Invaded Hemlock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnVander

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I found this cavity in a Hemlock at my folks place, the tree is about 90' tall, and there seems to be a bit of duff in the bottom of the cavity. It's obvious that the tree has bugs, but how do you deal with them? The tree seems to be in good shape other wise.

John, I dunno what it is. Looks fungal though, I'll bet the bugs are secondary. Maybe an infected mechanical injury or ? When you say duff are you talking about frass(sawdustlike bug poop), or rotten wood? Any shrooms or conks nearby? Have you tapped it with a rubber mallet, or tried digging out the decay to determine how hollow it is? Dead or thinning branches in the upper canopy? Butt swell? I've done a few trees lately that looked similar on the outside, but only had a couple inches of holding wood. A couple maples with Ganoderma and a Doug-fir with Phaeolus shwienitzii. Your extension agent might be able to help, or pass a sample and pics up the line.

Frass! That was the word I was looking for, yes there is frass. No fungi though, the the canopy looks good as well. I'll do some investigation around the root crown and the cavity.

Thanks
John

Back