Introduction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just registered and thought I'd introduce myself. My name's Ian, I'm 38 and I enjoy cutting and splitting firewood. Some folk play golf, I cut firewood for friends. I don't burn wood myself.
Up until yesterday, I was a died-in-the-wool Husqvarna guy. I've owned two 51s, one 53 and a 346XP. None of them gave me a moment's trouble till last week when the 346XP died. The ring siezed and that was the end of that motor. I was partially to blame because I had been playing with the carb and apparently had it a little on the lean side, but unknown to me, the exhaust gasket had blown, and that aggravated the problem.
Anyway, I am now the proud owner of a Stihl MS-361 with an 18" bar and 3/8 .050 RM2 chain. All my other saws ran .325 chain. I'm not real sure I like the switch. I intentionally bought a bigger saw, because the 346 (3.4hp) had trouble with the 20" bar, you really had to baby it thru an 18" log. I figured this one with a full 1hp more under the hood would run an 18" bar like nobody's business but I wonder if the bigger chain is robbing me of some of the power of the larger engine. I was cutting some big Locust today and it bogged down more than I would have liked. I rationalize that since the tree was half dead and so was pretty hard that it'll do better in green wood.
How many of you fellas run Skip Chain? I was thinking of getting a 24" bar for the rare occasion that I need it and using Skip Chain on it. Heck, for that matter, I was thinking of putting Skip chain on the 18er.

Ian

Ian, you are way to knowledgeable to be posting on the homeowner forum. I almost want to call you Gypo, because of your writing style and propensity for trouble making questions.
In case you're not a troll, I'll suggest that you won't save much running skip tooth chain until you're in 30" wood or more.
A 361 is fully capable of pulling 3/8s chain, in fact it craves it.
Although a 361 won't snap a .325 chain from too much power, the .325 just won't last too long with the power demand of a monster like Stihls top homeowner saw.
Get yourself over to the chainsaw forum.

Hmm... that was a good post. Almost insulting, but at the same time informative. Leaves me wondering how to respond ;). I'm no troll I assure you, but what's a gypo? I might very well fit that label depending on what it means. I was looking for a general topic forum to post my intro to, but alas, I found none.

thanks for the hearty "welcome aboard" :),
Ian

A gypo logger is one who works out in the woods by himself logging.
Although I was refering to an infamous poster on arboristsite who had more personality than all the rest of us combined. He was smart, quick witted and had a thing for drunk, ugly women. He also dressed in drag and made sure we saw pictures to prove it. I'm not sure about this, but I think he's the only person that ever ran a fully race modified Stihl 088 fully nude.
Gypo posted here regularly until he started hanging out with some of the bad element. He made up several different accounts and spent hours talking to himself, much to the moderators dismay. After several bannings, he is now gone to another site, Hotsaws dot something, I dunno I can't remember the exact name.
If you want to waste away some hours and learn about chainsaws, search his name here and look at his posts, almost each of which has a picture attached, some are even saw related.
Anyway...I though maybe you were he, returned to stir things up a little.

Hmm.. I do fit some of your Gypo definition, and do have a personality that rubs some folk the wrong way, but that is where the similarities with this other fellow stop. I am fairly safety conscious when running a saw. I wear saw chaps, hard hat w/ built in hearing protection and face shield, leather gloves and steel toe boots 99% of the time. I have also trained myself to engage the chain brake before picking up my feet to walk with a running saw. I'm usually in a t-shirt tho. A buddy of mine tripped when moving among some down branches and came about an inch of needing a trip to the doctor. He grazed his knee enough to get his attention and bloody up a pair of jeans pretty well.

Mods: Plz move this thread to the Chainsaw forum if that is where it belongs.

Ian

Last edited:
Need Help

I am looking to buy Bare Root Japanese Red Maple Trees about 100 of them. We grow thing organic and show kids how things grow. We live on a 40 acre farm and cant find any of these brae rooted trees was hoping someone could please help us.
I am not sure if this is the right place to be asking after reading some terrible thing some of You write back I dont need ridiculed just need help
thank you
Bev

Welcome Bev...

Good luck, a bit too far away to be any help here...

Really you need to start a "new thread" in this same "Homeowner Helper Forum" not reply to an already running thread on firewood cutting...

Hope you don't take that as ridicule...

All the best...

I was away awhile but was wondering what happened to old Gypo. He had the best pictures on the site.
Anyways, welcome to AS

Back