is cub cadet any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a Stihl FS90 R for $279.

Best Trimmer I have ever owned. There is a lot of trim head options and steel blade options as well. I got the double shoulder harness, balanced the trimmer, and it is a pleasure to use.

Fast cutting with plenty of power.

Starts on one pull most of the time. I have an Echo curved shaft trimmer and the curved shaft does not suit me at all.

im finally gonna get a strimmer. i went to tsc for the hell of it and they had husky ones for 199 andf a couple cub cadey ones. i think the lowest priced one was 105. i know virtually nothing about strimmers. im not gonna bloe 400 on one thats for sure. id just like one thats gonna still work well a few years from now.

The Cub Cadet trimmers that I am familiar with were made by Efco and decent machines. Not the fastest, lightest, or most powerful out there but they seem to hold up good. The ones I am familiar with were straight shafts and priced in there with most the other mid grade machines.

If I had to buy one new and wanted a light machine under $200.00 it would be a Robin, but only if a servicing dealer was near, I do not want to mail order parts.

After that Shindaiwa, RedMax, maybe than an Echo, depending on dealers and pricing. Might be different now with HusqMax.

I just bought a Stihl FS90 R for $279.

Best Trimmer I have ever owned. There is a lot of trim head options and steel blade options as well. I got the double shoulder harness, balanced the trimmer, and it is a pleasure to use.

Fast cutting with plenty of power.

Starts on one pull most of the time. I have an Echo curved shaft trimmer and the curved shaft does not suit me at all.

I Agree a great trimmer the best I've use

thanks guys, i kinda figured cub cadet sold out too like everyone else has. im gonna look into echo, stihl, and husky. is the curved shaft the way to go?

strait shaft is easier on the back.. I have a FS56 you can try out if you want, depending on where you are...I have put 4 tanks thru it and it keeps getting stronger...

If you have a Shindaiwa dealer around, check out the 222 series trimmers. Excellent machines.

I have the straight shaft Husqvarna that will handle a small blade as well as the trimmer head, had it for years and love it. At the time I bought it I think it was just over $300. ..... maybe $325. Thing is, if you take care of one this size you may never need another one.

I'm sure the CC trimmers are just yellow MTD's with some minor upgrades. MTD bought CC in about 2004 and now is MTD's premium brand. I assume this is just for homeowners use and not for work. Do you want a saw blade option?
CC never made a string trimmer prior to MTD buying their name that I'm aware of.
We trim around the 3 1/2 acres we mow weekly probably 500 linear feet with a 5 year old ryobi and a 15 year old weedeater both running .090" string. The weedeater was on its last leg 5 years ago and I bought the ryobi. Then shortly after that I was hanging out at a flea-market with friends and found a weedeater leaf blower with the exact same engine so for $20 we refurb'd the weedeater and now run both. Both were less than $125 when bough new.
I'd look at the low end Echos

MTD buys CC more like 1984 not 2004

Scott

just as with CS, you have to know how you will be using the tool. i have a 12 year old FS 85. i have had to change the coil and primer bulb, but it runs great and has plenty of power. i would probably go back with a comparable model bc i have a good stihl dealer. Stihl, Husky, Echo, Shindaiwa, Redmax, Maruyama, and Robin all make good trimmers. pick a mid-range, straight-shaft model from any of these and you will likely have all of the trimmer you need, and have one that will last you many years.

From what I have seen all quality has gone down considerably in the MTD line. The CC trimmers look a lot like my old Ryobis and very similar to the Bolens brand.

A blade on a hollow drive shaft trimmer is in itself an experience. Especially if it is not balanced well. JMO.

I have had a couple of Ryobis and never had a problem. Both of mine were several years old. I had an Echo that is a good machine, just very difficult to start.

I have a new Shindaiwa T242 now. I actually bought it on Egay for half price new with warranty. They even have a $20 rebate on them now. I have always been told that Stihl or Shindaiwa are the best. But, Echo, Kawasaki, Maruyama, Higher Dollar Huskies, Red Max (Who is owned by Husky), or Tanaka are all great machines.

Baileys has the Tanakas on sale. My local Redmax dealer has a good rprice on the small Red Max. Not as good as I found on the Shinny though!

I went to Gano's which carry both Stihl or Shindaiwa three years ago, was on my way home at the time. If I was just getting a weedwacker I would have walked out with a Shindaiwa. Ended up with the Stihl Combi system, K55 head, with a couple of the better attachments. Figured if I ever blew the motor still have several quality attachments, and would just need a new head (probably an upgrade). I only have a couple small accounts to care for. No complaints and have had the itch to get more attachments, and need to get more wright-offs.

If your looking for a wright-off. Get what your heart desires.

Since your not looking to spend much (according to your post), check with some local shops on used ones. I don't know where your located but can recommend a little shop that may have some left.

Well my 2004 Cub GT3235 is pretty well built. Nice cast iron tranny, heavy duty frame, shaft driven deck and tranny and more grease fittings than you would believe. I think cubs 2500 series up is very well built. I'd stay away from lawn tractors especially the ones at the box stores and that goes for John deere as well.

It's not just the engine

From experience some of the cheap trimmers are a royal pita to respool. My Husky's about as easy to refill as they come.

I really like the Husky Tap and Go style head much better than Stihl's. The Stihl trimmer I had was their low end model, around $140 when I bought it 5 years ago. Nothing but trouble, finally when it was out of warranty and they wanted $80 to put a new carb on it I told them to put it their dumpster.

That said, I'm more than confident the mid and upper range Stihls are good machines, but more than likely outside the $ range you want to spend.

I bought my Husky 223L about 3 years ago and it's been trouble free. I got mine as a Husky demo unit. Local dealer that has tractors, (you know the guys) had a bunch of them for sale. Demo stuff does pop up there from time to time. Hey it's a local call.

Home Cheapo has Echos. They're excellent machines but even at HD I imagine they're still not inexpensive.

Knowing where you are and the size of the lawn, how about an electric and long extension cord? Your wife won't be able to say she couldn't get it started. (Oh I didn't really say that did I)

Take Care

I have had a hand me down echo that a landscaper used as his primary machine. I have used it for around 8 years. I believe it is the 2100 straight shaft model. I use it constantly with a pro style head and it never misses a beat.

Good luck,

Matt

No problems with two Cub Cadet tractors I own. I had a Cub trimmer, and it broke after 5 hours of use. Clutch kept slipping before it finally broke loose.Junk.
Didn't like it even when it was working, it came as a freebie for buying a 3100 Cub tractor.

I now have a Stihl FS55 straight shaft trimmer, great machine. Lots of hours on it, no problems.

MTD buys CC more like 1984 not 2004

Scott

Pretty close Scott; it was 1981.

The cheap CC trimmers are JUNK, and you should stay away from them. Most Cub dealers don't even sell them, don't have parts, and don't want to work on them. Also, they are not made by Efco. Just because Efco makes the saws is no reason to assume that they are doing the trimmers.

If you want to get a trimmer that you are going to be very happy with, and at the same time take yourself out of the trimmer market for the next 20 years or more, (because it's that good), then get yourself a Red Max TR2301. Best trimmer on the planet. :cheers:

Back