Introducing Brand New Wood Furnace to Market - The Drolet Tundra!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a tee in the back of mine so I clean mine out without taking pipes off. I have a straight up chimney.

I bought the cold air return kit and hooked it up yesterday. I don't understand the point of the other top mounted thermo disc. The temperature in my house actually seemed to drop a few degrees with the new thermo disc. Maybe more evened out and the blower doesn't run as much, but I noticed a huge drop in burn time. It was mild 20s yesterday and I was only getting about 6 hours of burn time before the house temp would drop. This is a big change going from 10-12 hours to only 6 I'm going to go back to the other thermodisc though because I'd rather have the burn time.

I bought the cold air return kit and hooked it up yesterday. I don't understand the point of the other top mounted thermo disc. The temperature in my house actually seemed to drop a few degrees with the new thermo disc. Maybe more evened out and the blower doesn't run as much, but I noticed a huge drop in burn time. It was mild 20s yesterday and I was only getting about 6 hours of burn time before the house temp would drop. This is a big change going from 10-12 hours to only 6 I'm going to go back to the other thermodisc though because I'd rather have the burn time.

Just wondering why the Thermodisc would have anything to do with burn time? Doesn't it only control when the blower goes off and on?

Just wondering why the Thermodisc would have anything to do with burn time? Doesn't it only control when the blower goes off and on?

with the other thermo disc the fire box runs 40 degrees higher so it burns more wood. 200 degrees and a low of 160 on the new disc and the stock one runs 160 degrees and a low of 120

The cold AIr return should do nothing but help I would think
I can actually see the difference in the flame with the two discs. With the stock one when the damper closes there is barely a flame unless I'm getting a secondary burn. With the other disc the flame is much bigger when the damper closes.

So you have the thermodisc controlling your damper? Just had me a little confused as I just bought a Drolet wood stove and ordered the blower kit and thermodisc separately to control it.

with the other thermo disc the fire box runs 40 degrees higher so it burns more wood. 200 degrees and a low of 160 on the new disc and the stock one runs 160 degrees and a low of 120

I can actually see the difference in the flame with the two discs. With the stock one when the damper closes there is barely a flame unless I'm getting a secondary burn. With the other disc the flame is much bigger when the damper closes.
This doesn't make sense. I could see the "heating" time going up or down a bit, but not the actual burn time and the flame size! (unless you are getting the blower air up through the ash plug, but I thought that issue was handled?
+1

This doesn't make sense. I could see the "heating" time going up or down a bit, but not the actual burn time and the flame size! (unless you are getting the blower air up through the ash plug, but I thought that issue was handled?

+1[/quote
higher temp more burn. Not hard to understand. If you'd like a video I can post one.

Higher temp does not necessarily mean less burn time, if anything, there will be heat for longer. That's how it works for me anyways.
The only way you are getting shorter burn time is if there is more air going through the firebox. Now, with that said, it is possible that the higher temps are warming the chimney more, increasing the draft, therefore more air through the firebox. Maybe time for a baro?
But hey, in the end, it's your stove, your house, and you gotta do what's best for you n yours, and if the other switch works better, get 'er done! ;)
I just wonder why they are changing the blower run temp just for adding a cold air return? Just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. I miss having Fyrebug here, he'd have an answer for this question in a heartbeat.

I can see people are confusing the "Fan control snap disk" with the "High Limit snap disk." It gets even more complicated as the cold air return kit comes with a replacement and relocation kit for the "high limit snap disk"

A different high limit snap disk in a different location will absolutely effect burn times, especially if it's hooked to a thermostat. As long as the thermostat is calling for heat, it's the High limit snap disk that is opening and closing the damper.

I can see people are confusing the "Fan control snap disk" with the "High Limit snap disk." It gets even more complicated as the cold air return kit comes with a replacement and relocation kit for the "high limit snap disk"

A different high limit snap disk in a different location will absolutely effect burn times, especially if it's hooked to a thermostat. As long as the thermostat is calling for heat, it's the High limit snap disk that is opening and closing the damper.
Thanks for the info.

I mean the snap disk and shorter burn times
factory snap disc I still have no problems except the blower runs more, other one still the same thing I don't get the burn time. I tried it last night again and same thing about 6 hours only.

Latest posts

Back