Interesting observations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread about interesting things that seem to work or not work for no apparent reason.

I'll start with how my chain saw cuts through wood.
Ever notice that your saw cuts better at different angles. Why is that?
Say I'm cutting a tree that has been felled (log)
Once I get the cut started it seems to cut better if I let the tip stay lower then the handle.
If I let it level out or let the tip get too high (relative to the handle) it doesn't cut as well.
Once I get a cut started and let the tip stay lower then the handle, it seems to pull itself through the wood.
In fact, when the chain is sharp, I actually have hold the saw up to keep it from cutting too much wood or it stalls.

Ever notice that your saw cuts better when the chain is almost down to the indicators and almost no teeth left?
I run my chains till the teeth break off. And when they get down to the indicators, it really starts cutting real good.

One more.
Ever notice how well your saw runs just as it starts to run out of gas?
I presume it running on vapor.

What odd things have you observed while working with firewood?

Deez nuts!
Your saw making more power before it runs out of gas is a lean condition ,try not to do that ,it could harm your piston ,if your chain is self feeding and bogging the saw at same time ,i would think a little too much was taken off the rakers ,try to keep them around .025 and it will cut smoother ,the chain will cut better after the halfway point in my experience ,the kerf gets a little narrower so it speeds up the cut ,and helps evacuate chips better ,the different angle thing you could be cutting through a thinner part of the log ,instead of strait across loading the saw less ,letting the chips clear easier ,Yes we are chainsaw nuts ,Carry on .

Sundance ,i was givin the op a hard time ,maybe i should have put a smile face there ,i forgot to this time, jeesh

Your saw making more power before it runs out of gas is a lean condition ,try not to do that ,it could harm your piston ,if your chain is self feeding and bogging the saw at same time ,i would think a little too much was taken off the rakers ,try to keep them around .025 and it will cut smoother ,the chain will cut better after the halfway point in my experience ,the kerf gets a little narrower so it speeds up the cut ,and helps evacuate chips better ,the different angle thing you could be cutting through a thinner part of the log ,instead of strait across loading the saw less ,letting the chips clear easier ,Yes we are chainsaw nuts ,Carry on .

Sundance ,i was givin the op a hard time ,maybe i should have put a smile face there ,i forgot to this time, jeesh

10-4 Good Buddy!

Why do gas prices climb overnight while when the "crisis" ends it takes 2 weeks for the prices to come back down?

Why is gas so expensive in relation to the price of a barrel of crude now?
"Politics" Speaking of things that work well but we don't know why........................................er....:nofunny:

:crazy:

I have noticed that idiots in the woods, see **** that ain't there, because they want to be distracted from reality.

Reality involves work.

Good luck.
The Manitou is gonna own your ass.

Because the price of crude oil has little-or-nothing to do with the price of gasoline.
The price of gasoline is driven by expected (future) supply vs. expected (future) demand. We have limited gasoline production capability in this country... it don't matter how much oil we have, we can only make so much gas per day. Not all refineries make gasoline. Gas is a combination, or blend of different fractional distillates from oil, and not all refineries have the capability. That's why the price of gas goes up as we approach the "vacation" season... more people are "expected" to be using more gas, so the "expected" relationship between supply and demand changes.
There's also a new artificial dynamic added in over the last decade or so... called ethanol. It costs more to produce ethanol than it does to produce gas, and there's the added cost of shipping and blending it into the gasoline. So now the supply vs. demand of ethanol affects gas prices... and the corn market affects ethanol prices... ethanol has increased the price of gasoline (even e-free gas), it ain't lowered it.
If we want cheaper gas... we need to build more refineries... and dump ethanol... the price of oil has little-or-nothing to do with it.
(Don't forget the taxes and fees you pay on a gallon of gas.)

I think my saw runs better after a Budweiser or two... but that may be my imagination.

Why do gas prices climb overnight while when the "crisis" ends it takes 2 weeks for the prices to come back down?

Commodity trading and contracts have to run their course before actual at the pump retail prices get changed and become more competitive. A sudden spike up causes more contracts to be sold. but down makes those boys scramble to see how they can cover any shorts. It's goofy.That whole layer of middlemen, meh.

Commodity trading and contracts have to run their course before actual at the pump retail prices get changed and become more competitive. A sudden spike up causes more contracts to be sold. but down makes those boys scramble to see how they can cover any shorts. It's goofy.That whole layer of middlemen, meh.

A big part of the quick rise/slow fall is the owners raise prices as soon as they hear of a price rise coming even if they won't be buying any for awhile. Slow fall, they don't lower prices until they use up most of the higher prices stuff hey bought and have to buy more.

Harry K

I learned the hard way trying to finish a cut as the saw was running/leaning out of fuel. Kept shaking the engine trying to get the last RPM out of it. That was on one of my favorite saws my Dad bought back in the early 70's, a Homelite 1050, 100CC's of torque. Heated up the piston enough to melt the rings into the grooves. Found an NOS head, piston, and carb, but haven't gotten around to rebuilding it, Joe.

Back