the market and I assume they all work about the same. I found the Durvet brand at my local farm store, but have not seen it in any drug or discount stores locally.

I will post back here if my results change, but so far the permethrin treatment is the most effective and trouble-free insect repellent solution I have ever found.

jemclimber said:
This might no be a concern with the concentration being so low, but you may want to look at the following:
Permethrins

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I can not find any reference to this specific use on that page. We use countless very dangerous chemicals in our daily lives that are safe when used in a specific manner.

I always have used DEET but recently limits have been placed on the max concentration allowed in commercially available formulations, 25% I believe.

Permethrin has been issued to the military here for years for use in known malaria areas. It does work, but can be dangerous to your health, and DEET still must be applied on exposed skin. I opted not to use it when I was in Afghanistan.

Avon Skin-So-Soft

I learned from an older logger when I was a little kid that Avon Skin-So-Soft soaked into the fabric around your neck and arms and on a hat if you're wearing one will keep most of the bugs away. It's a little greasy when you put it on but that quickly goes away. It has citronella in it and it smells a little girly but it actually works surprisingly well without being toxic. I have a serious deerfly/pinefly problem and it even kept most of them away yesterday.

Laugh if you want but try it, it works.

CNY, funny you mentioned that junk. Id heard the same thing but when I spent my summers in N. Minn. that stuff did nothing but Atract bugs.

As for the peremethrin, I recently sat in on a talk at our Boy Scout meeting in which a father is also a pediatrician. His talk was on bug reppellant. He talked about the perem sprays and the amount of active ingrediant was not of concern in relation to long term effects.

He also said that if a tick gets on sprayed clothing, by the time it could walk across your pant leg, it would DIE! Next time Im going to tick,chigger, or heavy mosquito country, Im lathering up w/ peremethrin.

okietreedude1 said:
CNY, funny you mentioned that junk. Id heard the same thing but when I spent my summers in N. Minn. that stuff did nothing but Atract bugs.

As for the peremethrin, I recently sat in on a talk at our Boy Scout meeting in which a father is also a pediatrician. His talk was on bug reppellant. He talked about the perem sprays and the amount of active ingrediant was not of concern in relation to long term effects.

He also said that if a tick gets on sprayed clothing, by the time it could walk across your pant leg, it would DIE! Next time Im going to tick,chigger, or heavy mosquito country, Im lathering up w/ peremethrin.

Maybe it's different in different areas, here in central NY it works great, we have deerflies, mosquitos and huge horseflies/mayflies and it definitely cuts down the massive swarm that buzzes around your head the moment you go into the shade up here...

Latest posts

Back