Intertwined trees in Costa Rica.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't done anything yet, just been busy with other stuff.

It seems like my choices are:

1. Set up a camera and domino the three trees and get a really popular video and a fun experience, and a 3 percent chance I'll die.
  2. Do it the boring and slow way with a comealong and have a nearly 0 percent chance of dying.
Hmmmmmm.

;-)

1. Set up a camera and domino the three trees and get a really popular video and a fun experience, and a 3 percent chance I'll die.
  2. Do it the boring and slow way with a comealong and have a nearly 0 percent chance of dying.
Hmmmmmm.

;-)
I'd say the come along method has just as high of a chance of killing you as the domino method, at least from what I can see. How are you planning to get the rope into the tree to tie to the come along? Do you have the appropriate rope? What size come along are you using? What's your plan if you get the come along tied on, cut one tree and it only comes a third of the way down before hanging up so hard that you can't pull it down? I'm a bit confused about the reluctance to hire someone with experience. Why is that more risky than someone with no experience doing it?

Hmmmmmm.

;-)
With that attitude I would bump up both of those percentages considerably.

I'd say the come along method has just as high of a chance of killing you as the domino method, at least from what I can see. How are you planning to get the rope into the tree to tie to the come along? Do you have the appropriate rope? What size come along are you using? What's your plan if you get the come along tied on, cut one tree and it only comes a third of the way down before hanging up so hard that you can't pull it down? I'm a bit confused about the reluctance to hire someone with experience. Why is that more risky than someone with no experience doing it?
There's uneducated experience, and then there's intelligence backed by the educated experience here...I live in the same type of area.

What, exactly, is "uneducated" experience? Sounds like an oxymoron.
People that have done something and never figured out or were taught the best or safest way....due to not having the care to learn, the intelligence to figure it out, and or too much pride to ask. I see tree work all the time that is appalling and I can't understand how they survive.

People that have done something and never figured out or were taught the best or safest way....due to not having the care to learn, the intelligence to figure it out, and or too much pride to ask. I see tree work all the time that is appalling and I can't understand how they survive.
I see. I agree that that sort of thing exists and is common in some areas. I don't think, however, that a person with no experience beyond advice from an internet forum is likely to be able to do a better job than someone who actually does have experience, even if that experience doesn't involve all the latest techniques and gear.

The job we're talking about here isn't difficult (if what we can see in the pictures shows the relevant variables). Any competent tree guy could have those three trees down in less time than it took to drive to the job. They're all leaning the right way, but not leaning real hard, they don't appear to be dead or rotten and the OP has not mentioned that there is anything in the way. I'm certain there are Costa Rican tree guys who have more than enough experience to do a simple takedown like that.

Tree work is very darwinian, and having worked in environments similar to that, if there is a Costa Rican that has been trimming trees all his life I would trust him to do just fine in that situation. Based on his comments, I'm not sure I would trust the OP to mow my lawn.
No need to get mean. I've got about 500 other trees that need felling, so once I've gotten some more experience I'll get to those trickier ones. Felled a single tree about 75 feet tall today. Had a narrow window to get it to land in and got it exactly.

It seems weird to me that you have a forum specifically for homeowners to ask questions, and then you insult the homeowner for asking a question.

I see. I agree that that sort of thing exists and is common in some areas. I don't think, however, that a person with no experience beyond advice from an internet forum is likely to be able to do a better job than someone who actually does have experience, even if that experience doesn't involve all the latest techniques and gear.

The job we're talking about here isn't difficult (if what we can see in the pictures shows the relevant variables). Any competent tree guy could have those three trees down in less time than it took to drive to the job. They're all leaning the right way, but not leaning real hard, they don't appear to be dead or rotten and the OP has not mentioned that there is anything in the way. I'm certain there are Costa Rican tree guys who have more than enough experience to do a simple takedown like that.
There are guys here who would do it, but two reasons not to hire them:
The first I mentioned before, that the attitudes toward safety for workers here is lax. They would have an easier time of it for sure because of their experience, but I'm just not comfortable with the risks that they might take on my property.
The second is that this property is ~25 acres and has hundreds of trees that need to come down. I'll be taking multiple trees down every week for the next five years. Maybe forever, the way stuff grows down here. I need to get comfortable with doing it myself.
Today was a good day. I've taken down a bunch of bushes and some smaller trees, but today I felled one about 75 feet tall and got it to land right where I wanted it to land. So, as they say here... poco a poco. Little by little.

...I know the photos can never really do it.

Those photos looking up are just confusing. Send us some pics from further away.

I see an open path in the grass leading down to the wooden barn/shed. Stand down there and send some wide angle shots. Then a few from a different direction.

No need to get mean. I've got about 500 other trees that need felling, so once I've gotten some more experience I'll get to those trickier ones. Felled a single tree about 75 feet tall today. Had a narrow window to get it to land in and got it exactly.

It seems weird to me that you have a forum specifically for homeowners to ask questions, and then you insult the homeowner for asking a question.
No, you asked a question and didn't like the advice you were given by the pros... big difference. This is not like asking how to change the alternator on an 05 Toyota online.

That might seem odd, but everyone here has their own opinion. I'd agree that the remark seems a bit abusive.

Unfortunately, Arborists, tree workers, & lumberjacks all work in a pretty rough workplace that has little tolerance for foolishness. We tend to be a pretty coarse group, so please try to be tolerant. At least you know you are getting real answers from folks in the business, right?

Now back to the subject at hand: I am wondering why you are claiming there are no experts that will be safe and worthy of learning from. Costa Rica is a pretty big place, and I am certain there are lots of qualified folks down there. A quick search of the country shows there are 10 Stihl dealerships alone, so I know there are people that are capable.

That might seem odd, but everyone here has their own opinion. I'd agree that the remark seems a bit abusive.

Unfortunately, Arborists, tree workers, & lumberjacks all work in a pretty rough workplace that has little tolerance for foolishness. We tend to be a pretty coarse group, so please try to be tolerant. At least you know you are getting real answers from folks in the business, right?

Now back to the subject at hand: I am wondering why you are claiming there are no experts that will be safe and worthy of learning from. Costa Rica is a pretty big place, and I am certain there are lots of qualified folks down there. A quick search of the country shows there are 10 Stihl dealerships alone, so I know there are people that are capable.
P, you're right, and Scott, I apologize if I seemed harsh. My comments might seem harsh and pessimistic at times, but it's just because I care and want to give the best advice possible. Those that have been around here for a while know my story and where I come from, and what happened to me, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Having said that, I remember my mentors words... "Jeff, leave your ego at home, because the trees don't care how badass you think you are, and gravity's a *****..."

I lost 2 good buddies this summer, one pretty good climber and one good logger... and both forgot to respect the trees...

And many years ago, I lost an employee to a really stupid, careless mistake.
And he was quite expert.

So Scott! Do be careful.
There are ways to kill yourself with a chainsaw while cutting trees that you have likely never even heard about, and that isn't counting all the dumb things you may do because you didn't quite realize the risk of a maneuver, or perhaps doing it the smart way seemed so much more difficult.

Latest posts

Back