Is "Bar-Oil" made for *Suckers* ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We should have all listened to your first post here since the intelligant people here use bar oil.

I suggest that Hunky try a mixture of 21% White Lightning chainlube, 12% 90wt Gear lube, 60% Varsol, 3% Type F Transmission fluid and 4% Female Yak Urine and turn the oiler to minimum output.

Gary, Dexron/Mercon IS better tranny fluid but the two types differ in pH. Type F will work best with the Yak Urine.

The MSDS equivalent from Europe shows Aspen to be largely Naptha - up to 100%.

check this: http://www.aspen.se/Files/PDF/sakerhetsdatablad/ovriga/UK-2T.pdf

attachment.php

Thanks for all that info.......:)

Not even close here, but the relationship may be different in North America - regular fuel is 95 octane here, and premium is 98, buth unleaded.

From the web, so it must be true... and I feel sure Ben wlll tell me if it's not;)

There are 2 values measured in the USA which are, Research Octane Number (RON) and Motor Octane Number (MON). The value posted on the pump (by law) is the Anti Knock Index (AKI), AKI is (RON + MON)/2
In Europe, they only report the RON so 98 (Europe) is equivalent to 93 (USA)octane.

I still am not buying that Aspen is any better for the environment or user than regular no lead gas. It has a CAS# for a reason..

Hi,

the reason why Aspen would be any better is that it does not contain any of the more harmful petroleum products (benzol springs to mind here). Many of the "missing" components that regular fuel contains are highly carcinogenic (again Benzol and Co.) or are much more unhealthy, in various ways, than any Alkylate fuel mix.

The big problem though is that Alkylate fuel is rather expensive...

Bye

the reason why Aspen would be any better is that it does not contain any of the more harmful petroleum products (benzol springs to mind here). Many of the "missing" components that regular fuel contains are highly carcinogenic (again Benzol and Co.) or are much more unhealthy, in various ways, than any Alkylate fuel mix.
In the US the EPA regulates/limits the amount of Benzene and other aromatics in gasoline. Modern gas has very little to no benzene in it.

You European guys are just too hung up on what happens after you're dead. I think I'll live my life based on what is most convenient for me while I'm here and alive, not what is most convenient for whoever 200 or 2000 years from now. So the ocean levels rise, so what... maybe they'll be able to farm the Sahara and give camels something different to snack on.

Ian

Also, Aspen is produced from "waste"-vapors from other parts of the processing. Low "cost" on limited supplies (dino oil) is environmental friendlyness.

Where do you get that information from? There is nothing "waste" about the hydrocarbons Aspen is made from - if they aren't used for your product, they are used for another. Not sure what you mean by "low cost" either..

Where do you get that information from? There is nothing "waste" about the hydrocarbons Aspen is made from - if they aren't used for your product, they are used for another. Not sure what you mean by "low cost" either..

From the Aspen web site on how the fuel is produced. Now, I'm on thin ice, I admit that, cause I really don't know nothing about petrol or chemicals. But the statement is (I might also add translation errors here) that the fuel is produced from collecting and process the exceed vapors originating from the process of refining the raw oil and from the cracking processing which to my knowledge is the process where most of the gas comes from nowadays. Those vapors are waste in the meaning that there are no other use for them and that they would have to be disposed of, if they were not used for the alkylate fuel.

Click on the Union Jack on this page ("Contents 1") to get an brief in English and maybe more correct terms on how it's done.

...Modern gas has very little to no benzene in it.

Hi,

I think petrol here has up to 1% benzol in as well as various aromatics depending upon the season.

I have tried some 25 liters of Aspen and it did make a difference to the saw (the piston and cylinder stay squeeky clean in a new saw) and the headaches I otherwise got when cutting in dense woods with no wind blowing didn't occur at all with Aspen.

Anyway the extremely high price meant I went back to using ordinary 95 octan pump fuel. If I had the money to spare though I would go back to Aspen straight away. As far as I know all companies here have to use Alkylate fuel for health reasons, luckily the operators don't have to buy it themselves.

Bye

. Those vapors are waste in the meaning that there are no other use for them and that they would have to be disposed of, if they were not used for the alkylate fuel.
In a refinery there is no waste to speak of. Every bit of a barrel of oil is used for something. Be it gasoline, lubricants, asphalt, or propane.
Aspen is made by running napthas through a alkylation unit. The same process that is used to make 100LL avgas in the states.

Last edited:
WOW:

How about possibly using some type of bar that is made out of a hard nylon or something? (kind of like those super hard nylon dog chews).

I bought a Stihl saw for my two year old daughter and I believe that it has got a nylon bar. She has been running that saw without bar oil and has not gone through one chain, bar, or sprocket!

Latest posts

Back