Interestign problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TJ-Bill

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
OK here's the deal.. The wife's family has an old farm house about an hour away with 100 acres. the front 20 has never been cut and has enough wood on it for 10 years the back 80 had 1/2 selectively cut about 30 years ago, so really there enough wood out there to last a life time. The wife’s dad has given my the thumbs up to cut whatever I want so really I never have to but wood again, I just have to go get it.

My issues are it’s at least an hour away most on so-so secondary roads – I don’t have a truck right now and well look at the pictures.

31174210150838656965105.jpg

imgp4432k.jpg

There’s abit of a hill where they good wood is, it’s steeper then it looks in the photo’s.

I just can’t see away of economically cutting 6-8 cord a year and getting it home for less then I pay now. I love the idea of going and cutting my own wood but I don’t want my expense to double just to do it.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
I can't help you with the asked question, other than to say I'd find a way to spend as much time there as possible. Nice place.

STLfirewood

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
It all depends on the equipment you have. Six to eight cords of wood is one good weekend of cutting. You could always try craigslist and hire someone to haul it all. Or you could rent a U-haul. The main this is going to be getting it out of the woods. There will be enough standing dead,trees down, and snags to easily fill 6-8 cords of wood. You could always still buy some wood and just cut some of what you need. Just get a small trailer and haul some home with you every time you go out there.

Scott

kyle1!

kyle1!

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Nice Postcard

Can you cut firewood on the 100acres to sell at that location then use that money to pay for the wood closer to home? What about logging the land without destroying that view and shipping the logs to your place. Probably too costly but if you got all the wood ready what does it cost for a truck plus 120miles to deliver logs to your place?

Brian

EXCALIBER

EXCALIBER

ArboristSite Guru
Will Cut for Food!

Simply solution, you feed me and I will come cut for you just to have a view like that one. Holy hell man I want one. Um do you need much excuse to go cut in a place like that I think not, call the extra expense a vacation, or therapy, or detox but I would spend all my time there if'n I was you! Wow

TJ-Bill

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
It is a beautiful spot. Like the FIL says “the house is a problem but it’s a good problem to have”. The house is over 150 yrs old, no one lives there, and the only plumbing in the house is in an addition which is not insulated. It’ll be ours some day and I think it would make a great place to retire and build. I always wanted a camp, well this is a big camp.

Ever since the weekend and he told me I could cut whatever I wanted I’ve been up at night trying to figure out how I was going to pull this off.

I think the best answer for now is to buy a 4door 4x4 1/2 ton so I can take the family down and take alittle bit of wood back with us. (Or maybe I shoud l get a 2door so it’s just me and the dogs!) I really wanted an excuse to buy a 2wd 1 ton with a dump but I really don’t think this is it.

I figure if I starting cutting abit next spring then I can see how it goes, how much time We/I can spend down there.

HD2010

HD2010

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
If I were you I would buy any equipment I needed to get in those woods. I really enjoy heating with our fireplace. It makes it even more enjoyable knowing we provided the wood with our labor. Cost is not in the mix. I have spent lots more money on equipment and gas than I have saved by heating with wood. I just thank God that I am physically capable of enjoying what he has provided for us.

Would he let you harvest wood to sell? That would help with your costs.

cnice_37

cnice_37

ArboristSite Guru
Aside from moving there, which has been suggested.... what are you working with? Jeep?

Trailers are much cheaper to maintain than dedicated wood hauler, and should be able to haul a good cord with a Jeep I'd think.

Skidder? Jeep!

Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I've always taken the notion of the money saved from not paying a heating bill should be put onto making your "fuel recovery" easier, at least some of it anyway. Over the years it adds up. You don't have to have everything to start, just build up and look for deals. You might also consider selling locally to boost the kitty. Ask the family if they are okay with that. Used utility/fleet trucks go reasonable around here or get a small tractor to get the wood out.

I all boils down to how much ambition or desire you have.

TJ-Bill

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Aside from moving there, which has been suggested.... what are you working with? Jeep?

Trailers are much cheaper to maintain than dedicated wood hauler, and should be able to haul a good cord with a Jeep I'd think.

Skidder? Jeep!

The Jeep is being sold off piece by piece to pay for The Backhoe I'm getting. I'm sure they backhoe would haul the wood up the hill but I don't have the equipment to float it back and forth and the going rate for a float is about $145 an hour around here.

I do have a 16' Tandem trailer, just need a truck that can haul it safely when it's loaded

rmount

rmount

ArboristSite Operative
I would be tempted to cut, split and pile there. Then hire a local with a dump truck to haul it to your other place. A lot of guys with dumps also have loaders, if you had it tossed in a pile it shouldn't cost too much to have someone load it (no more than an hour) and truck a couple of hours away. What part of NB are you in? We just came through there on our way to and from Sydney, visiting our daughter. First time I'd been out that way in years, I'd almost forgotten just how beautiful it is. I like the new Hwy 2 but feel sorry for the businesses in all the by-passed towns, they must be taking quite a hit.

TJ-Bill

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
I would be tempted to cut, split and pile there. Then hire a local with a dump truck to haul it to your other place. A lot of guys with dumps also have loaders, if you had it tossed in a pile it shouldn't cost too much to have someone load it (no more than an hour) and truck a couple of hours away. What part of NB are you in? We just came through there on our way to and from Sydney, visiting our daughter. First time I'd been out that way in years, I'd almost forgotten just how beautiful it is. I like the new Hwy 2 but feel sorry for the businesses in all the by-passed towns, they must be taking quite a hit.

I was looking on Google earth tonight and I noticed there is an old road on the upper portion. Perfect place to haul out some trees and cut and split. I think I'll be taking the dogs out after hunting season to scout it out

I Live in Fredericton (about right in the middle) chances are you drove right by on your way through.

logbutcher

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Looks like a dream place-beautiful ! Those trees need some thinning.

As someone said, hire a Consulting Forester (or whatever they're called in N.B.) . Cruise the whole woodlot with him to get a solid concept of how not to harvest, but how to manage it over time. The money spent will be educational, enjoyable, and protect what you have for the future. You have plenty of other wood in N.B. for firewood harvesting. Firewood is not usually the highest and best use of woodlands.

Good luck....you're fortunate.

tomsteve

tomsteve

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
It is a beautiful spot. Like the FIL says “the house is a problem but it’s a good problem to have”. The house is over 150 yrs old, no one lives there, and the only plumbing in the house is in an addition which is not insulated. It’ll be ours some day and I think it would make a great place to retire and build. I always wanted a camp, well this is a big camp.

Ever since the weekend and he told me I could cut whatever I wanted I’ve been up at night trying to figure out how I was going to pull this off.

I think the best answer for now is to buy a 4door 4x4 1/2 ton so I can take the family down and take alittle bit of wood back with us. (Or maybe I shoud l get a 2door so it’s just me and the dogs!) I really wanted an excuse to buy a 2wd 1 ton with a dump but I really don’t think this is it.

I figure if I starting cutting abit next spring then I can see how it goes, how much time We/I can spend down there.

1st suggestion: spend them nights you are up all nite there! as stated, gettin a forester there to get a plan is a great way to start. something to throw into the mix of all yer thinkin: gettin a tractor/ATV to get in there to get the wood out. less damage to the land and a lot easier to maneuver in the woods.

Latest posts