Inside the Husqvarna 550XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are the hot restarts? After sitting a few minutes?

How are the hot restarts? After sitting a few minutes?

non issue so far. Last carb reading was 128.

I've found that on very hot days a hot start with throttle advance is a sure fire though.

non issue so far. Last carb reading was 128.

I've found that on very hot days a hot start with throttle advance is a sure fire though.

Sweet. I've also found a high idle start makes it a nonissue. I have only had one issue with a hot restart that didn't matter what I did but it came right out of it and was flawless since then.

After 7 tanks do you feel it's better than, equal to, or less than the 346?

Sweet. I've also found a high idle start makes it a nonissue. I have only had one issue with a hot restart that didn't matter what I did but it came right out of it and was flawless since then.

After 7 tanks do you feel it's better than, equal to, or less than the 346?

Better performance while sipping fuel. Another thing to note is the typical xtorq clean burn. No smell or burning of the eyes ever.

Time will tell on longevity of course.

My only issue is, not with this saw per say is the 60cc tweener saw argument. To me the 562 rewrote some rules or at least bent them. The 562 is so much more saw, now that this platform is so smooth and balanced I believe stock for stock even the 372 is challenged to at least some extent by the 62. Guys that want possible the best 50cc saw ever will find a good saw here. Just run a 62 :help:

Gonna catch heck for this I know

Did I just make an argument, the same argument that gets under my skin so bad lol. Insinuating a saw is irrelevant due to its lack of 10cc's

I'm sorry.

New vid will be up tomorrow in conclusion.

Strange. My Fast Tach did't.....maybe I need to try again. :confused:

You were right Mitch. I tried it again today. It started out at 13,600, went to 13,800, then wen't right to 11ish to 12,000ish right after that. Guess I didn't hold it long enough the first time.

Played with the ignition timing today. At or past 1/3 key will not allow the saw to rev. Settled in at approx 1/4 key. Will get a measurement later.

Drove down to Homelite410's place to swapping parts. He took the 550 for a couple test runs saying "Now why would any one want a 346" Sure he'll be by later to comment.

Well, this is the final act. Pulls very strong with a a broad power band. Will have to double check but it seemed like I got 3 seconds with ease over the stock saw....in this size wood I'd call it a success.

[video=youtube_share;DWlkG96vbEE]http://youtu.be/DWlkG96vbEE[/video]

You were right Mitch. I tried it again today. It started out at 13,600, went to 13,800, then wen't right to 11ish to 12,000ish right after that. Guess I didn't hold it long enough the first time.

Wondered if my refresh rate was throwing me. Played with yours yet?

Nice job Mitch. The thread, the work, and all those who contribute makes for a great forum and intro to a new chainsaw. Good gains and ease of operation as shown at the end of the video. Can't imagine wanting for more, thanks. ;)

Nice job. Are you running .325 or 3/8?

.325 16" full ch

Went back through the vids

Stock :10 :10 :09

Finished :07 :07 :06 :07

After running any saw for a week you tend to get use to it. Picking up my hopped up 350 today really put it in perspective.....and most firewood cutters would be impressed with that saw.

Depending on reliability, this saw may set a new standard. Stihl is going to have to raise the cutting speed on the 261 or be left in the dust...just my opinion :msp_razz:

Mitch, have you run a ported 261? I would love to know how they compare.

No, the one I owned was mm only. Don't get me wrong, the 261 is a fantastic saw. Seems to me Stihl went more for torque than in the cut speed in that model. That can be changed of course :D

Wondered if my refresh rate was throwing me. Played with yours yet?

Not yet. I guess I'll wait until the 6 months is up. Im still uneasy about all the electronic stuff and a new model too. I figured by that time you good builders will have them figured out then I can just copy you'alls :msp_wink:. :msp_w00t:

No, the one I owned was mm only. Don't get me wrong, the 261 is a fantastic saw. Seems to me Stihl went more for torque than in the cut speed in that model. That can be changed of course :D

Stihl seems to have trouble making saws that do both.....:msp_wink:

Mitch stopped by Friday with the 550 and let me take it for a spin. I will say that I am very impressed with the way that baby runs! That saw flat out hauls azz and asks for more. I am not a 346 fan by any means but I would sure like one of these!! Great job on that saw Mitch, but I have learned not to expect anything less from you! :msp_wink:

MP tear down

[video=youtube_share;E18quXUqOz0]http://youtu.be/E18quXUqOz0[/video]

Back