Invasive ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like Russian Olive to me. We have tons of it. The root ball pops out of the ground easily when I push it over with the bucket on my tractor. The best time to remove it (using my method) is before it is leafed out and the ground is not frozen.

Looks like Russian Olive to me. We have tons of it. The root ball pops out of the ground easily when I push it over with the bucket on my tractor. The best time to remove it (using my method) is before it is leafed out and the ground is not frozen.

Thanks, I assume you refer to tree one? Here is this second photo for tree three :

View attachment 288680

I am pretty sure tree two is common buckthorn but tree three has me stumped. It has taken over close to 5 acres in just a few years. I am thinking it could also be buckthorn but looks different in a deep woods environment??

Another vote for Buckthorn. Hard to kill. Pull it if you can otherwise Roundup mixed with diesel will kill the stumps after you cut it.

roundup w/ water. Every time you see it beginning to make new leaves. That's how I treat honey locust here in OK. It can take from one year for the small clumps, and up to three years for those up the 6'/10' high.

They do not call it buck THORN for nothing. Can't see any thorns in pics. spreads very fast as it send out suckers. Locust is another that spreads quickly. Sumac spreads quickly but tends to colonize in stands together and shades out everything else. Locust get long bean pods in fall, Sumac turns red in fall, Buckthorn gets small blue/ red berries that stain the ####ens out of everything. Birds feed on them spreading seeds all over. Russian Olive gets thorns also but doesn't really spread out fast. Sumac tends to stay more like shrub.

Thanks, I assume you refer to tree one? Here is this second photo for tree three :

View attachment 288680

I am pretty sure tree two is common buckthorn but tree three has me stumped. It has taken over close to 5 acres in just a few years. I am thinking it could also be buckthorn but looks different in a deep woods environment??

That looks like the Tree of Heaven I have in the pile out back?? Yellow wood, and that gray bark...

The guy I got mine from said the lot full of it hadn't been a cleared pasture for around 20 years, some of that wood was approaching 24 inches across. It grows like a weed and is extremely hard to kill from what I understand. All of the trees I had been given had been girdled previously...he indicated that caused them not to seed the following year, then they cut them.

Last edited:
Same area and I see exactly the same stuff.

I just cleared a bunch of it to make more room for the wood stacks!

Pulls out very easy with tractor, not so much by hand.

+1 russian olive on #1

To me, #3 looks like invasive bush honeysuckle.

I have no idea on #2, but I also am unfamiliar with buckthorn.

First one is most likely Autumn Olive.

Close relative to Russian Olive, but there's a lot more Autumn Olive in New England then the Russian variety.

The second shrubs bark looks like alder family. Look for catkins on the branches for positive ID.If it was buckthorn the thorns would give it away.
I bet Tag alder (speckled alder)

We are fighting Japanese honeysuckle and we are loosing! Birds love it but nothing else seems to want anything to do with it. We have been pushing it out with bucket and. Burning it. We haven't had it come back where we pushed it out but we have it everywhere.

Pics 1 and 2 look like something from the Olive family, 3 and 4 look like buckthorn. Not sure on the last one, any more pics?

Back