Inside the Husqvarna T540

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great Mitch. It significantly resembles a 550, even down to the port timing. Should run quite well once you're done with it. I have one here as well. It's next on the bench.

Very similar. Tear down and assembly is easy with a couple minor gripes. There are three different fasteners requiring a T27 and the carb/secondary is fun to manage into a tight spot. Other than that, built like a tank.

Well since I can manage a post on this forum today....

Mitch,

Great video - You did a fabulous job on my 562xp. Runs like a top. I have been eyeing this saw. I will email you if I decide to get one of these. Good Job!

Damn Mitch,
That's a different saw all together. Just out of question, would you expect that a MM only would yield a similar percentage gain to that of the 550/562? I have been contemplating another 50cc saw (550) but I like the ide of a top handle in the Hedge I'm often dealing with, coupled with my growing interest in fun-climbing. I may still end up with the 550, but that looked good stock and nasty ported. I'm just trying to get a feel for what a MM ONLY would gain as swinging a saw and porting at the same time may be taboo in my household for a bit... LOL

Damn Mitch,
That's a different saw all together. Just out of question, would you expect that a MM only would yield a similar percentage gain to that of the 550/562? I have been contemplating another 50cc saw (550) but I like the ide of a top handle in the Hedge I'm often dealing with, coupled with my growing interest in fun-climbing. I may still end up with the 550, but that looked good stock and nasty ported. I'm just trying to get a feel for what a MM ONLY would gain as swinging a saw and porting at the same time may be taboo in my household for a bit... LOL

I wouldn't expect the same change with a MM as in the 550. Also, to get the muffler out is near a complete tear down.....unless I figure out a new technique.

As with 550, 562 ect. Little changes in the right places REALLY bring them to life. Going to put some time on this one, when satisfied, it will find a new home.

Nice! Interesting that they haven't bothered with quad transfers (which makes sense as I wouldn't think they'd be needed with strato).

I wouldn't expect the same change with a MM as in the 550. Also, to get the muffler out is near a complete tear down.....unless I figure out a new technique.

As with 550, 562 ect. Little changes in the right places REALLY bring them to life. Going to put some time on this one, when satisfied, it will find a new home.
I just did a muffler mod on it last night and haven't really felt much improvement. You ain't kidding about getting that thing out either what a pita !!

Character is who you are when no one is looking

I do appreciate the pictures of the insides of these things. Perhaps we could discuss how the fuel air mix gets to those transfer holes. I added some arrows to a picture from this thread. The fuel air mix basically goes into the space under the piston as it rises and upon lowering has to make it into those holes I put the two smaller arrows near. Does this flow basically go via the gap between the crank wheels? I see the crank is stuffed but the wheels don't seem to really stuff the space for the crank. Do you think the not fully stuffed crank cavity is for flow purposes or is there room for more stroke? Kind of looks like not an easy passage for a volume of gas that would fit under a piston of that scale.

Attachments

• t540 transfer flow.jpg
    t540 transfer flow.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 35
In between and around yes. The charge captured under the piston has less volume to compress increasing case pressure and velocity through the trans. Which in most Strato saw's this is a big performance gain due to the length of the single trans design. One must also account for the clean air in the upper trans that precedes the fuel/air charge. Some of that charge needs to clear the combustion chamber of the spent charge first.

Have you weighed it? We all know manufacturer specs mean nothing.

Have you weighed it? We all know manufacturer specs mean nothing.

I have not but believe Brad did?

Swallowed another tank tonight after playing with the timing some more. As with other AT saws, it doesn't like or need much advance.

Guys will argue about weight, balance and feel but one thing is certain. This saw is certainly not short on power.

Latest posts

Back