is a tooth sprocket or rim sprocket better?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaaccarlson

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I want to upgrade to an 8 tooth/pin and would like some opinions. Which lasts longer, clogs up less, etc....?

Not sure what you have, or what you're trying to accomplish, but I'll attempt a generic answer. Rim sprocket vs. the tooth sprocket: Rim. Because they're very inexpensive and easy to change. You mentioned upgrading to an 8, which tells me you're running a 7 now. I carry both and change them depending on what I'm doing. For 25" bars in 15-20 inch wood, I'll run an 8. The higher chain speed increases cutting speed, and really throws the chips (I dig that....) For 28" or larger bars I drop to a 7. The bigger saws will pull an 8 ok, but it just seems like it makes them too sensetive to bogging and it seems like it's really hard on the clutch. Gains in speed are hard to detect on the longer bars. I cut mostly hardwood, though. If you're cutting any soft, you may be able to use an 8 on larger bars.

So just grab a few of each, toss them in your tool bag. Then you can change as your needs change.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Agree with ckliff - put this in Chainsaw and you'll get more answers than you can imagine.

I can tell the difference between saws I have with rims and the ones yet to be changed to rim sprockets. I'd definitely go with the rim setup as soon as the spur is worn out , or sooner.

Less HP is lost in the chain as it rolls over the rim as opposed to sliding over the spur. It is like having xtra cc's when the cutters hit the wood.

Because the chain rolls over the rim it feels smoother in the cut. Less fatigue at the end of the day.

Because the chain is running smoother the roller tip life has increased. Less money on replacement rollers and tips.

My chains stretch less using rims than they do with spurs. I've broke a few chains before I switched. I havent had that problem now.

I haven't noticed a difference in chip clearance behind the cover, neither gives me any problem.

For me , rims seem to last longer than spurs. The chain rides on the rim so there is less wear on the drive links.

Spare rims are easier to keep around than spare spurs. I can keep an assortment of several different rims in the same space as one spur sprocket.

The cost difference between spurs and rims will pay for itself the 1st time you replace rims vs. spurs. That $10 or $12+ dollar difference each time adds up. Multiply that by 3-4 saws running and it adds up quick.

I just don't see a down-side to using rims for firewood.

Back