Is a bar nose sprocket needed for milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_andersen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just bought a 41" Stihl bar for my 084. I paid 201 US dollars for it, expensive stuff here in Sweden. To my grief I now see that it does not have a sprocket tip. I will use this for milling and my opinion is that for milling one should definitely use a bar with a sprocket tip. It's a hazzle to get a new bar (ordering and long drive) so I just want to check whether you all agree to this?

Regards
Tom

a hard nose bar will work, just keep your oiler cranked all the way up since this will have more drag. a sprocket nose is better but not mandatory. you may want to also use an aux oiler setup from grandberg (alaskan mill maker) or even make one yourself out of an old small engine fuel tank, some hardware store hose and fittings.

Not sure

but you would be able to get a couple of more inches of width with the Alaskan mill as would not have to clear the sprocket when clamping the end bar support of the mill on the saw.

Like the others have said - absolutely get an aux oiler.. You also need to be very aware of chain tension - too much and you'll overheat the chain/bar very easily.

Personally, I would not mill with a long solid nose. I don't even like using them for "ordinary" cutting. If there is any way to take it back, even if you don't get all your money back, I would... You'll be much happier with a sprocket tip.

Andy, you seem to have good access to Stihl catalogues. Could you possibly give me type and part number of a 41" Stihl bar with tip sprocket? The guys at the local Stihl shop here seem pretty incompetent.
Thanks and regards
Tom

I have both.

My 72"er is hard nose. I took some practice to get it to the proper tension but it isn't hard. Aux. oil IS required.

My 41" is sprocket nose. I can get by without the oil but I usually use it anyway.

That bar length (41) is, in my opinion, at the breaking point where you can use it without aux. oil IF it's a sprocket. If you don't want to hassle with oil, I would recomend returning it.

BTW, sprockets are usually cheaper, mine cost me $103+tax. Hard would have been $150.

fishhuntcutwood said:
It's late here, Andy's already gone to bed....

I see a 42" Rollomatic available for the 084 bar mount. .404"/.063/123 DL. P/N 3002-000-9757

Jeff

That part number is available and lists for $92.96 in the NW. It's 41 inch though, not 42...

The solid nose version is not even listed in the dealer support manual anymore. It is available by special order though, and at a high price.

fishhuntcutwood said:
Must be like that 24"/25" Stihl ES. The B&C manual I have lists 42"s. I was wondering about that last night when I posted it.

yes... must be on the half inch; one year they round and the next round down!

The one I bought with hard nose has number 3002 000 8058 and is 41". Why would a bar with hard nose be more expensive than with a tip sprocket?:dizzy:

t_andersen said:
The one I bought with hard nose has number 3002 000 8058 and is 41". Why would a bar with hard nose be more expensive than with a tip sprocket?:dizzy:

Because of very low production volumes.

The dealer will get another bar for me with a sprocket tip and swap it with the solid nose bar. They say that the price is almost the same. Surprise, surprise :)

Back