Introduction and Gear advice.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewArborist

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy. I've been working professionally for about 16 months now with a smaller, one crew company as a ground man. I have been observant and soaked in everything I can. It's time to try and advance my position within the company. If we had a second full time climber we could really ramp up the production on certain jobs we roll up to. I've been hanging around up in the tops of trees as an avid bow hunter for about the last 20 years in various types of stands. Knowing that I won't get up there and freak out, I'm gonna go ahead and drop a few dollars on some gear that will hopefully help the company out, and put a few extra dollars in my pocket in the long run. We have one full time climber and then the Owner climbs when needed. So here is what I have sitting in my WesSpur shopping cart at the moment.:
Tree Climbing Educational Bundle #3: Mega-Bundle containing the following resources
Tree Climber's Companion
Tree Climber's Guide
To Fell a Tree
Working Climber DVD #1
Working Climber DVD #2
Working Climber DVD 3 (part 1 and 2)
WesSpur's Deluxe Rope Climbing Kit
I am in the process of waiting on a response about swapping the treeMOTION harness out for a Buckingham Ergovation Tree Saddle Hopefully the price of the kit won't change too much.
Sigma SRT Attachment (is this something I can get by without?)

I would like to go hog wild and add another grand or so but, being new to this I won't. I think that my boss has an extra set of spurs I can use for the time being. Is this order missing anything that will keep me from being able to jump right in and learn to climb safely and properly? I know I could pick the brains of my co-workers but I would really like to keep this kind of a surprise for the time being. Then one day, show with my gear, have a good understanding of it, and go from there.

About the saddle: There is nothing remotely close to me that I can find, where I could go try on the Ergovation so I'm hoping the Medium will be a good comfortable ride. The Boss and main climber both are much smaller than myself Their saddles would be a bit small to try.

That's a good start for gear. If you don't have one add a helmet to the order. A proper climbing one. I own a treemotion and really like it. You may want to keep it in the order. Either way they are both good saddles. Pruning saw with leg scabbard might be nice. Now I'm just spending your money. Any of those wesspur kits would do fine for a starter.

You may want to talk to your boss or lead climber about this. Make sure they are keen on this idea. I'm sure they will be, but you never know. Plus the boss may help out with the purchase. They may even have some of those books laying around. Open line of communication is always best.

something else to keep in mind is that most of this equipment (at least in oregon, idk about where your at) is tax deductible since its for work :rock: so keep your receipts for taxes. looking at this kit i would just piece my own equipment together. thats just me though. i almost wrote a long ass reply about all the gear but in truth you'll learn what works for you as you gain experience and handle your gear. each guy has his own technique and though mine is diverse, its mine, not yours. so for me to say what is or is not going to work for you would be kinda rude. one such point is that i see no reason to use a rope wrench, but thats my thinking and im sure there are plenty of people who would argue that its a great product. just take it slow, be safe and have fun. :)

Sounds like you are on the right road. What size is your waist? Mine is a 33 and my Egrovation is a medium and fits great.

Thanks for the feedback. A year ago my waist size was a 36. Now I'm a 33 give or take a size depending on how many of those tasty beverages I have to have to wash the saw chips/chipper dust out of my mouth at night. I ordered a medium so it sounds like it should fit well. One thing is for certain you don't need a gym membership doing this type of work. I had to put the mega bundle of educational resources on hold. The bank account took a harder hit over the holidays than I thought. The lead climber lent me a knot book today, (Knots by Gordon Perry). It looks real informative. Order will ship out this evening, with nothing back on order. :rock:

Last edited:
Also since I wasn't able to get the Tree Climbing Educational Bundle #3: Mega-Bundle on this order, I did add the ergovation batten seat (medium). I hope since it sounds like the Medium saddle will be a good fit the medium seat will be too.

Equipment maintenance kept us from working today. I was working around the house thinking how it would be cool if all the gear happened to show up a day early. About that time the UPS truck pulled into the driveway! I was like no way. The driver emerged from the side door with a big old heavy looking box! Let the learning begin!

The boss may put you in a saddle strait away and have you get in the tree with the lead climber to start training, I would, especially if you have proven yourself an excellent employee. If he is already getting good returns on you then there is no reason to not further his investment with gear and more time.

Talk to the climber and boss. Don't mention buying the gear until you see their reaction.

I do admire initiative and ambition, but your timing re. "It's time to try and advance my position within the company" may or may not fit into your boss's time frame. I'd wait for a day where you have slugged your guts out and the boss acknowledges your hard work, as being the opportune time to have a chat about your climbing aspirations.
If he says "OK", awesome. BUT, if his reaction is "no", then what?
I think it is neat you have invested some hard earned mony in pursuing your goal.

If a little frog still has a tail, is it ok to call it a frog, or is it still a tadpole?

Either way its fishin bait! I have the ergovation. Very comfortable, the velcro sticks to everything it touches and get used to the sound of velcro separating while your dangling by the ole coin purse. Best of luck. Dont die.

Yeah - the new climber/arborist will be a happy camper, but who is gonna get to chip the brush? The boss? The experienced climber?
Is the boss gonna want to have the headache of hiring / training a new groundie? He gonna give the new novice climber a raise? Is de boss gonna want to have to spend more time trying to line up more work for his crack team of arborists, while constantly worrying if his newarborist is gonna get himself hurt/killed or add an unwanted skylight to old Mrs Smith's house?

I know a fellow who started small, grew his business to the stage of having 4 or 5 employees, then packing it in and going back to just himself and his girlfriend. It became too much of a drag running around trying to line up enough work to keep everyone busy, and he wasn't getting any wealthier for the headaches.

Latest posts

Back