Is it profitable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnf0929

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone ever figured out what one guy with a chainsaw and small splitter can do production wise? I get log length wood for about $85/cord and the going rate around here is $200 and up. I've always cut and split for my own personal use in my spare time so I never really kept track. Wondering if it's worth getting a few more truck loads and picking up some extra income or would I be breaking my back for minimum wage. Thanks for any advice.

When I started out doing it the way you suggest, I figured at the end of the year I cleared about $3/hour. The only way to be profitable is to use alot of (expensive) machines to do the (high-volume) work for you:cry:

one guy can do alot if he plans ...the way he cuts, splits and stacks

the key to it is not having to haul or handel it alot

I sell a few cords for Christmas money.You need to get the wood for free or as close to free as possible.Your not gonna make a lot of profit small scale.But I do it because it is something I like doing,is an excuse to buy more chainsaws and the wood almost sells itself.The last two months people have been pulling into the yard asking about buying wood.I don't even have my signs up yet.If I had to buy the wood I am not sure I would bother.See if you can find some sources for cheaper wood.I am lucky enough to have a cutting permit for Water Co. land a mile and half from my house.It is $15 to $10 a cord ( it goes down in price the more you cut ).The Forrester marked 12 cord for me to cut.So to me it is worth it.Some guys have to travel for their wood or pay too much for it to make a profit.What the heck why not make a couple bucks under the Tax mans radar.

Why not flip burgers at the fast food joint for the same profit and no bad back?

You got that right. If you want benefits, work for the post office. One of my brothers makes $60k a year there. Bucking trees and splitting firewood is hard labor, and the profits are slim. I do it for the firewood and the exercise. No need to pay to join a gym, and it is good workout.

But do that for a living??? No... you need a large lot, saws, conveyors, large splitters, and a herd of Mexicans to make that profitable around here. :chainsaw:

Last edited:
But do that for a living??? No... you need a large lot, saws, conveyors, large splitters, and a herd of Mexicans to make that profitable around here. :chainsaw:

Here too..... which was exactly my point. Don't get me wrong, i sell two or three cord / yr. , but i get my wood for free. Its ALOT of work. Why not spend the same amount of time, one tenth the effort, to make considerably more elsewhere.

Thanks for all your input.

I actually have a full time job with benefits - firefighter- but have a very unique schedule - 24 hours on 72 off which is what got me thinking about firewood for some extra $. I'm not afraid of hard work in fact I'd rather be outside collecting shopping carts than working in an office but if there isn't't any money in it might as well cut what I need and call it quits. Some of you mention free or really cheap wood but most of the guys around here who sell firewood buy log lengths and the magic number is somewhere around $85-$90 a cord so they must either really love what they do or they find it worthwhile working in between what they pay and $200 plus for the cut/split stuff. Most of them work full time jobs and do this on the side. Keep the comments coming.

DNF0929, You said $85-$90 a cord and it sells for $200.Is that $200 picked up or delivered?Last I checked around here on the shoreline of Ct. a cord of logs delivered to my house was priced at $125.If those fellas are delivering a cord for $200 and had to pay $90 for the logs.Boy I don't think there is alot of profit after you figure in gas for the saw,the splitter and the truck.It is definitely harder to get free wood now than it was even two years ago.I used to have tree services dropping off at my yard,now those guys have a waiting list.But you can always keep checking Craigs list or see who gives out cutting permits in your area.I got a fair amount of wood last fall following the tree services around that were clearing power lines.And I guess it depends on how much you think your time is worth.I know I will keep selling firewood I was $125 a 1/2 cord delivered last year and it looks like $150 a half this year.The 12 to 15 cords I sell is nice extra cash at Christmas time.

You got that right. If you want benefits, work for the post office. One of my brothers makes $60k a year there. Bucking trees and splitting firewood is hard labor, and the profits are slim. I do it for the firewood and the exercise. No need to pay to join a gym, and it is good workout.

You got that right..:agree2: :agree2: :agree2:

Has anyone ever figured out what one guy with a chainsaw and small splitter can do production wise? I get log length wood for about $85/cord and the going rate around here is $200 and up. I've always cut and split for my own personal use in my spare time so I never really kept track. Wondering if it's worth getting a few more truck loads and picking up some extra income or would I be breaking my back for minimum wage. Thanks for any advice.

Nope. About 3 hours a week of overtime is much more worthwhile. Unless you are like me and really enjoy the hard work, forget about it.

I also buy log loads from local loggers. A lot less dangerous and less liability. Think about it this way - if you sell a few face cords -picked up -out of every load you are reducing your cost for your heat. The more you sell and the higher the price the lower your heat cost. if you can deliver it you can charge even more. We have been selling from in front of the house for quite a few years. All picked up -no delivery but I will help load. Yes its a lot of time, energy etc but to be able to reduce the cost of heat is worth it and ---its a perfect excuse to buy new saws!!!

dnf0929...how do you like your huskee 22 ton splitter, i am thinking of getting one..thanx, Dan

Dan,

If you haven't gotten a splitter yet, I would look into Husky's 35 ton splitter.
We split mainly large oak, ash and some stringy elm. This is our second season on the splitter and it works great. Haven't found anything big enough to stop it yet. Hope this helps.

Beleive it or not I have access to free wood - in-laws own 230 acres - but the scenario goes like this. Drive pick-up into woods/fell/limb/buck/load/drive home/unload/split/stack/reload. For personal use I don't mind doing a few cords this way but if I was going to do more to sell those first few steps seem like a lot of wear and tear on man and machine. I'm still new to this so I'll ride the wave of energy and enthusiasm. In a few months I'll probably be cynical as well.

I guess it depends how much you want to ut and what you want to make. There is one point most people are missing. You don't have to punch a time clock for anyone. You can work the hours you want. You can work short of long hours. If you want to make more money then work more. Also I think it would be hard to make any money with a standard hydraulic splitter. They just take to long to split. They might do a good job and get the job done but for production and making any real money they just don't cut it. The key if you are delivering it to be able to take a lot at a time. That cuts your delivery time down and also your fuel bills. I will deliver wood 60 miles away. That sounds like a long way. But I set up other customers in that area or on the way. If I take 8 ranks (4x8x16") with me that's a lot of deliveries. If I drive 140 miles for the day total that is 17.5 miles per rank. If someone else says they only deliver within 10 miles they could drive 20 miles per rank. I would have that average beat. I was getting $300 a cord last year. This year it will be $360 to new customers. You won't get rich off firewood but in the right area with the correct setup you can make some pretty decent money. And the most important thing is you can be your own boss and do it the way you want.

Scott

I felled and bucked and hauled and cut and stacked and burned firewood at my ex-GF's ranch for 4 years. It was fun at times (on non snow, rain or stormy says). Looking back, I would prefer to have had a time card and benefits now though, and I would have a lot more money in the long run on the time card. And felling and bucking and splitting and hauling and stacking and selling and driving and dumping wood is a REALLY hard living. I am very fit as a result, and maybe I added a few years to my life doing all that hard work. But still, the risk, and danger involved with felling and cutting wood??? One has to wonder. :monkey:

Cutting and selling wood is like raising sheep or growing corn. Minimal reward for a hell of a lot of very hard work. Flipping burgers is far far is easier, even with all the BS office politics and a-hole bosses and meetings and all that crap. Go home and there nothing to worry about. No chains to sharpen, ads to post, phone calls to make, or wood to load or deliver. Just watch TV and drink a beer, pass out, and get up and do it again.

Last edited:

Not much profit in what you are talking about. Stick with your personal use.

I thought about this aswell.. Next year I'm on the list for 5 cord in 4' length already split.. I could easily get 10 cord and sell the extra 5 to re-coup some of my cost and get my wood for less..

I think it all boils down to you time.. how much is it worth to you?

I agree with everyone else. if you have to buy wood, there really isnt much money to be had.
I get my wood for free, and generally speaking i can cut and load my trailer with 4 ricks of wood in about 2 hours. I then split and stack in about 2 hours.
All told I average a little bit more than 5 hours including travel time to get 4 ricks of wood ready for sale. At 60 bucks a rick I average about 10 bucks and hour after fuel etc. Not a lot, but when you consider the fact that it is all under the table it is equivent to about 15 bucks an hour working somewhere where they take taxes and such out of your paycheck.
Again, not a lot of money, but it all comes in handy during the slow winter months for me.

Back