Iron & Oak PTO Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhopkins55

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Took delivery of a 20-ton Iron & Oak PTO log splitter this weekend for use behind my John Deere 3032E. Great piece of equipment. The three point hitch took about 2 minutes to attach. Way too easy. Fired up the tractor, drove it and the now attached log splitter out to my already cut pile and started splitting away. Effortless would be the right word. I put in a piece of 14 inch diameter oak and it plowed through as if it was a twig. About a seven second cycle time both extend and retract, so not too bad. I think I'm going to enjoy this addition.:hmm3grin2orange::rock:

well like the guys always tell me... pictures or it didnt happen:msp_thumbup:

BTW congrats on the purchase

i would like to see some pictures of your set up. i just got a timber wolf 3 point splitter as well.

To the guys that have these, any of you have a 6 way for it? If so, what are your thoughts?

i have a 4 way on my timberwolf 3hd and i love love it. the wood that i split is 14" to 18" most of the time so the 4 way is all i need. they do make a 6 and 8 way wedge for mine. there are picture of it in the log splitter picture thread.

Pictures! Yes! I was just at my U.P. of Michigan house this weekend and took some pics of my set up before getting to work. For those of you noticing the cinder blocks underneath, the splitter works just fine without them, but all those physics classes I took told me to put a support (with a piece of scrap lumber between the splitter rail and the cinder blocks) underneath just because. System works great! Now all I have to do is figure out how to override or cut out my seat safety, so I can run the PTO without having to put three 40# bags of coal on the seat to simulate the weight of an operator!! :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Cut off switch

Your cut off switch is easy to by pass. I see you use a princess pump on your power take off. I run my tractor on idle. And it runs faster than me. I use my three point in the yard to leave the mess out there. Then my electric inside.

I run my tractor on idle. And it runs faster than me.

That is my one disappointment, having to run the tractor at 1500 rpm to get decent cycle times with the Timberwolf TW3HD. Otherwise I love the splitter. I know 1500 isn't going to wear anything out but it still seems like more than I need.

Are you doing anything special to be able to run at idle?

At first I thought I wanted a 6 way but I think the 4 way is plenty. What would be nice is the hydraulic lift for the wedge to move the wedge up to clear pieces that aren't big enough to need the 4 way. I get a lot of kindling when splitting 6-8" rounds.

Ken

i have a 4 way on my timberwolf 3hd and i love love it. the wood that i split is 14" to 18" most of the time so the 4 way is all i need. they do make a 6 and 8 way wedge for mine. there are picture of it in the log splitter picture thread.

I contacted Timberwolf yesterday about an 8 way wedge and they said they don't make one on their tractor set ups.

Asking

That is my one disappointment, having to run the tractor at 1500 rpm to get decent cycle times with the Timberwolf TW3HD. Otherwise I love the splitter. I know 1500 isn't going to wear anything out but it still seems like more than I need.

Are you doing anything special to be able to run at idle?

At first I thought I wanted a 6 way but I think the 4 way is plenty. What would be nice is the hydraulic lift for the wedge to move the wedge up to clear pieces that aren't big enough to need the 4 way. I get a lot of kindling when splitting 6-8" rounds.

Ken[ I don't know what speed you expect out of your split. My time after the fluid gets warmed up about 12 seconds a complete cycle. that is all the speed I need and at that speed it will split knots. Your splitter might be set to low. I set mine up made a lot of defferents. Later Ken all that kindling you get bag it and sell it.

Last edited:
Back