Interesting Question..?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I saw this on another forum; the User from that forum KarlP wrote{to Husqvarna] and posted there reply, a Copy below;

Author=KarlP wrote and posted;

I used their online form to ask them about this twice and got no response. The third time I asked a simpler question to start with and followed up with what I really wanted to know.

Me: "What fuel to oil mix ratio to you recommend for the longest engine life of a Husqvarna 385xp used for chainsaw milling?"

Husq: "Thank you for contacting Husqvarna. The best fuel/oil mix will be the 50:1 ratio using quality 2 cycle oil that is designed for chainsaws, and use fresh fuel, 89-93 octane for best performance."

Me: "In that case I'm curious if you could tell me why one version of the US 385xp manuals (http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HOUS/HOUS2004/HOUS2004_1140238-95.pdf) as well as all of the manuals for New Zealand, Sweden, and many other countries recommend 33:1 for Husqvarna saws over 80cc? I assumed it was for longer engine life."

Husq: "The different ratio can be attributed to different fuel quality in the countries that you listed. The owners manuals for all Husqvarna products in the US call for a 50:1 fuel ratio."

That said, I myself use a 1 gallon Husqvarna mix in .85 gallons of Super Unleaded from the local Exxon station that has one hose for each grade in a new saw just incase the rumors of conventional oil leading to a better breakin are true. After that I switch to 3oz of Mobil 1 racing per US gallon. That both makes measurement easy and gives me around 42 2/3:1."

END OF QUOTE

.....................................................................................................

My comment, I did look up the Operator's Manual{International Version] for my saw, a 395XP.

You can see a copy here;
http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/HOEN/HOEN2004/HOEN2004_1140256-26.pdf

And Yes they have the following on page 25, bottom right;

Mixing ratio
For engines up to 80 cc: 01:50 (2%)
For engines over 80 cc: 01:33 (3%)

Your thought and comments?

Regards

Joseph

Just a guess, but from a legal (EPA) stand point they have to tell that.

I like alittle more oil , I know with 385's up here the cranks seem to last longer with more oil than the 50-1 with husky mix.The guys running 32-1 donot seem to have any trouble with the 385's . It seems that when the snow gets deep that is when they have the most trouble .

I vote EPA. Of course, saws wearing out a bit earlier does have its advantages for companies that sell saws and parts. Why fight the EPA?

Mark

Well I have an abused 025 that Lakeside just fixed for me,it has 145lbs of compression and has alwyas been run at 40:1-50:1 mix usually with 87 gas, and this saw was used as my large production saw until I got the MS390.

Latest posts

Back