Is Hickory tough to cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I went and looked at a big Hickory tree (what’s left of it) that blew over a few months ago. I’m bad for estimating tree size, but I’m guessing I might need to use my 28” bar on both sides of the tree…guessing 36” diameter, give or take. The guy (landowner) was able to cut the smaller limbs up himself, so he wants the rest of the tree cut up and I get the wood. I’ll have to be careful because the tree broke off about 6’ from the ground and is still attached. I’ll start from the top of the tree and carefully work my way back to the stump. Anyway…my main question is Hickory wood tough to cut? I have never cut it before. My biggest saw is my 044 (older muffler with bigger exhaust opening and DP muffler cover) and I’m wondering if the 28” bar with skip chain will do the job. I know I need a ‘066 size’ saw for this tree, but I don’t have such a saw, and don’t know anybody around here that has one.

And yeah…no pics…I was in a hurry to leave the house on other errands and didn’t think to take the camera (or measuring tape). I’ll try and get some pics later.

Kevin

Hickory

It is a hard wood yes.. Not so hard that you have a reason to buy a new saw.
Just a sharp chain and you will be good to go.

Hickory isn't tough to cut as long as you have a good sharp chain(preferebly chisel chain). Your saw should do just fine in the tree. I have cut a few 36" hickorys with my 441 and 25" b/c with no problem. The worst part about hickory is splitting it !!! If is a real PITA if you don't have a splitter. The wood is very "stringy". Congrats on your find and happy sawing Steve:chainsaw: :cheers:

It is a hard wood yes.. Not so hard that you have a reason to buy a new saw.
Just a sharp chain and you will be good to go.

Thanks. Good to hear cause buying a bigger saw (not running or running) is just not gonna happen anytime soon. The next item of value to try and buy will be a second-hand piano for my wife...and hopefully my li'l girl will take after her mother's music ability.

The chain will be kept sharp.

Kevin

Hickory isn't tough to cut as long as you have a good sharp chain(preferebly chisel chain). Your saw should do just fine in the tree. I have cut a few 36" hickorys with my 441 and 25" b/c with no problem. The worst part about hickory is splitting it !!! If is a real PITA if you don't have a splitter. The wood is very "stringy". Congrats on your find and happy sawing Steve:chainsaw: :cheers:

The wood is clean, so the Oregon 72JGX chain from Bailey's should do. I do have access to a splitter. The more I think about this tree...the more I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew...

Kevin

Thanks. Good to hear cause buying a bigger saw (not running or running) is just not gonna happen anytime soon. The next item of value to try and buy will be a second-hand piano for my wife...and hopefully my li'l girl will take after her mother's music ability.

The chain will be kept sharp.

Kevin

Dog gone it there was one in the free adds not too many moons ago, free if you could load needed tuning but it was a good old upright. I will keep my eyes open for ya!

Dog gone it there was one in the free adds not too many moons ago, free if you could load needed tuning but it was a good old upright. I will keep my eyes open for ya!

Sounds good! Have trailer...will travel...well...not to far...within reason :). I have wanted to get her a digital piano (I wish I could...she deserves the best), but we talked about it yesterday and she'll be happy with a nice, well kept, used acoustic piano. I realize that after moving an acoustic piano that it will need tuning.

Kevin

I cut a 3 year dead hickory about 30 inches around on thanksgiving weekend. I cut it with a 046 and a 25" bar and it was tough cutting. I think your 044 would do it, just a little slower.

I cut a 3 year dead hickory about 30 inches around on thanksgiving weekend. I cut it with a 046 and a 25" bar and it was tough cutting. I think your 044 would do it, just a little slower.

Yep, I expect I'll be there cutting for a while. I'll be taking my time so I don't get hurt.

Kevin

I just cut up an entire shagbark that blew down from the remnants of Hurricane Ike (early September), but it was only 18" at the base. Oh, and I did this with a safety chain (RMC3) on an MS290!!! Not too bad (bl. locust is tougher). It was indeed a little stringy when splitting with an 8 lb. maul.

Last edited:
The wood is clean, so the Oregon 72JGX chain from Bailey's should do. I do have access to a splitter. The more I think about this tree...the more I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew...

Kevin

Kevin, I bit off more tree than I could chew last summer.

And I'm glad I did! It was a lot of work, but I've got a nice pile of VERY dry oak just waiting for the woodstove....

As for splitting... I have not found hickory to be stringy AT ALL. Maybe a different variety? Anyway, the hickory around here splits very nicely.

Kevin, I bit off more tree than I could chew last summer.

And I'm glad I did! It was a lot of work, but I've got a nice pile of VERY dry oak just waiting for the woodstove....

As for splitting... I have not found hickory to be stringy AT ALL. Maybe a different variety? Anyway, the hickory around here splits very nicely.

I saw the pictures with the tape stretched across some of the rounds...do you remember what they measured?

Kevin

I don't know about there but around here in Missouri hickory is very hard to split. You will definitely need a splitter. I would look into selling the wood also alot of bbq places give good money for hickory.:chainsaw:

Hey Kevin good to see ya postin, Hickory is not bad to cut if it's green. I cut some dead stuff a while back, don't know how long it had been that way but it was like cutting a steel plate. I had to sharpen quite often. You could see sparks flying from the chain at about dark. It was some good wood though. People will buy hickory from you at a decent price, Especially someone who has a bbq pit or smokehouse ans sells hickory smoked meat.

Of course you have all of our permission to buy the 066 :chainsaw: .It really is the the saw for the job.Sounds like you have your priorities in order;good luck with the tree, that 044 will do a splendid job.

Who know's...sell the 970 and use the money towards an old 064? I'm kinda attached to the 970...my first "bigger" saw...came along at a great price and just what I needed at the time to compliment my 260. And the 044 is really nice to cut with. But I don't need two 70cc class saws. Decisions, decisions. For now I'll just keep on cuttin' (and splittin' and stackin') and be thankful to have the saws I have :).

Kevin

Sounds good! Have trailer...will travel...well...not to far...within reason :). I have wanted to get her a digital piano (I wish I could...she deserves the best), but we talked about it yesterday and she'll be happy with a nice, well kept, used acoustic piano. I realize that after moving an acoustic piano that it will need tuning.

Kevin

The pie- ana is actually a percussion instrument, like a geetar, drum or string harp. It is cause you have to strike the strings to play it. I just thought that was interesting and I am sure a properly tuned pie-ana will sound way better than any chainsaw.
If you are looking on CL try posting in the wanted section.

I don't know about there but around here in Missouri hickory is very hard to split. You will definitely need a splitter. I would look into selling the wood also alot of bbq places give good money for hickory.:chainsaw:

Hey Kevin good to see ya postin, Hickory is not bad to cut if it's green. I cut some dead stuff a while back, don't know how long it had been that way but it was like cutting a steel plate. I had to sharpen quite often. You could see sparks flying from the chain at about dark. It was some good wood though. People will buy hickory from you at a decent price, Especially someone who has a bbq pit or smokehouse ans sells hickory smoked meat.

stihl sawing, I guess I'm still pretty green to saws and firewood, so I don't have much to post about except to ask for help or advice. I'd like to help out others more...but I want to give good, sound advice or help...but I'm still learnin' myself :).

About selling the Hickory, about 2 or 3 years ago I got a small amount of Hickory (that had already been bucked...I didn't have to cut any of it) and the guy I got it from had knew someone who wanted it busted up into pieces for BBQing. So I went to town with a maul and busted it up, loaded it up in my pickup, delivered and made a few bucks.

Kevin

Back