Interesting find inside a tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jewelerjake

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My brother and I are milling up a claro walnut and hit something in the stump. I was pretty surprised. And irritated since I forgot to bring an extra chain. Oh well. It's an old tractor bearing.grown several inches into the tree.
f2fb82a554b2cdc58bebda4c1f8d5d31.jpg
646456d2d35c1e3e269dc5346ed07aca.jpg
312b67a00027b46723ecf4f00ed312da.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Sorry that happened. Wonder if a metal detector would have found that before your chain. I am new to milling and it would seem a metal detector would be good insurance, if they work in wood.

Not good. I dropped it off this morning to see if it is salvageable. No broken teeth somehow.

Next time I am bringing my metal detector. Never needed to before, but this is a yard tree. Should have known better.

Sorry that happened. Wonder if a metal detector would have found that before your chain. I am new to milling and it would seem a metal detector would be good insurance, if they work in wood.
The more sensitive the better. IMO detector would reach deeper into ground than log. May be good to run it over last cut for info about next slice. There is some discussion some where here in AS, but I don't know the location

I have a contract with a local tree company that brings me wood from yard trees in the area.
Most of the things I find are old dog chains, eye hooks,nails and that sort of thing. I did find a whole chevy alternator in the crotch that had been completely grown over. I have a live oak that has an old can hook sticking out of a fork where it was put there (by me, I forgot) many years ago.
Forks are a great place to find forgotten items that get grown over.

Years ago I was working at a commercial circle mill and a huge butt section of oak came in. We had to take a chainsaw to the first few slabs to get them off and things squared up/smaller. I can't remember diameter of the circle saw?

We got a few 8/4 slabs off and the mill stopped dead, lights in the mill dimmed. If I remember the motor was 3 phase 440V. We couldn't back out the carriage, so we got all the guys in the mill and used a section of pole size as a battering ram to free the carriage. The blade was toast, besides broken teeth it wobbled 1-2". Boss was not happy, swore to high hell at the loggers who brought in a line tree.

What was discovered was a bunch of horseshoes that had been sharpened on the ends and driven in to hold rails for a fence gate. It was over 90 oF that day and we were all happy to have the afternoon off of the millwork.:yes:

Next time I am bringing my metal detector. Never needed to before, but this is a yard tree. Should have known better.

IMG_20170603_101923.jpg I've got a metal detector @ home & even suggested to others middle of hole 5/16" rod that dog chain was hooked to most of my life ago between 4 trunks from one set o roots.

Latest posts

Back