is a 2000lb winch good for anything?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
hey guys as the title states is a 2000lb winch actually good for anything? im very ignorant when it comes to winches. i really dont know anything about them at all. only reason i ask is harbor freight has a coupon for a 2000lber for 50 bucks. might be a good entry level one lol. dont beat me too bad here :)

Not much but does work. I have a 8500 and a 3500 Warn.
The 3500 does work but not like a 8500. It all depends on what you want to pull but it will pull small items

Bought one and mounted it on my fourwheeler not a bad unit for $50. For ten bucks more you can get two year free replacement. Friend picked one up we mounted it on front of his garden tractor to lift his blower.Best investment he's made has'nt snowed yet this winter.

thats the avg capacity for winches mounted on quads for self extraction , a known brand name ie;warn/superwinch might be of a better quality,if you plan on working it continuously jmo

thats the avg capacity for winches mounted on quads for self extraction , a known brand name ie;warn/superwinch might be of a better quality,if you plan on working it continuously jmo

the new badlands winches,,were designed,,by a enguuuner that hf hired away from warn...they guarentee the quality......says much about the winch. this was spoke of,,in one of the 4x4 rags i get..also,,for double the power, run it thru a snatch block...

Last edited:
I put one of those HF cheeps on my scrap hauling trailer, it has pulled everything up the ramps that I needed it too, from old heavy freezers to an S-10 pickup. I put a roller hook on it so if I need to quickly double the capacity I just run a chain as an anchor point and pull away. The only weakness I found was the wiring, I tossed that and feed it off of a modified set of jumper cables.

winch

we had one that we mounted on the back door of our selfmade enclosed trailer for the race truck.Door was heavy for two guys to lift up and close.put the winch in the middle and ran it for several years and sold the trailer and its still going.Ran it every week,never a problem

I put one on the back of my tow behind stump grinder so I can winch it around yards I can't get the truck or tractor in, no problems. Actually I think mine was 3000 lb, but still an HF special, Joe.

Probably a good time to mention winch safety, stay out of the whip area in case cable breaks and don't get behind or under anything held up by one and my favorite tip, keep an old towel to tie around your rigging, it will slow down the whip enough to let you live but it will still hurt...wear leather gloves around cable too!

Got a couple of them, made a little crane that swivels that bolts to the flatbed on my truck will pick up just about anything I need it too. Just bought another one a couple weeks ago, going to weld it to my head ache rack to pull stuff up the ramps, as my truck has a dump bed, it should would great for that. I see an outfitter in Colorado use one that way to pull elk killed by clients up a couple of ramps to the back of a flatbed had it attached to the headache rack. Imho they are a good value if you use them within their capacity.

I used mine to skid a few logs out of a soupy area. Worked fairly well, and sure beat the pants offa bucking them while standing in mud.

April2010033.jpg

April2010031.jpg

Use one in my wood trailer to skid logs.

I have a saw mill at home and am now loading full size logs to take back. I bought a 2000lb winch and mounted it in the bed of my M105 trailer and it works for loading 8-10ft logs 16-18" (checked the last batch, nothing bigger than 18") diameter just fine as long as I double the cable. Direct pull (without a snatchblock) does not have the power to skid the bigger logs up the ramp. Good investment for the price. Pickup a roller fairlead or be sure to use a cable guide on it.

Last edited:
Before you buy any of these small portable winches, check out the retrieval speed on them. I picked up a 2K winch at a garage sale and it is so slow that you have to start pulling early in the morning if you want to get done by supper time. But having said that, it does get the job done and a low cost.
I also picked up a different brand winch for the boom type log lift on my splitter that is much faster.

Before you buy any of these small portable winches, check out the retrieval speed on them. I picked up a 2K winch at a garage sale and it is so slow that you have to start pulling early in the morning if you want to get done by supper time. But having said that, it does get the job done and a low cost.
I also picked up a different brand winch for the boom type log lift on my splitter that is much faster.

Do you remember the name for the faster winch?

Latest posts

Back