Inside the Husqvarna T540

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was curious when you mentioned changing the timing. Thanks for the update.

Advancing the ignition on these has the same affect as on the Echo line. In the cut speed isn't changed but if advanced just a hair to much, throttle response is slowed considerably.

Awesome job Mitch!!!
One other feature that I noticed when I tested one out at my local dealer was the starter rope handle has a rubber cushion built in, same concept as Stihl's elasto-start. I did notice the saw pulled over nice and smooth which will be a plus for the guys in a tree.

Like many have stated already... I thought the saw had good power. As far as feel im not the guy to ask, I've only ran a few top handles out there.

Great work..and great vid !! That thing sounds great in the cut after you worked your magic !!

I just tore one of these down, and was thinking about this thread. Just reread the whole thing.....another excellent thread Mitch.

I would not classify myself as a pro. A more apt classification would be an old fart that hacks on saws in his backyard.

I cut enough out of the squish band to tighten the squish to .020 and lose the base gasket. The raised the exhaust and transfers back up. I've yet to start it.

I posted this else where, just adding it here.

"Heads up. Base is .17" at it's greatest thickness. Also parts bolt to the cylinder and case so things would have to be slotted....Wouldn't recommend cutting base."

I've read of a few who have noted very limited (less than expected) performance change in performance after doing only the muffler mod on the T540. I believe that this is due to the fact that exhaust is only allowed to travel from the expansion chamber to the exit chamber via the very small area between the edges of the mounting bolt recesses and the outer edge of the muffler. To deal with this I have cut the upper corners of the baffle, hopefully leaving enough that there will actually be some muffling.

DSCN5960.JPG
Above: Hopefully most of the sound reflection is in tact.

Below: Close to double the area open from the expansion chamber to the exit chamber
DSCN5962.JPG

Below: Maximized final exit area. Maximized spark arrestor screen area. I like my screen. I think it keeps garbage out of my expensive saw.DSCN5967.JPG DSCN5968.JPG

That is near text book how I do them. Very loud though.

I get the feeling from your threads that not much gets by you, but the rest of us plebes...
So you relieved the top of the piston: Did you plane the bottom of the jug or is the clearance that tight for just pulling the paper gasket?

Pulling the gasket necessitates a .015 pop-up at minimum. I won't cut the base on these. It is plenty thin already and don't want to weaken it any.

Latest posts

Back