International Harvester...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me in on the International trucks as being some of the best and affordable trucks for the farm and woods work, from the half tons up through the 1600, 1700, 1800 series with 345 cu in gas and I had a 1970, 1800 series 5 speed with ruxel rear. It had a 537 gas engine and in low gear and low ruxel it would pull as hard as our 450 JD crawler. The trans was a New Process and the rear was an Eaton two speed and it is still used every year for wood delivery.
Pioneerguy600

Every morning I fire up a 76 Loadstar 1800 with a 16 foot grainbody turned chipper body. Has 44,000 miles on her. 404 gas engine with a 5 speed and a split rear. I put 20 yards of chips on that truck and the chipper and she goes. The truck is slow as ever but it will pull like a team of 100 mules. It's an old truck but is mechanically rock solid! I ever have bias ply tires on the rear and she hops down the road every morning for a few miles. The truck is actually for sale as we speak. i will cry the day i sell that truck but I need a smaller chipper truck. i cant just hand that Binder over to a 19 year old kid and have him go dump it for me. It isnt a tractor trailer but I feel it takes a little experience to drive safely through town with a full load on.

im a hard workin god fearin combine driver hoggin up the road in my pl pl pl pl plower...clugga lugga lugginn 5 miles an hour in my international harvester!

i can keep goin if theres any country boys out there lol

A buddy of mine used to say they were the toughest truck ever built but...The Homeliest S.O.B. on the road!!!!LOL

I had a '61 160 with the Black Diamond 6 in it.
Slower that a team of oxen, but the word quit wasn't in its vocabulary.

Sweet ride 4P!

Thanks!

And just where do you find parts for those things......?:D

My backyard :) Gotta keep a few around for parts. Cheaper than going to NAPA.

It had a 537 gas engine

How does that do on fuel? :biggrinbounce2:

Every morning I fire up a 76 Loadstar 1800 with a 16 foot grainbody turned chipper body. Has 44,000 miles on her. 404 gas engine with a 5 speed and a split rear.

Don't sell it, keep it and take her out on the big jobs...you won't get much for it, and when she bails you out of a pinch, she'll prove her worth once again!

I'm a sales guy at an International Truck Dealer. Does that count?

Can you still get light-line parts?

I've owned 4 '70s Scout IIs and a '73 Travelall 4X4, those were tough old trucks. If I can find the pics of them I'll post them

Travelalls were the ultimate weekend warrior vehicle. Classy enough for the wife to drive to the store, rugged enough to take into the mountains, and strong enough to pull whatever you asked.

We have 4 IHC 'M' tractors. Only 3 run though. 2 have ensiloaders on them. I'll see if i can remember to get a pic of one today.

Dad has a '56 IH pickup that Grandpa bought new. Dad restored it to use as a repair truck for his shop, painted it back to the original colors (Timber Tan and an ivory of some name...really bad colors IMO), got it in tip-top shape then hit a deer with it about 6 months after getting it back on the road. It's still in decent shape, just has a bent fender. He doesn't drive it much anymore since he got out of the mechanic business, but it still starts right up when he needs to use it for something.

He also has 3 M's that get used on a regular basis, but I don't know the years on those.

speaking of hitting a deer...our scout 2 got hit in the passenger door head on by a run away cow late one night...just a big dent ,window still works fine...she tried to runaway, so we cut her off, but brother on back was shinning one of the 1million candle lights into her face....but they are both fine now...the cow and the truck...not sure about my brohter....

Back