Inside the 441 M-Tronic Carb.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eiklj

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've had this saw on my bench for awhile now and finally got most of the parts in to fix it. It's in the shop because the owner dropped a tree on it and busted up the tank housing and broke a chunk off the left case half.
View attachment 252317View attachment 252318View attachment 252321
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

While it's on the bench, I thought I'd tear into the electronic carb to see what it looks like. I thought I'd take some pics along the way. There is nothing wrong with the carb (yet), I was just curious.
Is there a way to make my pictures smaller?

Here's what controls the fuel flow. Just 2 wires going into it. I want to find out if it's maybe a 5v system and exactly how it's controlling the fuel flow. Maybe a PWM signal? (Pulse Width Modulated) which is quite common in electro-hydraulic control systems that use a small input voltage to control hydraulic flow??? I don't really know, just guessing.
View attachment 252343View attachment 252344View attachment 252345
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Very cool - repped!

There are only two wires that go to the carb, running to the the fuel control and the switch, and also providing power. Clearly they are not using the chassis as a ground/return. The wires run to the fuel control first, so the switch is not opening the circuit. I expect that they are doing PWM to the fuel control, and that they can detect a dead short on the output from the closing of the micro switch. So they know rpm from the ignition and they can detect choke - that's it. There may be a temperature sensor in the module, but somehow I doubt it. They just lean the mixture periodically and watch what happens to the rpm, and from that they determine which way to adjust the mixture.

It's a very simple system, but it provides feedback and corrects the inability of a standard carb to provide a fixed fual/air mixture with varying load, as well as compensating for atmospheric and other changes.

Thanks for the comments and feedback. I'm always glad to pass on any info I can. I've learned so much on this site and feel it's my duty to share when I can.
I can post more pics if anybody wants to see something in more detail. (not just the carb) I still have everything tore apart on the bench and probly will for the week. I'm ready to split the case so's I can swap out the broken half.
je

Thank you-great photos.

I now go to my Stihl dealer and order a spare carb for my MS440. :D

Latest posts

Back