Introducing Brand New Wood Furnace to Market - The Drolet Tundra!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great Fyre, I really like the furnace as an alternate to the much less advanced Englander 28-3500. I wish you could have made it clean burning enough to be sold in WA.

Once the new EPA is implemented it's likely that if furnaces meet CSA B415 it'll be good to go for WA State as well. We probably have to wait another year or two...

I noticed in the manual, that these furnace's use pumice brick over the conventional firebrick. Over on hearth there's been many threads debating the differences. Why didn't SBI use the heavy brick, was there a performance gain using the lighter brick?

I noticed in the manual, that these furnace's use pumice brick over the conventional firebrick. Over on hearth there's been many threads debating the differences. Why didn't SBI use the heavy brick, was there a performance gain using the lighter brick?

Yes, that was much to do about nothing... the great 2012 brick debate on the other site.

While pumice (ie grey porous) bricks have a slight refractory advantage over heavy duty bricks due to its air pockets, this is negligible due to its thickness in a wood stove. This would be more noticeable in a kiln for example where a lot of material needs to be used. Our own internal studies have shown it doesn't make one whit of difference in the performance and efficiencies of a smaller fire box (stove, furnace). Indeed, EPA doesn't care either way. If it made a big difference they would state the unit had to maintain the same bricks in order to keep its certification as they do with other material & specs.

Since we buy all our bricks from the USA the pumice bricks are less expensive than the heavy duty bricks. And since we wanted to keep the retail cost below a certain point we used pumice instead of Heavy bricks.

However, a lot of MFG imports bricks from China and they dont make pumice bricks over there. They just have the heavy ones. That's why in a big box store heavy bricks are less expensive. We buy next to nothing from China so we pay more than some of the other guys.

Last edited:
That makes sense. There's a few design differences I like over our Caddy, like the larger ashpan and the secondary combustion tubes under the firebox look like they're covered from the incoming cool air from the distribution blower. Maybe it doesn't make a difference. Is there a reason why only 2 outlets can be used instead of 4? Just wondering.

That makes sense. There's a few design differences I like over our Caddy, like the larger ashpan and the secondary combustion tubes under the firebox look like they're covered from the incoming cool air from the distribution blower. Maybe it doesn't make a difference. Is there a reason why only 2 outlets can be used instead of 4? Just wondering.

I havent really checked for difference in the firebox but I dont think there are any, otherwise we would have to re-certify with EPA.

As far as the outlet, it has to do with code... not sure which (UL, construction ...). But we have to follow the rules.

I havent really checked for difference in the firebox but I dont think there are any, otherwise we would have to re-certify with EPA.

As far as the outlet, it has to do with code... not sure which (UL, construction ...). But we have to follow the rules.

The firebox is the same, it's the ashpan that's different (bigger). The ashpan on our furnace goes in-between those 2 channels underneath, where on the Drolet's, the ashpan goes around those channels. My only thought there is a better preheat of secondary air.

The smooth mandrel bent looking ductwork looks swanky.

HighBeam are you a poet? 4 more syllables and you have a iambic octameter... :confused:

Better yet a Haiku...

The smooth mandrel

bent looking ductwork

Looks swanky...

Well not quite but pretty close. You're a poet and you know it!

Next you'll tell us you're a gun control liberal commie who drinks Perrier and wears plaid socks with your Birkenstock. In other words a Canadian!:msp_scared:

Ps. you know I'm kidding right?

Last edited:
HighBeam are you a poet? 4 more syllables and you have a iambic octameter... :confused:

Better yet a Haiku...

The smooth mandrel

bent looking ductwork

Looks swanky...

Well not quite but pretty close. You're a poet and you know it!

Next you'll tell us you're a gun control liberal commie who drinks Perrier and wears plaid socks with your Birkenstock. In other words a Canadian!:msp_scared:

Ps. you know I'm kidding right?

I don't even know what a haiku is. When I went to engineering school, the course layout did not allow for anything that wasn't math or science related. I was kinda ripped off on exposure to many things artsy fartsy but I can tell you lots about sewage and concrete.

Both the Tundra and Heatmax will be available in August/ Sept at various stores/Channels: Menards, Lowes.com, Northern Tools, Family Farm etc...

I'm hoping to announce a promo just for AS user in August. Stay tuned.

its almost august , do you know when they will be available at the menards store in Richmond Indiana ?

its almost august , do you know when they will be available at the menards store in Richmond Indiana ?

I dont have visibility to their inventory and where they ship to.

We just started to ship some units this past week. But before stuff is on the floor I would think more toward the end of August.

I dont have visibility to their inventory and where they ship to.

We just started to ship some units this past week. But before stuff is on the floor I would think more toward the end of August.

Cant wait to get one. Been waiting too long.

I might have missed this but how can the furnace work in a power outage if the air inlet damper has no power???

Also, can you take the sides and top of the air jacket off of the furnace to aid the heat flowing naturally during a power outage just like you can do on the dakas?

Last edited:
I might have missed this but how can the furnace work in a power outage if the air inlet damper has no power???

Also, can you take the sides and top of the air jacket off of the furnace to aid the heat flowing naturally during a power outage just like you can do on the dakas?

In case of power outage the primary air damper shuts down for safety reason. There is still some air flowing to the primary air and air to the the burn tubes is unrestricted. Basically your furnace goes into a slower burn mode.

There should be enough air flowing in the blower box through natural convection to bring some heat. It just wont be flowing very much through the distribution ducting.

You can look at the furnace breakdown diagram here to see what else is possible. DROLET TUNDRA FURNACE | Drolet

Because of the EPA efficient design of the furnace can you burn paper logs/bricks in the Drolet Tundra/HeatMax?

MFG logs are not recommended according to the manual. You may void the warranty if you do.

Some people will burn them anyway. If you must only use logs made of sawdust (no binders or chemicals) and only use one or two at a time.

They are very dry and dense therefore put out more BTU per pounds than split wood logs. If you misuse (use too many) you risk of overfiring and damaging the firebox. Use at your own risk.

Not to keep this thread going, but why can't you use the paper logs in the furnace? Will they damage the secondary burn tubes or something else?

Latest posts

Back