Is Emerald Ash Borer Flooding the firewood market?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I don't sell much firewood anymore, i don't have the time. I do cut enough to heat my dads and my own house. But was wondering if anyone was having a issue with too much firewood for sale in your area bringing the price down?

Im in Ontario Canada. I manage to sell 15 -20 cords a year....for about 60 -70 bucks a cord. Not really worth it but gotta do something to get rid of the dead ash around my property. Alot of towns and cities in my area are cutting them down into somewhat managable lengths and leaving it at the side of the roads for people to pick up and cut/split on their own

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I have some big dead Ash trees in our woods. I was thinking of having some of it cut into lumber. my 16 foot trailer needs a new deck. Is the lumber good for construction? or is it too hard to drive a nail into? I would like to build a shed with some if possible.

Im in Ontario Canada. I manage to sell 15 -20 cords a year....for about 60 -70 bucks a cord. Not really worth it but gotta do something to get rid of the dead ash around my property. Alot of towns and cities in my area are cutting them down into somewhat managable lengths and leaving it at the side of the roads for people to pick up and cut/split on their own

Im west of you. Iv been cutting and selling for the last 5 years and it dont even look like i made a dent in the woodlot i cut in.
Probly take about 25 face cord a year out.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

I have some big dead Ash trees in our woods. I was thinking of having some of it cut into lumber. my 16 foot trailer needs a new deck. Is the lumber good for construction? or is it too hard to drive a nail into? I would like to build a shed with some if possible.
Ya got to pree drill befor nail or screws.
Its prety hard stuff.
My trailer needs a new deck too and also gonna be building another in spring that will need lumber for a deck. Thinking of using soft maple. That ash would take forever with a chainsaw mill.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

I've milled White Ash and it's not as bad as White Oak or Hickory.

My Dad bought a brand new 72 Chevy 12' stake body. Side and Floor boards were some kind of pine, lasted almost 10 years. I replaced it all with White Oak, only lasted 3-4 years. Really surprised me. We often let hot steaming chips set on it over night or over the weekend if it was raining when we got home. Couldn't get down to the chip field when it was too wet. That might have had something to do with breaking down the Oak. But, the Pine held up well. Don't know how the Ash will hold up as floor boards.

Most of what I cut is ash. Almost everyone around here is trying to move the ash as much as they can. It's dying quick here and turning punky in the middle. I cut a bunch down last week and only 1 out of 7 was white inside. Lots of guys sell mixed hardwood so maple, ash, cherry, walnut, beec. Logging companies are removing all the ash from bushes.
I bought a sawmill last fall so I could cut some of the bigger stuff into boards or live edge. Wasn't able to buy time though so the band mill just on the trailer waiting for me.

I've milled White Ash and it's not as bad as White Oak or Hickory.

My Dad bought a brand new 72 Chevy 12' stake body. Side and Floor boards were some kind of pine, lasted almost 10 years. I replaced it all with White Oak, only lasted 3-4 years. Really surprised me. We often let hot steaming chips set on it over night or over the weekend if it was raining when we got home. Couldn't get down to the chip field when it was too wet. That might have had something to do with breaking down the Oak. But, the Pine held up well. Don't know how the Ash will hold up as floor boards.
the pine was probably treated. I haul a tractor now and then and am worried the pine may not be strong enough. it has ash or some kind of oak on it now. I occasionally left wood chips or topsoil sitting on it which im sure made it rot quicker

Ash is what baseball bats are made from.

I wish it was driving prices down. I've been too busy this year to get much firewood in, but locally I'm seeing $225 per cord for green $275 for "seasoned," which usually means it was at least 48 hours from when it was split to when it hit the delivery truck. Breaks my heart to see all the ash the Asplundh trucks have knocked down just rotting in the woods behind POSTED signs.

Both ash and hickory make good handles and bats. Ash however splits easy where as hickory is so stringy it refuses to come apart. They both however are very susceptible to bugs as evidence of the ash beetle, and all the sawdust that bugs make in my hickory stacks.
I really need to figure out how to treat my own lumber so it last longer than treated lumber does.

Both ash and hickory make good handles and bats. Ash however splits easy where as hickory is so stringy it refuses to come apart. They both however are very susceptible to bugs as evidence of the ash beetle, and all the sawdust that bugs make in my hickory stacks.
I really need to figure out how to treat my own lumber so it last longer than treated lumber does.
Things are different now but when I was a kid any raw wood sheds we built on the farm we painted them with used motor oil.

woodfarmer, if you enlarge this picture you can see the punky spots in the ends of the logs. This is from a wetter section of the bush I'm logging. Most of the trees had about half of their leaves this year. Lots more branches falling down and lots of 6 to 10" trees falling over. I'm having a hard time keeping up with them. You can also see the marks from the chain tooth that caught the barb wire. Man, it's a grabby chain now, cuts to beat heck though.
20181021_104413.jpg

I think more sugar maple is used now - more resistant to splitting. My cousin gets loads of the waste "ends" from a factory and makes things from them. I machined a couple boxes of them for her and most were sugar maple but some were still Ash.

If you're talking about real cords - holy crap that is some cheap wood.

Back