International Harvester...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
...never made chainsaws (that I know of), although they made some dang good trucks!

This thread is slightly off topic...any Binder fans in here? I have a whole fleet in various stages. If you have one, or some, post up some pictures or tell us about them...might be a nice break from the chainsaw banter.

Josh

Not a binder, local auctioneers have a 1965 1200 4x4 with about 6,000 miles on it. Was a grass fire truck. Baker Bonnigson realty has pictures on their web site. Would be a nice wood hauler, although it would be crime to acctually use it. Sorry to go of topic.

tractors....

got some tractors down here, as well as a 77-ish IH scout 2 with nissan diesel..4 speed and 4wwheel drive..most durable truck ive ever seen...smokes like a misquito fogger tho..lol...has been modified for a flat bed...its now a semi retired farm truck...she's done her fair share..(also have a spare motor should things really go south..)

all we have are tractors, sold off the old ones recently and bought a brand new case ih...115hp...what a cadillac...

One of dad's best friends was an IH fan and truck mechanic for years (if anybody knows Dave Engasser in the timbersports circuit, it was his father.) He found an IH pickup for himself as a hobby.
His oldest son went to school for agricultural mechanics and went to work for IH right out of school. AFAIK he's still with Case-IH, some kind of regional manager I think.

My dad was a long time fan of the Scout II, had 2 1978's, both had the 304 IH V8, with the Chrysler torqueflite automatic. Very solid gas engines, outlived the bodies which had a terrible rust problem. They had 1 ton springs, bouncy as heck, I think they did that to put the truck into a lower emission class so they could pass EPA. Old school manual hubs, Dana axles. Leaf springs front and back, supposedly gave them an edge over the old Bronco with coil fronts. Did a lot of fishing trips in both of them.

You mean one like this? The truck is 1970 1200 with 304 V-8 and 4 speed manual transmission. I've never seen another make of gasoline truck engine with as much power per cube as the IH has. I've got a few others in that era (D series) too; 1973 1110, 1973 1510, 1971 1210, and a few parts trucks.

Last edited:
I had a 1973 International 1 ton with a 13' flat bed. Man we hauled some big loads on that thing back in the day.:D I'm having to reach back too far to remember for sure, but I think it had the 345 V8. I know it had the 4 speed, and a low differental, that thing would pull the world if you could find a solid place to hook the chain.
I also have fond memories of my old 1967 Scout. 4 cylinder, 3 speed, ALL wheel drive (posi front & rear). 50 mph was top speed, but it would go anywhere.
Anyone remember the old Scout commercials?
International Scout. Anything less, is just a car!:laugh:

Andy

I also have fond memories of my old 1967 Scout. 4 cylinder, 3 speed, ALL wheel drive (posi front & rear). 50 mph was top speed, but it would go anywhere.
Anyone remember the old Scout commercials?
International Scout. Anything less, is just a car!:laugh:

Andy

The 800 series Scouts were quite the step up from the 80 series...they are all great rigs though. Totally utilitarian, and fun rigs to drive. Here's my '64...runs and drives, and the PTO winch works great...hope to get clear through her mechanically this winter and be able to start bodywork by spring.

attachment.php

Thats what learned to drive at a very young age. I couldnt reach the clutch and shift at the same time so Dad would shift for me after i got the clutch in. I think the Pickup was a 1968? We still use a 1970 IHC for an everyday feedtruck. Likes gas though.

We used nothing but red on our farm. I remember driving Loadstar 1700 and 1800 trucks(345 and 392's). 915 gas and diesel combines and 4366, 806, 826 tractors. I just went through the 826 this summer. We also had an IH pickup, but I don't remember what it was. We used it for spraying and it was built like a tank! It was a one ton and seemed pretty old. It had a low range that was very slow.

Got this old H in the back waiting for me to some day get after her.

Hleftside.jpg

As a lad about 50 some years ago my dad worked part time for this big time farmer. He rented feilds all over the county to farm. Some were a bunch of miles away so a tractor would get loaded on to the flat bed of a K5 IH truck. I remember my dad saying the bed was a portable dance floor it was so big. I bet it wasn't over 16 foot, but to a little boy 16 feet is huge.
Today they would probably get pulled over by the law and thrown in jail. They never ever chained a tractor down. Just put it in gear and locked the brakes. In those days people even drove their cars slower and had respect for trucks loaded or unloaded and didn't cut them off.

I still use a 1949 Farmall Super C that as of yet (knocks plenty of wood) had shown no signs of needing a rebuild. The sickle bar mower comes in handy.

...never made chainsaws (that I know of), although they made some dang good trucks!

This thread is slightly off topic...any Binder fans in here? I have a whole fleet in various stages. If you have one, or some, post up some pictures or tell us about them...might be a nice break from the chainsaw banter.

Josh

And just where do you find parts for those things......?:D

Heck, even by the late 70's, it was tough finding parts for my 1970 1/2 ton and my 1971 3/4 ton IH pickups.

My dad had an original Scout from the 60's--it was even slower on the highway than our 1947 Willys CJ2.......:blush:

Casey

I've owned 4 '70s Scout IIs and a '73 Travelall 4X4, those were tough old trucks. If I can find the pics of them I'll post them

I have a 59' IH 560 w/ wide front end, I just got the head back a couple weeks ago. Now I have to split it and go through the motor.

Latest posts

Back