Is all 2 cycle mixing oil created equal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffreyZirkle

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, I generally use Stihl brand and I am thinking about running Jonsered oil in my gas. But I was wondering what you guys think of mixing oil in a nut shell.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

It's definitely not all created equal. I don't like the stihl oil myself. I ran the silver bottle for a few years, but the smell started to get to me. Any good quality dino or synthetic oil should be fine for saws and other power equipment though.

It's definitely not all created equal. I don't like the stihl oil myself. I ran the silver bottle for a few years, but the smell started to get to me. Any good quality dino or synthetic oil should be fine for saws and other power equipment though.
Stihl oil tastes ok to me.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

I worked for a tree service for years that just ran the cheapo echo oil mix. They ran the hell out of those saws for years and never had a cylinder problem. I run the stihl ultra for the extra insurance.

Does yellow look the same to your brain as it does mine? I dont know but i dont like mayonaise. The smell factor while burning is different for every person.. the wrong mix can cause nausea. My opinion is a drop in the bucket. The echo oil mix smells like race fuel to me, very nice.

Look around here for 2 stroke oil mix threads. Its a thing

My Mechanic was told somewhere around 2008 by a rep that the Johnsred oil comes out of the same batch as Husqvarna XP semi synthetic here anyway. So I would pick it up too. Stihl (Castrol oil)
& Castrol. All I've ever used by choice.
Most of the chainsaw own brand oils are put out to oil blenders for tender so likely any saw brands owned by the same company would be the same blend but with a different label on the container If you can source it in the US give IPONE Samurai with the ( Fraise Strawberry Aroma )a whirl it's excellent 100% synth & here (France reasonably priced) Motul 710 smells of banana's.

Not to hijack the thread... Is this stuff OK to run in a saw?

It's $4/qt.

This is what I have been running. It comes out to almost $15/qt. ($7 and change for 16oz)
733704540076.jpg

I always add some stabilizer and carb/fuel injector cleaner to my mix too.

Since I switched to husqvarna full synthetic ( after buying a new 372), I have yet to gum up a carburetor on any of my two cycle equipment . That’s been about 5 years. My big saws sit months between uses sometime. In the past, I’d get two years without Carb issues. I have spare carbs that have been sitting in the cabinet forever. I have a two cycle tiller that gets cranked once a year. Even that thing never gums up.
I’d like to believe it’s equally well at lubricating as it is holding its consistently.

Oil is blended to a specification...

API- TC for air cooled applications.

JASO- FC is the Japanese standard that is similar to API-TC

Racing oils are usually dirtyer, but protect better... If you have ever run bean oil you know dirty... Dirty oils won't pass the specification... But you also tear down race engines afterall.

An oil suitable for a high output racing snowmobile is far different to a low output commercial engine chainsaw. Confusing the different application may lead to a poor oil choice for your needs. If you insist on using synthetics & like Amsoil, their 'Saber' 2T oil would be a better choice for use in handheld 2T equipment.

Not to hijack the thread... Is this stuff OK to run in a saw?

It's $4/qt.

This is what I have been running. It comes out to almost $15/qt. ($7 and change for 16oz)
733704540076.jpg

I always add some stabilizer and carb/fuel injector cleaner to my mix too.
Why do you add Stabilizer?It says on the container it already contains it, also bit pricey for a non rated product unless it has a rating on the other side of the container.

What always amazes me is the number of folk that run AIR COOLED kit on mix oils blended for liquid cooled motors & race engines with power valves, run at ratio's so minute they are almost straight gassed They spend XXXXX$ on a saw then begrudge spending a extra 10/20 cents on a portion of the fuel mix that will keep the saw wearing less & keeping all the bits going for a longer time.

Latest posts

Back