is gb chain any good ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had some GB chain on a Solo 639 one time.It was several years ago but it was some really good chain.Loved the bars too.Can't say for sure if they are any good these days or not.:confused2:

in a word in aussie wood no quality ain't real good ether, look at the first cutter and there was about six like that on that chain, it is ok if you need practice sharpening it's like oregon soft

attachment.php

Last edited:
in a word in aussie wood no quality ain't real good ether, look at the first cutter and there was about six like that on that chain, it is ok if you need practice sharpening it's like oregon soft

attachment.php

thank you i cut 90% hard wood so i might give it a mis

Last edited:

attachment.php

Can't be softer that Oregon chain is it ?

If it's old, old stock it's re-branded Carlton, the newer Evo stuff is Chinese and I haven't heard anything nice about it so far, but I haven't heard anything about it in the last twelve months anyway, so ????

Matt might know more, he's more up on the current state of play, maybe even drop him a PM with a link to here ?

If it's the old Carlton stuff it'll be fine, it just doesn't have the anti-vibe chassis of later Stihl or Oregon chain but cuts really well in my experience.
That's not an issue on a saw with decent AV either, but Stihl users might notice it :monkey: :D
GB switched to Chinese made 'EVO' chain when JakMax took over the Carlton distributorship here.

The EVO chain introduction goes back over four years now http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/107999.htm#post1700501

thumbs up

It is rebranded Carlton chain as Sawtroll and others alluded to.Imho opinion it is between Stihl and Oregon in edge durability.I like it.

that chain in my pic is about 15 months old and came in an

evo11 box and it is crap chinga chain nothing like carlton.

and not worth $3 a 55 dl chain and that chain is 404 and

would not even cut a meter of stringy so god knows what

the 3/8 and 325 is like.

Last edited:
well ill pick up a loop of the 3/8 when im in town next and
when i get to run it ill report what its like

read all that info in the link and it is a shame

Last edited:
My turn to contribute for once. I'm not a pro but I've spent plenty of time using and working on my own saws.

Tried a new loop of evo 11, 0.325 semi for the first time last week. Usually use stihl. It was on my rebuilt 024 with a 15" GB solid bar that I use when camping. Cut a full tanks worth of Tuart at about 7-8" diam, it's true hardwood with a tight, interlocked grain. The wood was clean, bark on and had fallen a few weeks previously.

The evo 11 did fine. The evo's cutters were still effective and retained a half decent edge when finished. The Stihl chains have a lot less lateral flex when off the bar and are obviously of much better quality in other areas such as constsitancy of cutter grind.

However when you factor in the massive price difference ($15 vs $50 here in Oz) and that it did the job well enough there's a pretty strong argument for it. Would I use evo 11 on the 361? Probably. Will be intresting to see how the 0.325 evo 11 loop lasts c/f the Stihl.

Last edited:
i agree shouldn't have been any more than $48...................HAHA

well $26 any way it's $33 for 72 of 3/8 20" here

Last edited:
Back