Introducing the Stihl MS201TC - MTronic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The testing and results are in. The MS201TC is a fantastic saw out of the box, but the standard carbed MS201T is just a hair stronger/faster. All I can figure is that the MTronic tuning is just a little less than optimal, erring on the side of a littler richer tune. NOT A BAD THING AT ALL!

Two things stood out the most. One, throttle response is lightning quick on the MS201TC right out of the box. It's not bad at all on the MS201T, but definitely not equal. After mods, throttle response is just as good on the MS201T. Two, I'm amazed how much better the MS201T runs stock than they did when they first came out! Even stock, it out performed the MS201TC by a hair. Additionally, I was very surprised to find that the MS201TC actually picked up more with timing advance than the standard carbed model did. I wasn't expecting that at all.

MS201T
Stock

Average 9.44

Muffler Modded
Average 8.24
Gain 12.70%

Timing Advanced
Average 7.9
Gain 4.10%
Total Gain 16.30%

MS201TC
Stock

Average 9.59
Muffler Modded

Average 8.94
Gain 6.80%
Timing Advanced
Average 8.19
Gain 8.40%
Total Gain 14.60%

Difference - A slight edge going to the MS201T in each scenario
Stock 1.60%
Muffler Modded 7.80%
Timing Advanced 3.50%

Very first cuts, not for time

Stock

Bottom line, both are fantastic saws, with just a slight edge going to the standard carbed MS201T. Both saws pick up about 15%. Not a bad gain at all for only a $75 mod, including shipping. I will still be offering these for sale, since they still respond very favorable to these mods.
This one will replace an old 200T on its last legs. He'll be real happy with the mods Brad.

That's a lot of cash for saw that size, especially if you don't climb. From Brad's previous comparisons of top handle saws, and my experience with the brand, I'd likely choose an Echo top handle, and seriously consider one, even if I climbed. You just get more for your money IMHO.

You live only once and it's only $$ :) Echo does have a nice T-Handle saw. Great value.

The lawn is mowed and I'm headed out to get started now.
Nothing like going out to play with new saws after you done all ya chores. lnteresting results, l certainly would have been wrong guessing the outcome after mods. Throttle response is so important on small saws. Do you think they have the same rev limiter coils and have similar max rpm Brad?

Seem like it has a bit more torque than the 201t best of all i like the fact you run a flat cut on all ur vids working at the max load. What are those saws going for stock?

Brad, appreciate the info, but I have a question.

My 362 C got noticeably stronger over the first 5 tanks of fuel.

Did you break the saws in first, or is it possible that some of the gain is due to break in?
My echo did too but it took more than 5 tanks to get it to wind out. At first i had my doubts but i am pleased with my saw now especially in hard wood

Did you break the saws in first, or is it possible that some of the gain is due to break in?
Both saws are brand new. I ran both saws for 5 cuts before beginning testing. They're both equally un-broken-in. All timed cuts were run with the same B&C.

Seem like it has a bit more torque than the 201t best of all i like the fact you run a flat cut on all ur vids working at the max load. What are those saws going for stock?
A flat cut is the only way to do timed cuts. It's consistent and is the fastest way through a log. If anything, the 201T has a hair more torque.

Do you think they have the same rev limiter coils and have similar max rpm Brad?
I noticed no difference in max RPMs, either WOT or in the cut. With only a 5% difference in cut times, RPMs have to be nearly identical in the cut.

In my usage the 201 wouldn't likely be cutting rounds that large unless I get a bucket or start climbing. Throttle response is MUCH more important to me for a light trim saw. I have plenty of larger options for the wood Brad was cutting. When I'm cutting apart a canopy that's 1/2-3/4 of a cord in and of itself, I want the lightest tool possible, with surgical accuracy and control and the balls to get it done. This looks like it. It may eventually get the Snelling-light treatment.

On another note, I wonder what each one ported would be like with the carbed 201t tuned for torque instead of speed.

Latest posts

Back